Official Tournament #4: The SIX-SIX 6th Anniversary Tournament!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
365bf6811c.png

Did you know that on March 27th, 2010, Brawl Minus 1.0 was officially released? That means that our 6th anniversary is coming up, and we'd like to celebrate that with all of you, by hosting another tournament! The date is set for March 26h, at 8PM EST/5PM PST,

1. Download the Official Netplay Build here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/it79bim9lbcj3cl/4.0b+Netplay+Build.zip
2. Register for the tournament here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/Ny4mTOVP1H
3. On March 26th from 7:00 PM EST/4:00PM PST-8:00 PM EST/5:00PM PST, check in for the tournament on the same link you used to register!
4. Go to the chat here to meet up with the other participants: https://forums.brawlminus.net/pages/chatroom/
5. Once the tournament starts, find your foes and play your games!

You will also be able to watch the tournament here! twitch.tv/BrawlMinus

NOTE: You must use the official netplay build! If you have downloaded it before January 17th, 2016, you will have to download the latest version, or else there will be desynchs!

Now, for the rules!

• 1v1 Tournament, Brawl Minus 4.0b Netplay build only.
  • Items are set to Off and None.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches. The semi-finals (winners and losers), finals (winners and losers), and Grand Finals sets will be in best of 5 format.
  • In the Grand Finals, the entrant from the Winner's Bracket has to win one set of best of 5, while the entrant from the Loser's Bracket must win two sets.
  • Blatant stalling is prohibited. What is considered stalling is up to the Tournament Host to determine.
  • Chaingrabs are limited to 3 of the same throw in a row. (EX: Pichu dThrow)
  • Suicide Rule: If a match ends by both remaining players losing their last stock at the same time due to a suicide move (EX: Flame Choke, Galactic Crusher) then the initiator of the suicide move is considered the winner of the match regardless of what the results screen says, and no tiebreaker is played.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match with one life and 3 minutes of time, using the same characters on the same stage. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
Stages
Round 1: Each player strikes 2 stages, and the last stage remaining is chosen. The strike order is 1-2-2-1. In other words, one person strikes one, the second person strikes twice, and the first strikes last.
Round 2: Counterpick stages can now be selected. The Winner of the last round strikes 3 stages, and the loser of round 1 can choose any remaining stage to play the second match on.

Starters:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Spear Pillar
Counterpicks:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Lavander Town
  • Castle Siege
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Warioware

And the prizes, as usual. We would like to thank Mawootad and Tashiki for their contributions.

1st place: $50
2nd place: $30
3rd place: $20

Prizes will be distributed via Paypal. If you do not have a Paypal account, we will look into alternative ways to hand you your winnings. If there is an issue, please contact me about it and I will see what can be done. Do not share payment info until requested.

As Brawl Minus enters its 6th year, we will continue to BREAK THE LIMITS even further than we have before!

Last edited:

bandeaux

Oh, you know, that one DK main.
Whoa, wait. HOLD THE PHONE.

Brawl Minus was released on my birthday?

That's some really cool beans. I wish I could participate in the tournament. I do have everything available, the only problem is I'll be away from the computer at the time.

EDIT: Scratch that. I can participate, lucky me. I'll go ahead and sign myself up.

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
So, this marks two official Netplay Tournaments in a row. Does that mean that official WiFi/Wiimfi Tourneys are no longer going to happen?

WiFi/Wiimfi only lost to Netplay by 3 votes in the Heartbreaker Tourney poll. I call bias.

I estimate nearly half of the Minus community can only use WiFi/Wiimfi, and they're going to be excluded from the 6th Anniversary Tournament mainly because it's easier to stream on Netplay. When did streaming become more important than including all of the community? Netplay isn't that much better than WiFi/Wiimfi in terms of connection quality, is it?

At least have a WiFi/Wiimfi side-event or something, for those of us who can't use Netplay.

I want to see some Warlock Punches [...]
Good luck with that. Thor and I can't use Netplay.

Last edited:

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
So, this marks two official Netplay Tournaments in a row. Does that mean that official WiFi/Wiimfi Tourneys are no longer going to happen?

WiFi/Wiimfi only lost to Netplay by 3 votes in the Heartbreaker Tourney poll. I call bias.

I estimate nearly half of the Minus community can only use WiFi/Wiimfi, and they're going to be excluded from the 6th Anniversary Tournament mainly because it's easier to stream on Netplay. When did streaming become more important than including all of the community? Netplay isn't that much better than WiFi/Wiimfi in terms of connection quality, is it?

At least have a WiFi/Wiimfi side-event or something, for those of us who can't use Netplay.

We're going netplay because most of the community on the forums wants and and an overwhelming majority of the Reddit crowd is also netplay. If you want a wifi tournament, attend Doqk's tournament.

666DAMAGE

"SIX SIX SIX DAMAAAAGE!!"

I love you and all but we had 2 Wi-Fi tournies and this marks the second netplay one. That makes it even but the truth is I don't think they'll ever move off of it and here are numerous reasons why.

Reason #1: It's 2016
It's not unreasonable in 2016 to expect people to get 60fps in Dolphin, It's on Windows, Mac, Linux and Android, crank settings down, play in exclusive fullscreen, shut other applications. It works well on some phones and tablets these days.

Reason #2: People
6hL484y.png

Simply put, numbers didn't exactly suffer for the netplay tournament. Turns out quite a few people don't have a Wii anymore (like our very own dev Mawootad) and most people can do both.

Reason #3: The Stream
  • It's much easier for me to just get codes the day of rather than spend half hour of my life typing in codes with a d-pad and god forbid my list is full, that's a completely new headache.
  • The stream looks better due to Dolphin rendering at a higher resolution.
  • The screen doesn't darken if we don't jiggle a stick every 10 minutes.
  • Killing Sonic 4 times a match is time consuming.
  • The game slowing down all the time is time consuming.
  • Load times are time consuming.
  • I don't have to retweak the overlay again.
  • Halberd matches start mid-way through the stage's cycle.

Reason #4: Input Lag
  • You know all those weird double tapping tricks Darxmarx told us about when doing his Kirby stuff online? That all becomes totally unnecessary on Dolphin.
  • The games were also a lot more offensive and we saw a much deeper, faster, combo oriented metagame.
  • The above also led to a much shorter tournament, I wasn't collapsing at 2am because everyone played scaredy-cat in their shield due to everything being so unsafe in lag.
Reason #5: The Future

Dolphin, the netplay build and computer/mobile technology will improve for the foreseeable future. The Wii won't. Wi-Fi won't.

In closing, I love that the good Doqtor got Wi-Fi up and running by default in Minus. It is cool as hell and really shows the team cares for the game to even go that far but the reality is for a tournament that's supposed to be showing off what Minus is, lag-o-land isn't the place to do it. It's harder on me, it's harder on the players, it's harder on the organizers and getting Dolphin going in today's technological climate is not asking too much of anyone.

That being said, I essentially just work for the devs I'll do whatever they say and I won't make a peep about it if they ask me to do a wifi tournament. I just believe in honesty and being frank.

Last edited: