Kien's Professional Link Combos (Self proclaimed)

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Sup guys, it's Kien da Champ. I'm makin dis thred to show off and keep trak of my mad Link skillz.

In this thread you will find complex combos and other knowledge about Link that you may or may not have heard of. I name my combos as well so don't mind those. To keep things orderly I'll organize the combos by complexity.

Minus Complex
1. Divine Finisher = The Divine Finisher consists of exploiting a bug in Link's coding for Ending Blow. In order to do this you Start a finishing blow using any of the inputs, and immediately after you pull out a bomb. This sends Link upward a little above his jump height and gives him forward momentum. Once airborne you can move to either side as normal and even perform a midair jump. However, hitting side B will cause Link to quickly fall to the earth to finish the ending blow he started. This can be extended further by fast falling into a footstool, throwing the bomb downward, and then going into the thrust.
Damage Output- between 20% & 43%. (extended will deal between 33% & 38%)
Button Input
Smash stick in direction, press A and rapid tap down + B, then press side + B
Or
Smash stick in direction, press A and rapid tap down + B, Smash tap stick down, tap up on D-pad, smash stick down + A, then press side + B or Down+A.

A Little Complex
1. Bomb Bash = Bomb bashing won't come in handy all the time. However, if you are ever accidentally caught in close quarters pulling out a bomb, Link can perform his shield bash almost immediately afterwards.
Damage Output- 16%. Allows aerial follow-ups of any kind depending on percent.
Button Input
While pulling out a bomb on the ground, keep B held down and tap a trigger + forward to shield bash. If this connects it can be followed up by a jumping bomb throw which can then lead into many other attacks depending on the opponent's percent.

2. Risk and Reward = This isn't so complex but it does require great precision and perfect timing to execute safely, otherwise you only hurt yourself. Throwing a bomb upward just before you grab someone won't do much on its own. However, if Link pummels his opponent twice and throws them up as quickly as he can, the bomb will hit them just as he flings them away.
Damage Output- 37%. Allows for aerial follow-ups ranging from a nair to an aerial Spin Attack.
Button Input
While holding a bomb, tilt toss it upward
(don't smash throw) Press Grab, A, A, tap stick up.

3. Reversing Deku Destroyer = Another very situational technique involving Link's Ending Blow cancel. If during your Bomb Pull Link spawns a Deku Nut, you can perform a midair jump to drop the nut to the ground. Landing beside your opponent will allow for a Mortal Draw follow up if you are quick enough.
Damage Output- 60%. This will always kill if it lands on a stage with no walls.
Button Input
Smash stick in direction, press A and rapid tap down + B, then press jump and Z to drop the Deku Nut. After landing, press Up on the d-pad, hold A, and release when Link enters his stance.

Not Really Complex
1. Item Zair = This is relatively simple. Link can still use his zair with an item so long as he air dodges immediately before trying to use Zair.
Button Input
While airborne, hold a trigger to dodge, and during the dodge press either Z or A.

2. Hylian Storm: Two up tilts followed by two leaping Nairs, a short hop clawshot double hit, and advancing up smash.
Button Input
Tilt up and press A, A, jump A, A, tap jump, press Z while holding forward, upon landing smash tap the stick forward to run and Smash up on the stick +A.

Damage Output- 86%. Only useable on low percent opponents.

Simple Enough to need no Button Input
1. Hylian Double Double: Gale = One of Link's more simple combos. Two up tilts followed by two leaping Nairs. Upon landing throw the Gale boomerang to follow up on your opponent.
Damage Output- 56%. Only useable on low percent opponents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightning

Ikesexual
Much combos.
Such professional.
So skilled.
Very self-proclaimed.
Wow.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Thanks Kien. This will make my Hyrulian fights better.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
Oh mah gosh. Now I can become teh second best Link around.

Actually, that's a lie. I'd only become mediocre at best.

Kien too pro. 10/10 would be scared to fight again.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Everyone should make one of these if they're the champ of a character.

That was my plan haha. It'd be cool and funny at the same time. I plan on making one for all of my characters who I win titles for. Even if I lose the title.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
Everyone should make one of these if they're the champ of a character.

Certain people have the same character mains with somewhat different playstyles. How do you determine who is the champion of those select few characters?
EDIT: Oh, do you mean Mirror Match champions? I feel stupid now...

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Very nice, Kien! Here's a few comments from me:

1.) Did you know about Divine Finisher before I used it in our Title Matches? Ha ha... Anyhow, it's worth noting that Link can activate forward or backward versions of the downward stab at the end, with either B-Forward or B-Backward. You can activate the stab anytime before you land. If you land without using it, see number 2 below.

