How to disable Sonic Boost destroying stage elements instantly?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
So, in addition to Sonic's Spring lasting for so long, and his D-Air being a OHKO at ledge-level and below, there's still one other thing about the hedgehog that really annoys me. His Sonic Boost instantly obliterates destructible stage elements, like the whole middle section of Green Hill Zone, and the walls of Shadow Moses and Luigi's Mansion. Sonic's Boost essentially turns the latter two stages into frozen Eldin Bridge and Final Destination (respectively) quickly.

The affected stages are not designed to have their destructible elements removed from play instantly, but that is exactly what can happen when someone plays Sonic on them. If Sonic Boost even grazes any such element, it crumbles immediately.

It's been stated that this is a "feature"...
That is actually a feature, not a buff. If we take it out of normal stages, we take it out of SSE at the same time, so...yeah.

If there were a way to have our cake and eat it, we totally would, though.
Is that second sentence still true? I recall Sammi saying that he was doing a "TON of groundbreaking research on SSE."

If there is still no way to remove this feature from regular play, keeping it in SSE only, I assume that it will remain as-is... Personally, I don't even like it in SSE because it's just cheating, plain and simple. It removes all challenge for Sonic -- not much fun after the novelty wears off.

That said, if the "Destructo-Boost" is staying in, would someone kindly tell me how to disable it myself, by editing some code, or Sonic's .pac file? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:
If you would like a copy of Brawl Minus 4.1 Sonic that can no longer instantly destroy destructible stage elements in regular Smash modes, but can still make extremely short work of enemies, bosses, and environmental obstacles (like blocks) in Subspace Emissary, download the file below and replace the existing "FitSonic.pac" file in Minusery / fighter / sonic.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/44rn42rgadb6api/(4.1+Stage-Friendly+Boost+v1.0)+FitSonic.pac

Save the original file if you want to play online with others who use vanilla 4.1 -- you must use all the same files the other players do when you play online, or you may desync.

Last edited:

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
Boost destroys stage terrain instantly because it has a hitbox that is flagged to hit a specific range of stuff (stage terrain, SSE enemies, etc). The groundbreaking research on SSE has nothing to do with the boost hitbox, the special offensive collision extra flags are well documented, and if you want more information this is the best single resource for brawl hacking.

Ntut

Lemmy's Husbando
Also I'm guessing this feature was created to reenact how the Sonic Boost works in a few of the games it was implemented (Sonic Rush is one prime example)

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Also I'm guessing this feature was created to reenact how the Sonic Boost works in a few of the games it was implemented (Sonic Rush is one prime example)

Boost working in SSE was a conscious design choice, as it allows Sonic to be the "Infinity +1 Sword", and makes replaying stages for 100% much easier.

That being said using Boost to cheese Tabuu in the final fight is still something that is discouraged.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Can someone make a gif/image/video about this problem/situation?
Here's some footage demonstrating Sonic "Destructo-Boost", and Homing Attack Stalling as well.

I added a solution to the first post of this topic, for anyone who would like a copy of 4.1 Sonic who can no longer instantly destroy destructible stage elements with Sonic Boost in regular Smash modes, but can still easily wipe out S.S.E. enemies, bosses, and environmental obstacles (like blocks) with it.

UPDATE: I originally thought that the patch I linked in the first post, "4.1 Stage-Friendly Boost v.1.0", would stop Sonic Boost from working on destructible environmental obstacles (like blocks) in Subspace Emissary, since it stopped affecting all destructible stage elements in regular Smash modes -- but I just tested it, and Sonic Boost still instantly destroys destructible environmental obstacles in S.S.E.!

"4.1 Stage-Friendly Boost v1.0" only stops Sonic Boost from instantly clearing destructible stage elements in regular Smash modes.

Last edited: