Brawl Minus v3.3 Tier List Discussion

Glyph

WARNING: THIS TIER LIST DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING! ITS LITERALLY JUST LIKE WHO I FEEL IS BEST AND PUT INTO A SEMI-COHERENT ORDER! TIER LISTS WITHOUT TOURNEY RESULTS MEAN ABOUT AS MUCH AS A RANDOM LIST OF CHARACTERS SLAPPED UP BUT HEY YOU'RE NOT MY MOM DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE OK GOSH

So its been a while since we last looked at tier discussion, but I'm very confident that the game has evolved a good bit since then and we could benefit from looking at where people feel characters are falling out now. Something that you should take away from this is that this tier list is WRONG. Don't get mad at me if you see a character you think is great towards the bottom, but DO get a replay of that character doing great things and show me. Way easier to change someone's mind with evidence, a lot harder to do it with 'yeah he's better, TRUST me'.

Ok tier list go
A Tier
1. Lucario
2. D3
3. ROB
4. Sheik
5. ZSS
6. Wolf
7. Ganon -2
B Tier
8. Bowser
9. Donkey Kong
10. Captain Falcon
11. Zelda
12. Jigglypuff
13. Olimar +3
14. Ivysaur
15. Falco +15
16. Ike
17. Diddy
18. Marth +3
19. Fox
20. Link
21. Metaknight +16
22. Snake
23. Luigi
24. Charizard
25. Wario
26. Kirby
27. Yoshi
28. Pit
C Tier
29. Ness
30. Lucas +5
31. G&W+8
32. Toon Link
33. Ice Climbers
34. Mario
35. Pikachu
36. Peach
37. Samus -4
38. Squirtle
39. Pichu -10
40. Sonic
A Tier
1. Lucario - It may not be as universal as it once was, but I still maintain that Lucario's the strongest character in the game. Not be the leaps and bounds we used to see, but the sheer power Lucario can output if you can't put him down (and with smart use of counter, its gunna be a trial) makes it like facing down a Ganon who can move around the stage in a blink of the eye. His projectile game is fairly weak (of course ignoring the high percentage version), but fits well into his chase game offstage and helps pile damage up and keep Lucario safe. The recent Lucario nerfs make this critter a lot more manageable before 75%, but there's also nothing stopping Lucario from pumping himself up via taunts and charging his sphere, or just straight up fighting you for a bit. In a nut shell, kill Lucario before he hits high percentages or you're going to lose.

2. D3 - Surprise, this list still looks a lot like it used to. Don't worry I promise it gets more varied once we start getting further down. D3 I -almost- even put above Lucario, if only because D3 is pretty much everything Lucario has nightmares about. If you're playing a good D3, you're playing his game. No ifs ands or buts. He WILL take stage control, and from there its a matter of desperately navigating the maze of hurt he's laying down while simultaneously keeping an eye out for gordos breaking through the rest of the minion rain. Even when you DO finally break through his mess, you're still left looking at a really big problem; D3's grab game is ludicrously good. The base damage on his throws are very high, but if you manage to get caught with a minion in the actual throw you wind up taking somewhere around 25% and end up sitting in prime minion tossing area. D3 is held back by how rewarding it is to actually break through his defenses, he's a big slow fatty with overall poor aerial responses to most characters.

3. ROB - Don't think there's many people left out there who aren't familiar with what ROB is capable of. He's got a great projectile game, strong approach, and amazing recovery. Easiest way to deal with ROB is stay in shield and let him come to you. Keep him above you when you can and for the love of god don't miss techs because they're free gyro hits.

4. Sheik - Fighting a good Sheik will raise your blood pressure. No other character can keep you so on guard from the moment the game starts til the second the announcer calls 'game' like she can, and on top of that she's lightning fast in the air and has KO power out the butt. It starts to eat away at you when you keep trying to hit Sheik only to have her vanish out of the way and appear behind you... and I love it. Sheik FEELS like a ninja. From the way she moves, to the way she attacks, it all just clicks. And that makes actually catching her out and landing a combo feel that much more rewarding. You had nothing but your gut intuition, and you called the shot right and reaped the benefits. Or you missed and now you're on fire and dead but such is life.

5. Ganon - Old man Grandpadorf is still very much alive and kickin, mostly because he's still pretty much the exact same version we've seen for a long time now. A lot of people have lamented the loss of his cancel out of his neutral b, but seriously that was far from a pivotal part of his game and only served to make a 1-hit-KO move super risk free if they hadn't already gotten to you. Outside of that, Ganon is still a true force to be reckoned with. Eat a solid 4 or 5 attacks from Ganon and you'll likely be down a stock, and believe me its not cake to keep him off of you. With side-b being a tech chasing machine, and down-b coming out lightning fast you have to be ready for Ganon at all times to keep up. But alas, he's still got the same weaknesses any big slow character has. He's gunna get combo'd. He's gunna get gimped. That's the world you live in when you pick Ganon, but you're also never more than a handful of hits away from a big comeback either!

6. Zero Suit Samus - Man can you believe that the first list I made had her at like the BOTTOM?! The way I see ZSS is pretty much C. Falcon if he got around to using his gun, and also apparently its a stun gun. Very nimble, incredible aerial followups, and a lot of range on almost everything she's throwing out there. Surprisingly, its not her recovery that really slows her down though. ZSS struggles thanks to some difficulty landing kills outside of fair and bair, which are certainly not impossible to land but pale in comparison to the ease you have with the rest of her kit as well as her generally light weight. Its hard to keep Zamus around from a legit kill, but at least this time around you're not just getting gimped right away.

7. Wolf - Man Wolf is just good ok? He's got a strong, really obnoxious projectile that eats through whatever you're doing and locks you in place for a second. He's got mobility for days with his side-b/side-b cancels. His jabs are sexy. His aerials all either combo great or blow people away. The one think I don't think Wolf does exceptionally well is recover. On paper, wolf's recovery is nigh infinite. You just chain side-bs forever, but in application this is not always the case. With such wide sweeping motions, it makes if difficult for wolf to reach a pinpoint location. Like the ledge. Meaning from the second you start your recovery, a Wolf player needs to be in RED FLASHING LIGHT CRITICAL DEATH MODE because even a SLIGHT mistiming will put you just a liiiiiitle bit off and whoops now you're dead.

B Tier
8. Bowser - Bowser has always been a fantastic character, even with his weaknesses of being hella easy to combo since he can live to close to 200% no problem if you're not landing the right moves on him. Couple that with his ability to actually kill you at like 70% and you have a problem. Couple THAT with the whole Royal Rampage shenanigans and you have a downright TERROR. With the recent slew of buffs Bowser's received, he's harder than ever to actually pin down while picking up a HUGE amount of combo potential from the reworks of his down and side specials. Bowser might live forever off the top, but he's still very prone to being gimped if you can manage to get him below the stage.

9. Donkey Kong - Like Bowser, but more barrels. DK gives you a lot more wiggle room than Bowser does in that you're not really required to land a grab to get things going, you just gotta get in there and be a big dumb angry monkey and slap some punks around. His jab combo sets up for pretty much WHATEVER he wants, and DK really shines his brightest when he's in the air or throwing out his massive utilt at low percentages. The recovery buff helped cover one of DK's greatest flaws, leaving him the typical fatty character problems where you're just a big target for hits.

10. Captain Falcon - When I first was added the the BRoom and Falcon came up, someone told me 'the only thing holding back Falcon is your own imagination.' Or something to that effect. At the time it seemed really silly but the more I've played the more I've seen that Falcon is capable of pretty much just that. Massive combo potential, the best finishing aerial in the game (maybe not literally, but LITERALLY), and speed only rivaled by someone you won't see for a long time on this list. Falcon played to perfection is probably the best character in the game due to his sheer speed, but of course you'll notice he's NOT at the top of the list. If you've played Falcon, odds are you've been gimped. And by 'odds are' I mean 'you definitely got gimped'. Falcon is fast, but SO predictable offstage. You're gunna see him use side-b if he's too far out for just up-b, and then up-b if that doesn't get him back to the stage. You might see some slight variety if he's still got his double jump, but that's pretty much it.

11. Zelda - Zelda is one of those characters that is completely overwhelming, until you get a feel for what exactly Zelda is looking to do. The teleport mechanics give her insane presence on the stage and a reliable counterplay to a lot of projectile users. She's got great KO potential and can be very safe while going for it. But once you realize that you can block her ranged hitboxes and even if she teleports to you, you can just grab her in the end lag, you're pretty much in control. She CAN come to you, but thats not a bad thing anymore. If she doesn't warp to you, you just drop your shield and keep truckin on with your own approach. She'll run out of stage to back away on, and then you take it to her. She's notoriously lightweight, so once you get your hands on her she won't be long for this world.

12. Jigglypuff - Around this part of the list I'm going to start dropping off on these descriptions because goddamn I have FORTY characters to deal with now and I'm only on 12. In all honesty, I'm not even sure I'm putting Jiggs high enough on this list. There's a LOT of potential for rest combos that haven't had their surface scratched, and we've already seen how well the whole gravity taunt can be utilized. Jiggs is a monster both on stage and ESPECIALLY off. But, yes, a character named 'Jigglypuff' is also super easy to kill.

13. Ivysaur - Ivysaur is insanely good if you can keep people zoned effectively. Between bair and uair alone you can just poke at people all day until you get them to kill percentages and then work towards her awesome throws or powerful aerials. The down-b nerfs DO hurt and you can very very easily punish a whiffed leaf storm, as well as the crit hit on razor leaf being nigh impossible to land make her a less potent fighter than she once was. But not by a huge degree!

