Brawl- Past and Present?

Pure

Past:
Who originally came up with the idea of breaking the game until its balanced?
Who were the original team members?
What was the original mod like?

Present:
Who is on the team now?
What does each member do?
How did they become a part of the team?

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
I can't really speak for the past, unfortunately, as I only recently became a dev..though I suppose we could use this as a chance for us devs to introduce ourselves

My name is Sammi Husky, everyone should just call me Husky though. Its easier that way. I'm the most recent addition to the minus BR. As for what I do, that's really all up to what needs to be done. I'm somewhat the jack of all trades, most things that need to be done, I can do. The exceptions are things that I CAN do, but that others do much better. It's all up to whatever I'm told needs finished.

How I became a dev...ahh.hmm..I don't quite remember. I Do remember contacting the devs and saying that if they ever needed help, that I was avaliable..however that itself wasn't how I became member. Unfortunately I don't quite remember much else

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
The project's founder was BPC, or Budget Player Cadet, who wanted a mod "So stupid it would work", and began the project out of boredom. No ability to code did not stop him from beginning this project and seeing people who would help him make this silly dream a reality. As the mod came further along, they saw how overpowered and fun the game was, and named the project Brawl Minus and gained its focus on making everything powerful. Its emphasis on Power was stronger than +'s, and its balance was up to a higher standard than Balanced Brawl's, saying "They balanced the roster to Diddy Kong's level. We balanced them to the level of Akuma from SSF2Turbo."

Older devs are TSON, who did a majority of the original coding, Kirk, who figured out things about the game no one else could and made crazy ideas like turning Bowser into a grappler a reality, Xyless, who is most well known for our old CSPs, and other great named such as MonkUnit, Standard Toaster, MasterLinkXX, Kwalkest, and Oro!?

As for the current team, I'll state each current player and what we do.

Aries Veira - Awesome animator who creates animations like it's absolutely nothing. If there are animation changes, it's likely he had a part in it.

Damien - Also known as Dirt or Bowser the Train, he was the project leader from 2.0-2.X, he took the reins of the project after BCP left and helped form what it is today. Actually only came back to the dev team just recently.

Glitch - One with technical skill and interesting conversational abilities, he is the man who manages the codesets for both Brawl Minus and Brawl Minus Zeus. Not only that, but he also created our current tumblr and made these forums, go Glitch! Also ported Zeus to America for the curious ones! A huge fan of posting fun links in the BR.

Kienamaru - Kien is one of Minus' main coders, and a huge Zelda fan. He's responsible for the MAX incarnation of every Zelda character outside of Ganon, and has also done various work on other characters such as Ike. Also a huge fan of canon, incorporating many ideas from a character's game to help up the awesome. Very likely to ask you what your name is.

Mech - Designer for Brawl Minus. His primary contributions are....Oh, I'm not able to say it yet, you're gonna have to wait to see what he's cooked up!

Numbuh214 - A great coder who pops in from time to time, and has always stuck with Minus no matter what. He's responsible for the current incarnations of Royal Rampage and the MODARN SANIC build. Loves discussing pogeymans.

Pin Clock - I'm the current project leader, maintaining development speed and progress of Minus, as well as keeping track of everyone's work. I came up with the ideas for MAX Jigglypuff, heavily pushed the beta update that introduced MAX Dedede and Samus at the same time, and am responsible for the creation of the Valentine's Update, resuming Minus after we thought we were finished. In addition, I will be creating the new CSPs for Minus 3.3. Watches shows about cute girls doing cute things.

Sammi Husky - A young eager coder who recently joined the team and learned how to code with the goal of making Minus better in mind. He's providing touches on plenty of characters for the 3.3 update. Loves the Lucario.

Thunduh-Moo - The leader and primary coder for Minus from 2.X.6, all throughout MAX's beta to its completion, his coding abilities are through the roof, and will put his all into something when he is determined to do so. Which is pretty frequently. He is responsible for MAX's existence, the creation of many character's current incarnations, and countless countless builds of Captain Olimar. If you wish to summon him, use the Moo call. MOOOOOO!

Tybis - Our stage man, who looks at every possible angle on how to make a stage better. Responsible for touching up many stages, the Minus version of Yoshi's Island Melee, the upcoming Lavender Town stage, and stages yet to come. (Handshake).

And there you have it, a rough profile of the Brawl Minus Teams from then and now. I hope this post was informative!

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
Lots of love to all the devs :D you practically built your own game

Thor

If there was a like button I would use it for that awesome post.

Are there old versions of Brawl- floating around out there? I'd love to see how the game has changed over time by downloading and playing some of those older builds (hackless if you have it).

Lightning

Ikesexual
Thor said:
Are there old versions of Brawl- floating around out there? I'd love to see how the game has changed over time by downloading and playing some of those older builds (hackless if you have it).
I think I still have Brawl Minus 2.0 on my computer. I dont know if it's for hackless, but I'd be glad to give you it.

NEWB

If you are the current leader pin, then I take it thunduh is on a break? Haven't seen him in awhile. He was very active up until max was released. His in depth analysis of our ideas are missed.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
I assure you that all your ideas are still thoroughly analyzed :p we just don't always get back to people here on the forums with reasons why this or that. Pin is the current project leader, as thunda stepped down after MAX was released. he's still around. dunno if he browses these forums often though

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Thunduh got plenty busy with real life things such as school and decided to pass the torch when I proposed we released a balance patch on Valentine's Day. He is still coding from time to time, and is working on a few new moves and character revamps for the next update. Just too busy to run the project like he used to. He posts on the forums when there are big things, like that one time where the Metal Mario thread was our biggest and most controversial topic.

