Controls!

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
So what controls do you use? What do you use to jump? To smash? What weird quirks do you have? Your control setup you can program to your nickname? I use the control stick to jump (which is considered really weird) but use the X button for wavedashing. I use the claw to float with Peach. If you don't know what that is I use my thumb for c-stick and A-B and index for X and middle finger for Z. I shield with L.

Thor

I use X to jump (kinda want to switch it to y), R for almost everything related to teching and dodging (trying to switch L to at least shield to make wavedash OoS much easier, so that I don't have to release and quickly press R), I use my index finger on R or Z and I leave my thumb on A to hit A, B, X, and the cstick.

If I made things ideal and got rid of bad habits, I'd use Y to jump, L to shield, R for everything else (and I think I hit R kind of weird too, but I will fix that last if it's a problem), but my default position of hands wouldn't really change. But I'm working on that erratically, so unless I get time to just grind it out and practice how I hold it isn't changing.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
I use modified Nunchuk controls. And yes, I do use different controls with names
All: Taunt buttons mapped to D-pad. Shield is 2 and Grab is 1. I do tap jump with all of them (except NO DI).
Marth (D7K): Grab is mapped to C. A+B is Special. (NOVA): Same as D7K, except with flick smash on (flick the wiimote around to do smashes and stuff.
Ganon (Pixie): Z and C are switched around.
Purin (CRS): Side-Taunt is mapped to C and A+B. (NO DI): Same as CRS, except tap jump is off.
Yoshi (pipe): Grab is mapped to C. Remapped jump to 1.
Everyone (DEAD): Every button is Taunt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightning

Ikesexual
Gamecube controller:
Y to jump.
Tap up on the control stick to jump is turned off.
L is shield.
R is a standard attack. (This made DACUSing easier in vBrawl. No longer useful..)
Rarely use the C-Stick.
I don't use Z to grab.

NEWB

Classic controller pro
Y is grab and x is jump
Tap jump is off
L and r mapped to zl and zr
L and r used for ultra taunts. Not tested.
Haven't experimented with new footstool buttons
A is attack and b is special
D pad is unchanged
I sometimes use the Cstick

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Nunchuk standard.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I use modified Nunchuk controls. And yes, I do use different controls with names
All: Taunt buttons mapped to D-pad. Shield is 2 and Grab is 1. I do tap jump with all of them (except NO DI).
Marth (D7K): Grab is mapped to C. A+B is Special. (NOVA): Same as D7K, except with flick smash on (flick the wiimote around to do smashes and stuff.
Ganon (Pixie): Z and C are switched around.
Purin (CRS): Side-Taunt is mapped to C and A+B. (NO DI): Same as CRS, except tap jump is off.
Everyone (DEAD): Every button is Taunt.
How do you shield? And grab? Do you hold the wiimote and nunchuck different?

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
If I made things ideal and got rid of bad habits, I'd use Y to jump
I've been playing Smash since I was 3 so I can't switch my main jump and only use x for wave dashing and double shine etc that are hard to do control stick only. But y is considered a better button choice so you don't accidentally hit A when you do a special but I never have this issue.
I didn't mention controls I didn't modify. For most of these, I use Z (Pixie and DEAD are the only exceptions)
And no I hold it the same.
Wut?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Gamecube controller
Shield: R
Grab: Z or R+A
Jump: Tap Jump (general purpose] and Y (short hops).
I map X as Special, to short-hop certain Specials with Y.
I have L mapped as Up Taunt, to use as a New Footstool Trigger.
I use the Control Stick+A and the C-Stick for Smashes, whichever works better.

The only downside to using Y to Jump is that I can't short hop effectively without at least 3 frames of Buffer.

Just one reason why I prefer Minus over Project M...

Thor

It must be a practice thing, since I can shorthop with X and Y, at least in isolation. I'm better at using X in an actual match, but I chalk that up to just playing a lot.

Megasaturn99 said:
I've been playing Smash since I was 3 so I can't switch my main jump and only use x for wave dashing and double shine etc that are hard to do control stick only. But y is considered a better button choice so you don't accidentally hit A when you do a special but I never have this issue.

You've been playing Smash since 2000? Jeez... I've played for like a few years, and only with any seriousness for less than a year.

I also can't multshine for my life as of now, best I could try to do is shine -> jump -> shine -> jump -> airdodge immediately and pray I'm low enough to land -> repeat. That's one reason I'd like to switch to Y, so that I don't have to move my hands quite so fast.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
You've been playing Smash since 2000? Jeez... I've played for like a few years, and only with any seriousness for less than a year.

I also can't multshine for my life as of now, best I could try to do is shine -> jump -> shine -> jump -> airdodge immediately and pray I'm low enough to land -> repeat. That's one reason I'd like to switch to Y, so that I don't have to move my hands quite so fast.
My brother introduced me to Pokémon and Smash around that time so video games have played a large part in my life up to this point. I picked up competitive Brawl around 2010 when I moved back to Toronto and dropped it maybe 9 months - 1 year later when I met KirbyKaze and got into Melee.

I don't know if it's my ADHD but I've always had literally off the charts reaction times. I can actually use the grey stick for wavedashing, double shine, etc but it makes my play in Melee much less technical. It's to the point where I can shine and mess up the wave shine by pressing up on the stick before I'm out of hitlag. I have to actually slow myself down to play the game basically.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I use default Gamecube controls. Only difference is when I'm playing Pit, Link, or Toon Link I have to play with Tap jump off.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
GC controller.
L is shield.
R is attack.
Z is grab.
X is jump.
A is attack.
B is special.
C-stick is quick smash.
D-pad is taunts.
Tap jump off.

Valravn

GC controller.
L is shield.
R is attack.
Z is grab.
X is jump.
A is attack.
B is special.
C-stick is quick smash.
D-pad is taunts.
Tap jump off.
This is what I do, except I use L for attack and R for shield. Originally this was to DACUS with Sheik in vBrawl. Despite not playing Sheik or vBrawl anymore, the controls have stuck around.

SAHunterMech

CQC Apprentice
Minus Backroom
Default controls, tap jump off. Apparently I'm not in control of my thumbs, because I use X and Y at random to jump , and I never know which one I'm going to use at any point in time. Same goes for using A or the C-Stick for Smashes/Aerials.

Also, tap jump can go die. I've learned to cope with it in Melee, but dash dancing is just not happening with it on.

EDIT: Also, Doqtor Kirby, what is that awsomeness in your siggy?

Baby_Sneak

regular classic controller:
Y is special
B is attack
A & X is jump
R is grab
L, ZR, & ZL is shield
No tap jump
right analog stick is smash

Thor

Along the lines of SAHunterMech, I think I might possibly fit under MK or Pikachu in your sig [owo already earned Falco and I would love to have a spot in your sig, so...]

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
Um... I'm the only player that uses a Wiimote alone...

Controls are standard for everything.
Not all the time #OtherDarx
Along the lines of SAHunterMech, I think I might possibly fit under MK or Pikachu in your sig [owo already earned Falco and I would love to have a spot in your sig, so...]
Mine?

SAHunterMech

CQC Apprentice
Minus Backroom
Do I have to fill out a form to apply? Heh Heh.

Seriously though, looks really cool. I'd request to be on it, assuming I'm the same caliber as the rest of the folks on it, but my mains are pretty much filled. Maybe I'll ask for Random. :D