Don't use this stab offstage, or Link will likely plummet to his doom. Besides, the stab only has hitboxes when it comes out and when it meets the ground; if you try to use it like a flying D-Air offstage, you'll probably just fall harmlessly (blade-first -_-) through your opponent. I wish that would be fixed...

2.) The Finishing Blow's ending stab can be stored for a short time in a few ways: Cancel Finishing Blow into...
- Leaping Bow (A + B-Neutral),
- Leaping Bomb (A + B-Down),
- Leaping Jump (A + B-Neutral + Jump), or
- Leaping Air Dodge (A + B-Neutral + Air Dodge).
I find that these are easiest to do out of the Dash Attack-Cancelled Finishing Blow, but you may be able to do them out of the F-Smash-Cancelled and F-Tilt-Cancelled versions as well. Try them out and see.

Anyhow, if you store the stab via one of those methods, and do not use the "Divine Finisher" before you land, you will have an "Instant Stab" (the last part of Finishing Blow) instead of your standard Finishing Blow for the next 5 seconds or so (not sure about that time estimate, but it reverts back to normal quickly). This stored stab is more hindrance than help, though, since it often triggers when you'd rather perform some other variant of Finishing Blow.

Also, try hitting backwards or backwards>forwards when cancelling into Finishing Blow and its variants. You can change your leap arc and direction, but it's tricky.

3.) Link can bash (Shield + B-Forward) with nearly any handheld item, not just his shield and bombs. IIRC, he can even bash with just his arm alone (but I don't remember how ATM). Bigger opponents are quite vulnerable to bashing. You can bash 2-3 times in a row, then follow up with another attack -- my favorite follow-ups are Air Dodge-Dropped Deku Nut > Mortal Draw and Air Dodge-Dropped Bomb > D-Air (or just D-Air if you have no bomb pulled).

4.) Reverse Mortal Boomerang! You can't catch opponents who are being dragged back to you (via Gale Boomerang) with forward-facing Mortal Draw anymore, since it was reverted to its longer startup animation... but if you time it just right, you can catch them with it if you face backwards. It's awesome when it works, but it's very predictable.

I hope that helps. Link is a great character in Minus, that's for sure. :)

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
^All stuff that I know about, but I didn't create those combos or techniques. I figure that changing the direction of your Ending Blow isn't really a secret. However, if you can put that into combos then yes, it becomes much more. I'll be keeping this updated either way as more cool things are done.

NEWB

Why isn't his Dacus pointed out? It gives him an AMAZING chasing tool! I'm so annoyed that I can't do it, but every link main should learn to do this.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Because I can DACUS but dacusing on it's own is a so called advanced technique which people other than Link benefit from.

NEWB

That's fair, but Dacus is essential and invaluable to anyone who can Dacus. It's worth knowing who can Dacus. Snake is another example of someone who greatly benefits for it. So does Marth with his ridiculously disjointed upsmash.

Just pointing out that I bring this up because I haven't seem anyone do it with any of these guys. Anyone got tips for using Dacus on a classic controller pro?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Does your Wii not have Gamecube Controller ports?

There's a Mayflash adapter that lets you connect A GC controller to a Wii Remote.

NEWB

My brother uses the GameCube remote since it's his.

Also, I'm actually more accustomed to the classic instead of the GameCube now. The classic pro actually feels a lot like the GameCube of you rearrange the button configuration.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
That's fair, but Dacus is essential and invaluable to anyone who can Dacus. It's worth knowing who can Dacus. Snake is another example of someone who greatly benefits for it. So does Marth with his ridiculously disjointed upsmash.

Just pointing out that I bring this up because I haven't seem anyone do it with any of these guys. Anyone got tips for using Dacus on a classic controller pro?

Believing that DACUS is essential to people who can do it will make you a lesser player in the long run. If you can learn to win without using "advanced techniques" I guarantee you'll play more effectively when you can't rely on those. Assuming you've fought Gold before, he doesn't even know how to DACUS and look how good he is.

NEWB

That doesn't make any sense though. Yes, removing training wheels allows you to actually learn how to ride a bike, but DACUS like link and snake cannot be replicated or performed without actually doing a DACUS. I have a friend who has little time for minus anymore that is as good as gold or glyph and he uses DACUS with link, Marth, falco, sheik, and snake like a champ. He doesn't use DACUS all the time, especially since it's possible for characters to grab say snake for instance while he is sliding forward after he launches the upsmash. He uses it as needed like any other tool a character has.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
That doesn't make any sense though. Yes, removing training wheels allows you to actually learn how to ride a bike, but DACUS like link and snake cannot be replicated or performed without actually doing a DACUS. I have a friend who has little time for minus anymore that is as good as gold or glyph and he uses DACUS with link, Marth, falco, sheik, and snake like a champ. He doesn't use DACUS all the time, especially since it's possible for characters to grab say snake for instance while he is sliding forward after he launches the upsmash. He uses it as needed like any other tool a character has.

