Ledge/momentum canceled Barrels

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Hey.

RAR barrel pull onto the ledge or pull a barrel as soon as you land on a slanted platform

The barrel will be on his back but he wont be "carrying" it. Allows to to have a barrel with accessing your normal moves. you can still throw them with Z.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
It can be done on flat ground too, the timing just needs to be exact.

Spookyman

It's not really something that needs to be removed, since it adds more to the character. If anything, it should be made easier to do so that DK becomes more interesting.

NEWB

Tech skill for the sake of tech skill isn't interesting. DK also doesn't need it.

Of course, the same can be said about robs sideb bair dash, which appears to be staying.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Newb its not just there for the sake of being there. You discover these things about the game and the meta develops around them.

It indeed does add to DK. How can you not see that? The ability to use alll your moves with a barrel waiting does so much for DKs combo game. Having this removed would be a very poor choice.

NEWB

He already has massive combo game. Have you played gold's DK?

By that logic, L canceling was a good thing and we know that even if people liked it, it IS bad game design. The project M devs said so themselves apparently.

Spookyman

Tech skill for the sake of tech skill isn't interesting. DK also doesn't need it.

Of course, the same can be said about robs sideb bair dash, which appears to be staying.

Yeah, tech skill for the sake of tech skill is bad, but this isn't just for tech skill, it opens up more options for the character. Same could be said about shortening Spacy side-b, jumping out of shine, Yoshi DJC, etc. in Melee.
It's not like there's no reason not to do this. You can only do it in really specific situations, so it's not useful all the time, and getting hit breaks the barrel dealing damage to yourself. I think it should stay.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Lag canceling is a broken mechanism that makes it impossible for anyone who doesnt use it to win.

"Spooky Barrels" (he discovered it.) Are in no way that type of tech. Its something you CAN do. Not something you NEED to do.

Spookyman

Keep in mind the PM developers also gave lucas and squrtle a buncha tech fot no reason.
PM is a dumber game than Minus somehow >_>. They gave Mewtwo and G&W and probably a ton of other characters the ability to act out of up-b to force them to have a combo game. They also gave Bowser a jump-cancellable down-b, aerial glide-tossing, WOOPWOOPing (which is most definitely unintentional), among other things. Both games have kind of forced tech, but Minus is so unexplored it feels more organic.

Gold_TSG

It doesn't need to be removed, but I haven't found practical use for it yet. DK is already a monster and a half with many, many options.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
I find the best use for it is giving DK a great hat.
We need a new Minus gimmick where characters who don't get hats in their costumes get one alternate bonus hat costume.

Gold_TSG

I use barrels differently for starters and enders. I'll have to mess around with it and see what I can come up with.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
On paper:
knocked them too far, or at an unreachable angle?
Tech chase?
Interupt their approach?
Style?

NEWB

Oh, well if DK can get hit after getting while holding a spooky barrel, then it's fine. Super weird but fine.

And yeah, I wish more could see minus that way spooky, but melee players can't let go of wave dashing and l canceling >_>

Gold_TSG

I'll have to see, cause DK does benefit from carrying barrels (armor).

Gold_TSG

Spooky barrels grant armor? That's bad...

No. Barrel carry. From vbrawl. Newb pls.

After messing with it a lot, I don't find it practical at all. I keep trying to make it work from the ledge, but DK will always stop at the edge and pick up the barrel normally, before falling off the ledge. To do it onstage requires you be frame-perfect doing a barrel pull the moment you land. In the time it would take you to get it right (especially online), you could be doing something more productive, like slinging barrels offstage to limit their recovery options from below, or Barrel Gliding (throw for momentum boost) to chase.

NEWB

I know that picking up a barrel gives him armor cuz cargo carry, I just.... didn't understand why armor was mentioned with spooky barrels or I missed something.

Gold_TSG

It's just my two cents. I find it less useful in how I play.