ideas for a paper mario moveset..?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
There was a vote earlier about which characters we wanted to see in minus, and the top two winners, (10 votes each) were Paper Mario and Midna with Wolf-Link.. Personally, I voted for paper mario, and I still prefer to see him in brawl than midna+wolf. i guess if midna ends up getting chosen, we can make another thread for that... ...however, i would prefer to talk about a paper mario moveset. If we were to put paper mario in brawl, i suppose a clone of dedede would give him a good base for his articles, in terms of if a partner system was incorporated... if not dedede, than probably olimar, but either way, we would in no way be using their moves, as they are not necessarily compatible with a moveset that would feel like paper mario... i guess olimar is the right size to be changed into paper mario, and dedede uses the hammer and the right size partners, but if the minions size and boneset could be ported over olimar's pikmin, all they would need is a re-vertex.. so either dedede would need a new bonerig and size, or olimar would need imports, but either way, they both have something similar...

as far as the moveset idea goes:
justadood said:
i think if we're able to make this over olimar, what we could do is remove the articles for his pikmin and replace them with a couple of reskins of the waddledee:, they could be reskinned and maybe bone edited to look like the paper mario partners. since there are three possible, maybe we could make it work so there's a 100% chance to draw one specific partner out if you're alone (maybe goombella/goombario), then make it so there's a 100% chance to get koops/kooper when you use the button that's supposed to switch, if you have goombella/goombario out, then likewise to get bobbery/bombette if you have koops/kooper out... something like that?... if we found a way to make the partners work independently of one another, that's one way....

another way could be to use the models fr pikmin... what we'd do is make koops use purple pikmin as a base (since he has a different boneset), then make bobbery use yellow pikmin as a base, since he has a different boneset (because of the ears), then we'd use any pikmin for the last partner, goombella, and with the different bonesets they have, they must have different movesets as well, so we just make it so they have a different trajectory when thrown by using all of the animation places they normally have for all of olimar's a attacks that use them. like for koops/kooper, make it so he has his jump animations, his "paper fold" animations to replace the pikmin "plucking" and "regrouping" animations, replace pikmin's being thrown animation with koops's/kooper's shell toss animation, in which his original place is constantly remembered, no matter where he is launched from. then replace pikmin's "beat up animation" with his "shell spinning in place" animation and make his transition into that animation require papermario holding B, instead of grabbing a foe with it, and etc. for his moves, and fr pretty much everyone :p ...idk if it's impossible, but i don't think it sounds too implausible yet...

basically, make the "if compare then" move for waddledees/pikmin work so if you have a goomba following you, your next partner pulled would be a koopa and replace the goomba, and if you have a koopa, a bob-bomb would come out next and replace the koopa, and with a bob-bomb, a goomba would appear-... you get the idea... it would work as a cycle, like pokemon trainer's pokemon if you need an example, but obviousy, as this changes a character and not an article, it's not the best example :p

side b is basically a "throw", dependent on which partner you're using, and other than that, maybe only a final smash would be different depending on which partner is out... the partner switch could be a taunt, and then maybe one taunt makes you go solo mode and use more "badge moves", like the flame drive or hammer throw or something :p ...if the taunt is what switches them, then the down b slot in each partner's mode would be freed up... goomba's tattle could be a down b counter, koopa's shell shield could be a down b shield/reflect, and bob-bomb's down b should be-... ... well actually the only thing i can think of is bobbery's bob-bombast, which was a large explosion that could work like wario's waft or a charge move... :p ...i'm not 100% on these ideas obviously, and i'm not going to be the one making the moveset, i don't even work in brawlbox for my own hacks, so these are all strictly opinions, so feel free to post ideas of your own... ...
... ...keep in mind, i haven't made any clear decisions for moves if paper mario was solo... even items like the fireflower are viable ideas, so post away!

NEWB

I feel like coding partners would be amazingly difficult. Perhaps his taunts could represent some? I am also unsure if the devs wanted partners to be a thing to consider. To me, they shouldn't be a focus since Mario has never fought in tandem with them as much as they just fought next to each other.

I'm sorta on the fence here. I think paper Mario has enough standalone moves personally.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
Sounds fair. I still strongly think the partners are kind of an integral part of paper Mario's character :p but you are right that he definitely has enough moves on his own to be perfectly fine, and fun, without them :) ...any particular moveset ideas in mind?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
Keep in mind, my original idea was to only have the side b do partner based attacks... the down b is just an extreme example of partners being incorporated into a lot more moves, just like how the other extreme seems to be no reference to the partners... at least a taunt, like you said, could be enough, but there could be a middle ground too in between

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Moved to off-topic because Paper Mario is currently not a character in Minus, but discuss away!