Project Ganondorf

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Take a look at this!

Amazing. Wouldn't it be great if we could get that ported to Minus?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

I think it's unlikely, because we'd need two Ganondorf clones. I also have no idea if they'd be well-balanced [too strong (unlikely) or too weak (seems likely given that it was designs for PM) or where they belong (possible but unlikely)]. It also looks like a lot of extra work for the dev team, but it's not something to rule out entirely (as it does look fairly interesting).

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I think it's unlikely, because we'd need two Ganondorf clones. I also have no idea if they'd be well-balanced [too strong (unlikely) or too weak (seems likely given that it was designs for PM) or where they belong (possible but unlikely)]. It also looks like a lot of extra work for the dev team, but it's not something to rule out entirely (as it does look fairly interesting).
I didn't mean for official use -- I thought that would be apparent, this being posted in the Custom Mods section.

I don't expect the devs to support this at all, officially. But I would love to see this project at least playable in Custom Minus.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Funny you bring this up. I proposed this to Pin last week. Still never got a response about it tho.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I was especially impressed by magic-based Ganondorf.

The Float, the Cape, and the Energy Ball, even the Ground Punch -- they're all there, and they look great.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Funny you bring this up. I proposed this to Pin last week. Still never got a response about it tho.
Mostly because you proposed this for official Minus, and you know how I feel about alternate forms with a weapon or officially replacing Minus' signature Ganondorf with something else.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
That looks really cool, but as mentioned wouldn't be doable for official Minus (too many dorfs) and if any of it is reliant on PM gct coding it'll be very difficult to port. As with anything though, if you have permission to modify whatever content you're working with I can generally provide help on technical coding aspects.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Mostly because you proposed this for official Minus, and you know how I feel about alternate forms with a weapon or officially replacing Minus' signature Ganondorf with something else.
Let me guess... You think new modes would overshadow vanilla Minus 'Dorf?
Ness
Bat Mode Removed
I feel as if we owe an explanation on this one. While bat mode was neat and did technically give Ness more options, the ability to change movesets without changing who he is took away from what made Ness Ness, and those who knew about Bat Mode would generally ignore Ness' normal moveset for the shiny new toy.
The difference here is, Ness is fine without Bat Mode, while 'Dorf has been suffering from Ganondorf Syndrome since Melee. Smash fans have clamored for a revamped moveset for him for years, but of course Sakurai insists on keeping FalconDorf...

I'm sure a lot of Minus players would love to see those signature Dark Magic moves from Ocarina of Time on Ganondorf.

I still say that -- in Custom builds -- at the very least, the 666% Warlock Punch should be replaced with a more useful, versatile Neutral B that better represents Ganondorf's character. Project M embraced the change, why can't we? Make the OHKO WP a secret taunt if it's so essential.

Mawootad said this around six months ago...
Mawootad said:
The Warlock Punch OHKO is above "Minus Staple", it's one something that defines what Minus is and thus not something that cannot be changed without fundamentally weakening the identity of the mod. So even if someone comes up with a Warlock Punch that's just all around admittedly better than a slow, unsafe OHKO we still wouldn't change things (and in case anyone is wondering, that's basically the only gameplay related thing that's not up for debate).

But now that we're trying to balance for a more competitive, less over-the-top metagame, it's a fine time to reconsider that stance (for Custom builds). What I said back then still applies...
Bent 00 said:
...Of all the cool new moves the Minus Team has made, OHKO WP is the one you hold in highest regard? I know it's one of the oldest, but it's also one of the most simple, and the most extreme. As-is, WP "Breaks the Limits" in the most uncreative way possible:

"Let's take the most powerful move in the game and make it... even MORE powerful!"

[...] I recall a dev saying that you all want to make moves that are polished; high-quality; professionally made. Not moves that anyone can throw together in PSA by changing a few digits.

Bent 00 said:
OHKO WP is not the move I'd say best represents Minus. Far from it. [...] Leaving it in its current, wildly impractical state just seems lazy to me.

Hurray for Custom builds!

That looks really cool, but as mentioned wouldn't be doable [...] (too many dorfs)
Here's an idea: In a Custom build, perhaps one could use a modified form of ds22's "Hold Shield for Giga or Sopo" code to have 2 or 3 versions of Ganondorf "hidden" in one CSS slot? Maybe the default set could be Minus/Magic mode, and the secret one could be Minus/Sword mode.

