Freezes after editing common5.pac

Empyrean

I'm probably doing something idiotic that some of you will shake your heads at when it gets figured out, but I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. First of all, I've isolated it down to the edits I've done to the common5.pac All the stages work fine with the "vanilla" B- 3.5 common5.pac.
I've gone and changed two SSS icons. I exported an untouched stage select icon, kept the transparency intact, and didn't touch the dimensions of it, simply replaced the middle contents of the black square with a new picture to represnt the stages I modded in. I can get to the stage select screen fine, but when I attempt to select a level or return to the character select screen, I get the buzz and have to reboot the wii. Can anyone give me the slap upside the head I so obviously need?

Oh, and for some reason Roy isn't on the CSS, but I see roy files in the folders and everything. And I haven't edited anything that would screw that up, I don't think. Pichu is there.

I have attached the common5.pac itself, in the event that that might help. I am also using the stage expansion system, but all stages from the expansion system were tested before editing the common5.pac to be functioning properly.

Attachments

• common5.pac
    11.6 MB · Views: 478

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Are you running the latest version of BrawlBox?

Empyrean

I'm using .73. I have the common5 at .3mb smaller than the "vanilla" brawl- one so it can't be too big. I don't get it. Can someone look at the icons and new .pac file and tell me why this isn't working?

Attachments

• Icons.rar
    8.6 MB · Views: 351

Empyrean

through HBC & Gecko. Also, I found out some of my icons were working just fine and some of them weren't. I still don't know why. Here are the rejects that I actually care about where the standard icon won't suffice.

Attachments

• Rejects.rar
    44.9 KB · Views: 335

Lightning

Ikesexual
This used to happen to me a lot. (To the point where I just removed the stage expansion from my custom build.)

What I would suggest doing is first removing all the icons and make sure the stages are ported correctly. Since it doesn't freeze until you select a stage, it could be that a stage that doesn't have the proper rel.
Then, once all the stages are confirmed to work, go in and replace 1 icon at a time. This is going to take a lot of time, but itll figure out which one is causing the freeze. You can put the names all at once, as they don't cause any freezing. Once all the icons work, you can put the stage previews (again, 1 by 1).

Hope this helps. :D

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I was custom building when this happened.
Editing things can sometimes do weird stuff. I was editing my SSS change page icons, when I had the same problem.
Test:
Using the same broken files, open the SSS and just sit there. Don't select a stage, don't go back to CSS. Just sit there. If it plays the song of failure(hard freeze), then you have the problem I did.
Fix:
System Restore your Brawl Minus files to the last working set. And insert the changes one by one. And follow the Test above after each insert. You'll find your culprit this way.

NEWB

Hey, hold the phone here! Gecko doesn't support sdhc cards! I had problems trying to do that. You have to go through the minima launcher or pm launcher. You also have to make sure the code is turned on. I mean, correct me if I'm mistaken, but sdhc and gecko didn't work for me.

Empyrean

This used to happen to me a lot. (To the point where I just removed the stage expansion from my custom build.)

What I would suggest doing is first removing all the icons and make sure the stages are ported correctly. Since it doesn't freeze until you select a stage, it could be that a stage that doesn't have the proper rel.
Then, once all the stages are confirmed to work, go in and replace 1 icon at a time. This is going to take a lot of time, but itll figure out which one is causing the freeze. You can put the names all at once, as they don't cause any freezing. Once all the icons work, you can put the stage previews (again, 1 by 1).

Hope this helps. :D

I have done that. All the stages work. It's specifically certain icons.

I was custom building when this happened.
Editing things can sometimes do weird stuff. I was editing my SSS change page icons, when I had the same problem.
Test:
Using the same broken files, open the SSS and just sit there. Don't select a stage, don't go back to CSS. Just sit there. If it plays the song of failure(hard freeze), then you have the problem I did.
Fix:
System Restore your Brawl Minus files to the last working set. And insert the changes one by one. And follow the Test above after each insert. You'll find your culprit this way.

As said above, I've found out it's specific ones. And it hard freezes.

Hey, hold the phone here! Gecko doesn't support sdhc cards! I had problems trying to do that. You have to go through the minima launcher or pm launcher. You also have to make sure the code is turned on. I mean, correct me if I'm mistaken, but sdhc and gecko didn't work for me.

A) I'm not using SDHC
B) I wouldn't have been able to get this far if I was.