How to Fix Momentum-sapping Pause in Dash-Cancelled-Backwards-Crawl (D.C.B.C.) going right?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Title edit: The problem I'm describing has to do with the pause in the Dash-Cancelled-Backwards-Crawl (D.C.B.C) going right, NOT the crawldash. The crawldash leads into the D.C.B.C.. This is clarified on page 2. Please keep this misunderstanding in mind when reading through this topic up to the point where the D.C.B.C. gets its name.

---

If you don't know what crawldashing is, try this: Play as Luigi. Run from left to right. Cancel the dash into a crouch, and crawl backwards.

This only works when dashing from left to right. Any chance it can be made to work from right to left too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I can do it both ways, actually... There's no difference in physics based on the direction you perform it.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Technically, you can sorta crawldash when dashing from right to left, but it's not nearly as effective as when you do it while dashing from left to right. Check out the vanilla MAX 3.3 replay attached to this post to see what I mean (I don't have any means to upload video ATM).

I'll rephrase my question:
"Crawldashing only works well when dashing from left to right. Any chance it can be made to work well from right to left too?"

Attachments

• rp_140510_0924.7z
    48.3 KB · Views: 275

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
"Crawldashing only works well when dashing from left to right"
That's odd... I was having trouble with the exact opposite with Shiek. Dash right, slide backwards was good, but I couldn't dash left, slide right very far at all.

Thor

Conclusion: Gold_TSG is a god.

Serioiusly though, maybe Tybis and Bent should share with each other which characters you have problems with going which directions, and try it the way the other said was hard? I've seen people who can only do ATs one direction...seems unlikely but this may be the issue.

Gold_TSG

Maybe it has to do with what point in each character's run animation you attempt to do it? That seems to affect certain characters with different things.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
That's odd... I was having trouble with the exact opposite with Shiek. Dash right, slide backwards was good, but I couldn't dash left, slide right very far at all.
That's the same problem I'm having. Guess I didn't explain it clearly enough.

Guys, watch that replay I posted. In it, I demonstrated that crawldashing works much better going one direction than it does the other.

To try and illustrate this in words... Imagine this:

- Luigi is dashing to the right.
- He cancels the dash into a crouch, and tilts the control stick down-left.
- Luigi slides backwards a good distance, about the width of the diamond in the middle of FD.

VS

- Luigi is dashing to the left.
- He cancels the dash into a crouch, and tilts the control stick down-right.
- Luigi slides backwards a short distance, about the width of Luigi himself.

Gold_TSG

I went back lately and tried working on it again. The reason it seems to be harder from left to right I think is more in relation to simply the stick placement. It's easier to shift right to left after a dash than left to right.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
It has nothing to do with player input. Even if you execute the input perfectly, crawldashing backwards to the right will never go as far or as fast as crawldashing backwards to the left does.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
I sub luigi, i can tell you from experience that there is absolutely no difference in the crawldashes based on direction, the only thing that differs is the execution. It's largely based on what direction your more comfortable doing it in. But i use it in both directions, with equal distance from both of them

Thor

Thor said:
Conclusion: Gold_TSG is a god.

Gold_TSG said:
The reason it seems to be harder from left to right I think it more in relation to simply the stick placement. It's easier to shift right to left after a dash than left to right.

Thor said:
people who can only do ATs one direction...this may be the issue

I sub luigi, i can tell you from experience that there is absolutely no difference in the crawldashes based on direction, the only thing that differs is the execution. It's largely based on what direction your more comfortable doing it in. But i use it in both directions, with equal distance from both of them

New conclusion: I'm a god.

Gold_TSG

It's a simple matter of how a person uses the stick. I CAN do it both ways, but not consistently, due to my better comfort of right to left. My thumb just does it better like that.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
wouldn't playing in slower speeds in training mode be an easy way to prove/disprove this?

Gold_TSG

Not really. It's how your thumb reacts in realistic situations, not at slower sleeps. There is literally nothing in the game coded to where it works better one way over the other. It's all human input.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I just tested again, and I still cannot do the long crawldash backwards to the right. I tried 2 different, excellent-condition GC controllers, and I even tried it at 1/4 speed in Training.

Anyone who claims they can do the long crawldash backwards to the right, please post a video. I don't believe it can be done.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I think they may be mistaking the short crawldash for the long one...

I just want to see the full crawldash backwards to the right with my own eyes. It seems impossible to do from what I've tested.

Perhaps some kind of code could make it easier to perform?

Gold_TSG

There's NOTHING different about either way you do it. It's all on human input.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Can someone post a video of the long crawldash backwards to the right?

I'm inputting the same input (except reversed) I use to do the long crawldash backwards to the left, but I can't get it to work even once.

Other Aether

Mediator
Can someone post a video of the long crawldash backwards to the right?

I'm inputting the same input (except reversed) I use to do the long crawldash backwards to the left, but I can't get it to work even once.
Some inputs don't work in Training mode, and most don't when you slow it down.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I've tested it in standard Versus too, same results. It's really obvious with Luigi.

Did anyone watch that replay file I posted a while back?

Gold_TSG

Bent. You don't understand. There's no separate coding between the directions you do it in. It's one code. You alter it, you change both directions.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I tested this for nearly an hour tonight, and I'm telling you crawldashing doesn't work to the same degree in both directions.

Momentum just doesn't carry over even half as well when going backwards right, compared to crawldashing backwards left.

Somebody prove me wrong with a video or replay file. Come on.