As for us "ending", I honestly cannot see that happening. BRAWL Minus will end, but depending how things go us working on projects will not stop. Besides, there's a new game coming out soon, we may start fresh depending on how things go.

wanted to try 2.x.6 again, but couldn't that tool to work. do any unbroken links for that version exist?

Thor

Okay, I'm posting this here because it happened when I clicked on 2.X.6 hackles FIXED download. I downloaded it, and instead of getting a zipped folder to unzip, I got something that looked like a white square (sort of almost like a notepad doc or something) and couldn't extract anything. Why does it not download properly, or else what am I supposed to do with this (I had no problems when I first downloaded 2.X.6... why does this issue come up with the download that claims to be fixed?)

EDIT: Maybe I just have problems. I got 7Zip (a while back actually) and noticed it let me extract stuff. I take it I just can't use Microsoft Default stuff? If so, that explains my problem.

what OS do you use? it's a .7z compressed file, you may need to download a program that can unzip that particular file type.

EDIT: just saw your edit. nevermind.

Thor

Well, is 7Zip supposed to work? I just tried redownloading 1.01 (Valentines) and unzipping that using 7Zip, but my Wii still won't run it... it acts like nothing is present on the SD card (so I go to stage builder and nothing occurs). I haven't tried the old mods, but it's frustrating me that I can't get 1.01 hackless to run. I take these steps... (I maybe should take this to some troubleshooting thread but I'll post here):

1. Wipe Brawl Minus Max 1.0 stuff off my SD card that is size 2GB. My SD card is now empty.
2. Click on the link in the first post of "Brawl Minus Max 1.01 is here" and click the Hackless link.
3. Click download on the big green button up top.
4. X out of the pop up window.
5. At the bottom of the window that I opened in step 2 (where I clicked download), I click "Save" so that the file downloads and saves in my "Downloads" folder.
6. After it's downloaded, I right-click on the folder.
[Here I have tried two different methods - I list them both.]
7a. I choose extract all.
8a. It gives me (while downloading) a ton of crap about how stuff has encryption problems, and I click proceed while copying it over.
9a. It finishes eventually.
10a. I plug SD card into my Wii, turn it on, load up Brawl, and go to Stage Builder. There is nothing in the Stage Builder and nothing loads up.

7b. I click on 7Zip and choose to extract files to a new location
8b. I click on the browse button and then find the root of the SD card (It's like F:/ or something)
9b. I extract, and it runs smoothly.
10b. Same problem as 10a.

I'm not sure if the same thing happens when I try 2.X.6, but I will try that soon and report on what happens. And just to be clear, I've never gotten the Valentine's update, 1.01, to run on my Wii (which is frustrating).

have you tried downloading the patch and just replacing the files in 1.0 with the new ones (i think it was something like sixteen character pacs, maybe a couple fitmotionpacs as well, and one stage pac)?

Ferrous Faucet

Thor I'll try to help you but I've never run hackless before. I am looking at the .zip from the Hackless download and I notice that it doesn't have an apps folder with Gecko OS, which means it must be intended to run through Riivolution. Since I'm not one of the creators of this .zip I can only guess that this is intentional. For what it's worth, I never had any luck running Brawl mods through Riivolution, it simply didn't seem to work for me when I tried it long ago, so I always use Gecko OS which I run from the Homebrew Channel.

OK I just downloaded the .zip file in the Hackless link. This is the same link from the Brawl Minus MAX 1.01 is HERE! thread.

Inside the .zip, there are two folders. One is called _MACOSX and one is called Brawl Minus Maximum. You should ignore the _MACOSX folder. What you need to do is extract the Brawl Minus Maximum folder, and then copy the contents of that folder, not the folder itself, to the root of your SD card. When you're finished the SD card root should look like this:

Now that it's finished, start your Wii and go to the Custom Stage Builder.

If this doesn't work, then my next guess is that you need a different boot.elf. I'll help you if that's the case, but since this folder doesn't include Gecko OS then I'm not even sure if I can help you there. Instead, I can guide you on how to download Gecko OS and a compatible boot.elf, which you need to add to the SD card in addition to everything you got out of that download above.

EDIT: I also sent Pin Clock a private message so hopefully he will clear this up.

Ferrous Faucet

I'm glad I could help!

And since I wrote that post I realized that it probably runs Gecko OS from the boot.elf in the root directory, instead of from the apps directory like when using the Homebrew Channel, because Smash Stack automatically reads what is in the root. Right?

Thor

I have almost no idea what the second half of your post means Fe. Sorry.

That said... I realized that somewhere people were talking about a "full" changelist, and since this is past and present, this is a good place to bring it up. While I realize the site may not be that accurate, I have been using this site to look at changes to the game sometimes (to see if I can do cool stuff or to check how to do certain things like Luigi's trip attack), so maybe this has a more complete-ish changelog? It doesn't have how attacks have changed stat-wise (Ex: IASA, duration, etc.) although we could use SWF for vBrawl values and then compare to now. But it does list a bunch of changes if anyone wants to try to make a full changelog...

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Brawl-