Now imagine what would happen if someone who is on the level of Gold and I started using DACUS and other techniques regularly. It's really unnecessary. Kind of like L cancels. Just small things to give players who know about it a slight advantage over those who don't know, or choose not to use it.

owo

Now imagine what would happen if someone who is on the level of Gold and I started using DACUS and other techniques regularly. It's really unnecessary. Kind of like L cancels. Just small things to give players who know about it a slight advantage over those who don't know, or choose not to use it.

hahaha... I can't believe you're actually trying to discourage people from using advanced techniques when, like you said yourself, they give people "a slight advantage over those who don't know." Mastering techniques specific to your character is ALWAYS advantageous, and if I were to imagine both you & gold to be consistent with executing a DACUS it would seem more deadly since you have another tool in your arsenal to work with.

p.s. L cancel in melee and P:M is really an essential
p.p.s your whole thread is dedicated to advanced character skillsets but you seem to be discrediting a simple AT :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

I'd be surprised if anyone else thought that. First of all, Dacus is intended and exists while L canceling is dead. Secondly, I seriously doubt getting link to slide half the distance of FD at high speed while doing Up smash, which hits anyone that isn't shielding or dodging, would be considered minor. Link is one of the best zoners on the game AND he has a chasing tool.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
hahaha... I can't believe you're actually trying to discourage people from using advanced techniques when, like you said yourself, they give people "a slight advantage over those who don't know." Mastering techniques specific to your character is ALWAYS advantageous, and if I were to imagine both you & gold to be consistent with executing a DACUS it would seem more deadly since you have another tool in your arsenal to work with.

p.s. L cancel in melee and P:M is really an essential
p.p.s your whole thread is dedicated to advanced character skillsets but you seems to be discrediting a simple AT :oops:
About your PPS. This advanced skillsets is never what I mentioned. I mentioned things so far that won't work outside of Minus to the same effect. Basically, things that you may not have know the character was able to do. Or to help people see how moves could be linked together.

I'd be surprised if anyone else thought that. First of all, Dacus is intended and exists while L canceling is dead. Secondly, I seriously doubt getting link to slide half the distance of FD at high speed while doing Up smash, which hits anyone that isn't shielding or dodging, would be considered minor. Link is one of the best zoners on the game AND he has a chasing tool.
And when you learn to rely on something that potentially won't be in the next Smash it might be so far etched into your playstyle that you start to suck with your character all over again. Link doesn't need a chasing tool to approach, that's all I'm saying.

NEWB

Don't learn how to something that will be taken out?

Dude, we are playing a mod. Over half of what we do won't exist. *_* You basically just said why play any other iteration of smash competitively, which isn't the point.

If you want to play a good anyone in any fighting game, you have to know every tool and master every asset that character has that, yes, is significant.

It does sound like these aren't the right things you wanted to talk about, as you were sharing your wicked combos that are not known. I won't talk about this anymore.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I think Kien was just saying that it's more important to master the core gameplay and strategy than it is to master advanced techniques.

If you learn the ATs without mastering the basics first, you've got some neat tricks up your sleeve, but you won't be skilled enough with your character overall to make openings in which to use those ATs effectively.

Case in point, I practiced Link's ATs a lot before I fought Kien in the Link Title Matches, but my core Link skills weren't up to par... so I got schooled.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Don't learn how to something that will be taken out?

Dude, we are playing a mod. Over half of what we do won't exist. *_* You basically just said why play any other iteration of smash competitively, which isn't the point.

If you want to play a good anyone in any fighting game, you have to know every tool and master every asset that character has that, yes, is significant.

It does sound like these aren't the right things you wanted to talk about, as you were sharing your wicked combos that are not known. I won't talk about this anymore.

Not trying to get the last word on the not subject, but

That is not what I said. I'm saying that DACUS is not essential to Link's playstyle as he isn't the only one capable of doing it, nor is his the most useful.

Aaaaanyway. More combos and stuff in a few days.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Who said I don't know how to DACUS? I know how to, I just can't do it consistently with some chars, and I just prefer not doing it, since my play style doesn't require it.