Falco(Over-Powered) comparison to Marth(Under-Powered)

TechMage299

I love Falco, He's one of my favorite smashers, but I noticed that in comparison to someone like Marth(another one of my favs) he is way too overpowered, I kind of want marth to have a little more power like a longer sword like in Melee. Maybe for his F-Smash Tipper to instantly KO or something to match up to Falco, I mean... Four Jumps?!?!
Any opinions?

NEWB

So you are talking about this matchup only yes? Well, there will always be mismatches where one character has an inherent advantage over another. That being said, I don't see a matchup issue here since Marth has trouble with approaching while dealing with projectiles anyways.

Also, it is very easy to get marth's tipper. An insta kill tipper is way over the top.

As for falco, his midair jumps are his best means of recovery since he is so vulnerable before and after it fires when it misses the edge.

Other Aether

Mediator
I've been maining Marth for a little while now, and I can say he's actually really underrated. Good grabs and combo-ability, along with decent mobility due to shieldbreaker. The key to him is spacing. You have to be extremely good at perfect spacing or else most of his combos become useless and he loses a lot of KO potential. Trust me though, if you're good at timing, spacing and combos Marth can be amazing. If I had to choose one, I'd say that Falco is honestly worse than Marth in my opinion, although he's still a fine character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
A good Marth can play around what Falco can dish out. I've been getting Marth into my mains, and I use him quite efficiently.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
I like playing marth every once in a while :) he's definitely not given enough credit and an awesome character, but I guess if I had one complaint, it's that his neutral B can only cancel into neutral a in midair :p I'd kinda like to be able to use up air out of it, just for instance... but I think marth's great the way he is

Gold_TSG

justadood said:
I like playing marth every once in a while :) he's definitely not given enough credit and an awesome character, but I guess if I had one complaint, it's that his neutral B can only cancel into neutral a in midair :p I'd kinda like to be able to use up air out of it, just for instance... but I think marth's great the way he is

Um... Shield Breaker cancels into any aerial move. It's especially effective for surprise spikes with dair.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
Huh. Well then I have no complaints, andI'membarrassed TnT

Thor

Marth is far from underpowered, Falco is far from overpowered [in my opinion] - Marth generally has better zoning than Falco (Falco has back air sort of - his fair is meh and his nair and dair don't have much in the way of disjoints) while Marth has fair, nair, and side+B. Marth's mobility trick works best in the air while Falco's is significantly better on the ground. Falco is a bird so he can jump four times, but his jumps aren't that high and he falls way faster than Marth. Falco also has four jumps because his lateral recovery that doesn't leave him helpless [Falco Phantasm] drops him so far after using it before he can act you need all 3 jumps to get barely above the height you were at when you used Phantasm.

Not sure how helpful this is, but if you want some extra range, angle fsmash up and you'll slide forward (you can slide back if you angle it down - good if you want to tipper and they're too close, or if they're hiding in shield to increase the distance between you two) - this increases its effective range (if you uncharged fsmash angled up while walking you slide a long way). If you haven't been angling fsmash, you'll see (once you start doing so) why OHKO tipper would make Marth far and away the best character in the game (and hopelessly broken).

Marth also has a counter - this isn't a bad thing to keep in mind (still risky) and he no longer has RCO lag so getting off the ledge isn't so terrible. Falco is also (in some ways) Ken combo fodder - his fall speed is great for setting it up in my opinion.

The generally considered best character in the game is Lucario (or just was the best?), and ROB and Sheik are considered very strong as well.

You should play Gold_TSG's Marth - his movement with Marth is rather scary (I find I have to rely on reflector to outspace him and try to get combos going, while trying to limit him with blaster - unfortunately I'm not as good at it as I should be). Falco vs Marth may not be a terrible fun MU, but it's far from unwinnable, and Falco isn't broken in this MU (at least, I haven't seen/found how to shut down Marth as Falco).

Gold_TSG

I do enjoy Marth and continue to improve him

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
The only change I want falco is to change his nair. Preferably back to when it carried opponents in your direction. I feel that gave him alot more agressive options instead of just waiting for a opening. His air combo game was ridiculously fun to use and avoid.

Gold_TSG

His nair is fine as is. The last hit forces opponents into a fall state, which makes for comboing options in the air.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
I just missed how it canceled into anything. So instead of following up with an aireal, you would follow that sideb, utilt or dtilt with nair (to rack damage ) and canceled into anything. Fair or dairyou if youre tryingso to kill. If you baired then you can probably jump two more times and do it again.

Basically, its what made minus falco different from brawl falco. Right now, their playstyles are similar

NEWB

That's not a real issue, but I also main falco and liked his previous Nair better.

Can someone point out why this one is better? Or why last version was changed to this? I don't like changes like this without justification because then I don't know what was wrong.

Gold_TSG

I literally just said why it's fine.

Thor

I struggle to combo it into stuff when I use it... I just don't use Falco's nair much at all, and I uair and fair very sparingly.

Then again, maybe that's why I think reflector is so good... maybe I should try to get reflector -> nair -> stuff or something.

Gold_TSG

I use nair regularly, since it gives you that opening for continuing a combo.