Hitbox General Discussion

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Since Captain Falcon's Up Smash had its range Nerfed in 3.5, I thought you all might want a place to discuss other hitboxes which you think are too large or too small.

With this first post, I'm not calling for any Nerfs! I'm just trying to raise awareness of some hitboxes which are bigger than you would expect. I'm not saying these are bad as-is -- let's decide on that as a group.

Generally, I think that a hitbox should be no less effective than it was in vBrawl, but there will be some exceptions.

Most (if not all) of the snapshots below were taken at the moment an attack made first contact with its target.

Donkey Kong:
gu8sTUr.jpg

2Y58rVr.jpg

King Dedede:
VdecRzX.jpg

TJ2spDJ.jpg

L5SJcEK.jpg

4R0lEmN.jpg

w9uN7iU.jpg

Lucario:
trF0JXl.jpg

DLN4Zdy.jpg

8G6w7CF.jpg

Marth:
WDQ4p96.jpg

LJ87XMh.jpg

Peach:
07jfrWc.jpg

1magSQ9.jpg

NqPGWNR.jpg

LvdiRFg.jpg

T4n6RKP.jpg

SF6G2HK.jpg

Pichu:
Y7hLGm5.jpg

Av1D2rq.jpg

IYwoDQn.jpg

BpA2B1O.jpg

Pikachu:
IrOYzxb.jpg

FnSYE4Q.jpg

SgidTmz.jpg

Roy:
IQEzMbD.jpg

Toon Link:
eZK254J.jpg

jM6yzqR.jpg

esECcrl.jpg

8J3rbNf.jpg

That's all I've got for now. Remember, I'm not calling for any reductions to hitbox sizes yet -- I just want to start a discussion on the subject. Of the examples I posted above, Marth's Up Smash and Peach's Dash Attack seem to be the most nonsensical.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
A standard mechanic is fighting games is to have hitboxes a little further away from where the attack actually is so it has more range, and also considers the motion the character would likely be moving in at the time in calculating where the hitbox should be. These are called "Disjointed hitboxes" and are relatively commonplace in all fighters.

If all hitboxes were exact to where the character's motions were, a lot of attacks would be notably worse than they actually are. The best example of this would be if Marth's uSmash didn't have those hitboxes on the side of him.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I know, and I don't disagree, but I think some attacks' animations do not give the opponent a fair idea of the true range of the certain moves; they just have to get hit by them repeatedly to learn where those invisible hitboxes are.

Like I said before, I wasn't complaining about any of the examples I posted -- I just want to see what other players think about them.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I do admit that disjointed hitboxes get me killed. Usually due to cockiness believing that I'm standing the perfect distance away from the attack...then I get hit. I need to sit down and learn where some attacks actually hit. These pics may help. Thanks.

NEWB

I understand that too, but are we really unable to animate some moves to match these hitboxes? Take DKs downb for instance. Couldn't earth getting blown upwards be shown here? Zelda's sideb is also kinda guilty because the range gets HUGE and is easily more than the range of the explosion.

Ganon's utilt is most guilty of all. It could really use a shockwave or screen shake. So could dedede's side smash.

owo

comparison with frame data from vBrawl~
07jfrWc.jpg

PeachSSBBDash%28hit1%29.png

1magSQ9.jpg

PeachSSBBDash%28hit2%29.png
so yeah, just pointing out that the hitboxes on peach's dash attack seem unchanged from the vBrawl original; and as such I think the hitboxes are fine as is since they don't give Peach any distinct advantage over any other character (her potential is still unknown since many speculated tier lists put her near the bottom)

Marth up-smash on the other hand is really awkward but I don't mind it

NEWB

Not to mention that it is necesary. It is really good though, so it may be nerfed in the future.

Can it get some kind of stronger thrusting animation that would warrant the hitbox?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Peach's Dash Attack > F-Smash combo is hard to punish, and easy to land thanks to that huge hitbox.

Perhaps it should lose a little range in exchange for the Cancel...?

Seriously, the only way to punish that combo is to roll behind Peach with perfect timing and follow up with a fast attack or grab.

NEWB

Maybe it's the fsmash? Seeing as how each version hits differently, maybe each version should be adjusted slightly to do what it does better and be more centralized to a specific version?

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Marth's usmash, I believe, was intended to have those weird hitboxes as a means of pulling people into his sword, so it's not simply an attack to hit above him, but they almost never seem to work as intended, since the far hitboxes have a tendency of just flinging people over him.