Disclaimer: This post is not advocating for the official Minus Ganondorf to be changed in any way.
It is simply stating an opinion of the way things currently are, and proposing how a Custom build could improve them.

Gold_TSG

It's too awesome not to use, especially if PM already has its own Dorf. Even if not official, if someone could make it compatible with Minus, I believe people would be super happy.

Gold_TSG

Would you consider coming back anyways?

When something big enough happens that draws me away from Dorf's awesomeness in Smash 4, probably.

Valravn

Interesting; I didn't get into Smash 4 because I didn't like their version of Ganondorf one bit. He feels really static, and doesn't have the kind of movement he used to in Melee and especially PM. I liked Brawl Ganondorf a bit because he was at least able to cheese people to death with powerful hits when they weren't paying attention, and the Minus version amplifies that. Ganon4th doesn't really have any strengths that jump out at me.

Mohl

That looks really cool, but as mentioned wouldn't be doable for official Minus (too many dorfs) and if any of it is reliant on PM gct coding it'll be very difficult to port. As with anything though, if you have permission to modify whatever content you're working with I can generally provide help on technical coding aspects.
"too many dorfs"

Mufugga ain't enough dorf. Pika-dorf, falcon-dorf, Mr. Game and Dorf.

More ganon aint enough ganon.

In actuality, it'd be neat to have this ganon in his own slot. I mean, we all love warlock punch as it is, and taking it from ganon to give him a more realistic moveset? Nonsense. Just make that shit into OOT ganon as a sort of Toon Ganon or something.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Windwaker Ganon?
Minus Dev Team: "Too much work, forget it." (what I think they'd say)

Making Minus/Sword 'Dorf (Twilight Princess model) and Minus/Magic 'Dorf (Ocarina of Time model) seems much more feasible, though.

GANONDORF JUST WANTS TO PLAY TENNIS
tumblr_mc7pgtspng1r8mkhuo1_r1_250.gif

Gold_TSG

Interesting; I didn't get into Smash 4 because I didn't like their version of Ganondorf one bit. He feels really static, and doesn't have the kind of movement he used to in Melee and especially PM. I liked Brawl Ganondorf a bit because he was at least able to cheese people to death with powerful hits when they weren't paying attention, and the Minus version amplifies that. Ganon4th doesn't really have any strengths that jump out at me.

Officially speaking, I don't care to compare him to his clonier iteration, so that doesn't work for me. Dorf 4th is extremely powerful and can kill earlier than pretty much every character, as well as having the strongest meteors in the game, and the strongest hitting move that isn't a charge and hold. I get more fun out of this Dorf than any other because he can go toe to toe with almost everyone in this game, and being a read/punish character just works for him. Any smart Dorf can take on someone as good as Sheik so long as they play right, which is more than can be said about Meleedorf or Brawldorf.

Gold_TSG

The others were doing it and I wanted to be cool too.

Valravn

That's a good question. Anywho, there's no denying that Brawl Ganondorf was one of the worst - if not the worst - characters in the game. In Melee, he had some significant flaws but could do cool stuff. Bizzarro Flame recently took a game off of Armada at INY, it was pretty sick. It takes an incredible player, but Ganon can be fast. Being powerful is important, but it doesn't feel like the same character without the ability to suddenly get up in someone's grill with an aerial and beat the stuffing out of them for getting stuck in their dash dance. Project M Ganondorf actually has the potential to be a top character because he takes that strength and burst movement, then pairs it with an incredible recovery and mindgame tool in Hover. He might not have the strongest meteors in the game, but he does have three spikes and a (very much more momentum-based) suicide command grab.

EDIT: Welcome to Ganondorf General Discussion.

Gold_TSG

The only problem I have with Melee/PM Dorf is that his speed and ability is more artificial than natural. If you can't wavedash/L-cancel like a pro, he is slow, clunky and can't keep up with the fast chars even discounting the advanced techs/exploits. This is absent in Smash 4, as no one has those to abuse, and he is deceptively fast in the right hands. On top of that, thanks to rage and his weight, he can annihilate the lighter chars in a matter of like 3-4 hits when he gets the right reads.