Quick Draw Change(?

tyleto

I was playing around with Ike yesterday, and I really love his quick draw. Although its very hard sometimes to actually be able to connect other moves when you cancel the quick draw. If you do however connect it more times than not you won't be able to follow up with another move because your'e already halfway across the stage, so I had an idea. Why not consider stopping all momentum when you cancel his quick draw with a move, besides another quick draw? I believe that this will make combos easier and more doable. What do ya think?

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
I'm not an Ike main, so my thoughts may not match up properly more experienced players, but I'm fine with how the quick draw cancel currently works. I mainly cancel quick draw into fsmash or usmash, which can be pretty useful as a finisher because of the surprising speed. Also, I believe Ike's jab causes quick draw to lose all momentum, and because Ike's jab is amazing it's possible to follow up with dtilt, grab, and probably other things that I don't know or remember.

Junior_Z

The Blazing Star
I'm not an Ike main, so my thoughts may not match up properly more experienced players, but I'm fine with how the quick draw cancel currently works. I mainly cancel quick draw into fsmash or usmash, which can be pretty useful as a finisher because of the surprising speed. Also, I believe Ike's jab causes quick draw to lose all momentum, and because Ike's jab is amazing it's possible to follow up with dtilt, grab, and probably other things that I don't know or remember.
I'm 99% sure that jab doesn't cancel Ike's momentum, unfortunately. I've fiddled with Ike a bit and i have to agree that you tend to not get much off of QD cancels because of the momentum, which is arguable Ike's most important tool. Perhaps instead of cancelling momentum whenever you cancel, just have jab/dtilt cancel momentum, since those lead into other things, and the slide is appreciated on the laggier moves to help with their safety on shield.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
I'm 99% sure that jab doesn't cancel Ike's momentum, unfortunately. I've fiddled with Ike a bit and i have to agree that you tend to not get much off of QD cancels because of the momentum, which is arguable Ike's most important tool. Perhaps instead of cancelling momentum whenever you cancel, just have jab/dtilt cancel momentum, since those lead into other things, and the slide is appreciated on the laggier moves to help with their safety on shield.
Ah, I see. Sorry for the misinformation. I should really mess around with Ike more...
I'd love for jab/dtilt to halt all of quick draw's momentum then. We'd get the best of both worlds: the ability to reliably follow up with Ike's fastest option and a handy finisher.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
It's actually Jab 2 that stops his momentum. If you can quickly do both jabs and hit someone out of a QD cancel, you can combo into said above options. It's just not practical to use two hits of Ike's jab out of QD, since there are better options, like cancelling into Ftilt, then jump Bair at low percents. Ike's combo game with QD cancelling is actually pretty cool when you go into the lab with it.

Brawl Minus VS

As an Ike main, I feel I should chime in. I'm gonna have to agree with Darx, the current Quick Draw is actually very nice for Ike. As with many other characters in Minus, if you learn to play with the conserved momentum of your character while moving (i.e. using F-Smash after Quick Draw as Ike, Up-Smash after neutral-B as Marth, Up-Smash after just dashing as Falcon, etc.), the game gains a lot more combo potential, as well as more chances for mix-ups. One trick I use when playing Ike is to read the spot dodge on an opponent and do an F-Smash in the opposite direction. Assuming you're Quick Draw-ing to the right, if you F-smash to the left, you'll continue moving right, but you'll hit behind you. It's a great play for mind games.