Need help inputting a character texture (with moveset)

John Donne

I posted this question on the old site yesterday, but thought I might get a quicker answer here. I am fairly new to brawl modding, but I have brawl minus max (v 1.01) running with Gecko. I have searched the web already but have only found stuff from around 2009 about inputting character textures and movesets (which clearly doesn't say anything about brawl-). Could someone please give me a step-by-step of how to input a Mega Mewtwo Y code as seen on: http://youtu.be/vPTEhnbPbTI (he puts a link to the code in the description)? I would like to put it over Lucario's purple color. I realize that this is newbish and probably annoying, but I would really appreciate any help y'all can give.

if you're importing a character (with a new moveset and all) 1. you are probably seriously disrupting the balance of the game and 2. you will have to replace lucario entirely. which would be a shame. because he's awesome. in minusery>pf>fighter>lucario you will have to...........
ok
basically, you can replace a single texture with another texture, in most cases simply by adding the texture file and renaming it appropriately. such as FitLucario00.pcs to go over his default costume (01 for red, 02 for green, etc...) but a moveset will have to replace the character entirely via the FitLucario.pac and sometimes a FitMotionEtc file will need to be added or replaced, or the original removed. You will need to fill all of his pcs files with mewtwo textures (even if it's the same texture for all five pcs files.. 00,01,02,04,05.. you can't have any trace of lucario hanging around). Lucario will then be totally gone. Poor awesome minus Lucario will. be. gone. Selecting him *should* open up this mewtwo hack instead.

or use a code to increase the number of character slots on the character select screen. i believe the BrawlEx Clone Engine is what you're looking for. i have no idea how to use it, but i believe it's the only known way to add slots. you'll have to look it up, as you will need instruction from someone else for that. i think i heard it's a tricky operation.

!i'd suggest just enjoying brawl minus as is.! it's a lot of fun already. texture hacks shouldn't cause any problems though, go ahead and make it look cool. (hell, you could just make lucario look like mewtwo)

as far as adding wacky PSA's, totally different characters, etc... try replacing characters in a hack like Balanced Brawl. should go smoother as the physics are largely unchanged. (no tripping though, so that's good)

Smilindeth

File naming and placing guide (Assuming someone hasn't messed it up)
http://brawlhacks.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fi ... ming_Guide

Go all out changing the game as you see fit to have fun, but if you go for online matches, you should aim for both sides having the exact same files.

Steps for just a skin replacement:
Step 1: Sort through your files that you want to put in and replace existing files with. Potential files you can have in what you downloaded:
FitLucario.pac (This changes attacks and movements, not needed for skin changes unless the skin is designed for different moves, such as the Goku sets out there)
FitLucario0_.pac (Skin file, needed for changing skins)
FitLucario0_.pcs (Same as above, but packed, best to have both to prevent crashing)
FitLucarioMotionEtc.pac (Handles movement and animations)

Sometimes what you download will be something like Halo.pac or something with a name that doesn't tell what the file is for, you should be able to go off assumptions from what the download says it should be. Skins follow the format of FitCharacter##.pac or .pcs
If you are missing one of the skin files, you can use Brawlbox to open the one you have and export it as a .pair (Which puts both out in the correct formant and fixes potential problems). Brawlbox can also be used to check what the file is intended to be.

Step 2: In your minus folder go to /minusery/pf/fighter/lucario (Or whichever character you are wanting to work with, use the naming guide for things like poro aka jigglypuff).

Step 3: Wherever you have your Mega Mewtwo files, you should have a .pac file and .pcs. Minus recolored his skins some, and I don't remember which went where exacty, but using the guide I'll assume that light blue was changed to the purple that you are speaking of, so you want slot 04. Rename your files to FitLucario04.pac and FitLucario04.pcs. Place them in the lucario folder mentioned in step 2, replace existing files (or move existing ones out as a backup).

Assuming you named the placed the files correctly, your skin replacement should be working. The pack you mentioned has all of the correct files for skins, you just need to pick which color in it you want, and name it correctly when placing it in the folder.
The main difference in putting skins in Minus from any other pack is that the RSBE01.gct already has all the codes ready for file replacement, and Minus changed the folder path /private/wii/app/RSBP/ to /minusery/ to save time and effort.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

John Donne

Thanks so much for the help!! The only thing I have a question about is that in the download, all the Mewtwo files are labeled FitMewtwo0_[WifiSafe].pac (there is also a .psc for each 0_ ). Basically, what I understand is that I will rename each of the FitMewtwo0_[wifisafe].pac/pcs 's to the corresponding FitLucario0_.pac/psc 's right? Once done with that, I will move all of the Lucario files out of the Lucario folder (under /fighter) and replace them with the new files. (I decided to go ahead and use all the included mewtwo colors by the way.)

Smilindeth

The renamed FitLucario.pac/.pcs files with be placed into the /fighter/lucario/ folder, replacing anything that might already exist in there for that slot. Some characters have Minus replaced skins, and some don't, so certain folders there will not be files to replace until you start filling it up.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Without the underscore, yes. Rename the files to match the ones that are already on the SD and you should be good to go "FitLucario00.pac" "FIrLucario00.pcs" and "FitLucario.pac"

The 00 denotes which color the costume is on. 00 is the default color, the first color you get when you select the character. and the file without any numbers is the moveset

John Donne

Thank, guys! I got it working beautifully! Now I just need some other super op characters that actually have a chance of winning.... ;) I really appreciate y'all's help!!