14. Ike - To be completely upfront, this Ike placement is based off of the buffs that are being considered for Ike currently because really they just make a lot more sense than what its currently at. But even without them, he only would have dropped a handful of places since Ike is so much more than NSM. Ike plays a lot like Ganon, except without the grab on the end of his rushes and instead a lot more combo power. Ike's not going to be exactly chasing anyone offstage often, but while he's onstage he's going to be cleaning up. Unless they have a good projectile they can spam. Then Ike's going to struggle a bit.

15. Diddy - Diddy's combo and pressure game is pretty unreal, and his peanut spawning mechanic is a really useful interrupt when used properly. He's still very predictable in his recovery, but thankfully for him if he's above the stage he has a much easier time making something happen with side-b than he will trying to charge up his up-b. Once the latter comes into play, pretty much anyone with a bit of timing and a good dair will put an end to poor Diddy.

16. Olimar - New Olimar is SUPER cool. He's still potentially a spam machine, but the new side-b really rewards Olimar for getting in there and locking the opponent in place until the pikmin hits go off. Some of the kills you see this achieve are some of the flashiest stuff I've seen in minus. The once glaring weakness of his recovery is now only a SLIGHTLY glaring weakness, which is at least a step forward. He can cover a lot more ground but is relatively helpless while doing so, meaning you need to be very careful and play around your opponent just as much as you needed to before.

17. Fox - I really think this a much better fit for Fox than his previous A Tier placement, because while yes he -can- be played incredibly effectively the same can be said for a lot of the cast without such precision and speed required. Shinespikes are just as sexy in minus as they were in melee, and they're arguably a lot easier to pull off now (though with how mobile people are offstage I might end up having to take that back).

18. Link - Another fallen A Tier character, I just have been having a hard time seeing Link with a huge advantage over pretty much anyone these days. His projectiles set up a solid wall, but they also lock Link into place while he's throwing them out for the most part (or at least largely slow down his approach). Which in a sense is the whole point of his projectile game, but Link is so much stronger up close and its pretty easy to just block pretty much anything he can throw at you at a range. His recovery covers a ton of area yeah, but if you manage to hit him out of it he's really not that much harder to gimp than anyone else with a straightforward recovery.

19. Snake - Snake I feel like is just too middle ground to really excel at anything in particular in minus. He's pretty heavy, but not enough to keep him alive to ridiculous percentages while still being enough to make him easy combo bait. He's got solid projectiles, but they're not more impressive than a lot of others and they're also one of the few that can be turned back around against the character using them. He's got good stage control, but its easily avoided most of the time and can be triggered by hitting them with a projectile or disjointed hitbox. He's a great character, but just doesn't really have anything that puts him REALLY up there.

20. Luigi - Probably deserves to be higher, but I just don't feel it from what I've experienced. His combo game is unreal, but it just doesn't seem to have the KO power behind it that some of the other characters have.

21. Marth - Better than I've thought in the past for sure, but still just a very straight forward character. Got great range of course, but his tippers aren't anything more powerful than you'll see in a lot of the powerhouse characters. I don't even know what more he needs, since on paper he's already a very solid character. I think my biggest problem with Marth is honestly he's just dull to me. There's only so much variety you can find in a character who's every attack is 'he swings his sword THIS way', but that doesn't mean he's not a viable character. Lots of good combos, powerful smashes (though requiring specific spacing still), and a far reaching approach in his neutral b cancels.

22. Charizard - Charizard can be an incredibly commanding character and be absolutely devastating in his approach. Charizard's biggest problem is that his fair works great for zoning, unless your opponent like... shields it. And then they can just come bop you in the endlag. And once they're in on Charizard, he's just like the rest of the fatties. Something I failed to touch on last time as well were the power he has in his nair, and the stage control he can take with his rock smash (usually ledge control). The fireball is a neat addition, but with how slow its startup is you'll more often than not find that your opponent managed to air dodge or roll out of the way.

23. Wario - Once we start getting into this territory down here it starts to become less 'this character is worse than the one above it' and more 'these guys are all good but I have to put them in SOME order so here we go'. Wario's a good character. His aerial mobility is unrivaled, even when looking at characters like Jigglypuff. He's got a lot of great KO moves that can take people by surprise, but like, I just don't see him as one of the best characters in the game so far. So much of his kills seem to rely more on catching your opponent out, and if you can't do that you're going to be stuck fighting them for a lot longer than you'd normally be.

24. Kirby - Surprised? I was a bit too frankly, but when you look at how characters can kill as early as they do compared to Kirby I don't think he deserves as high of a spot as he's previously had. Sure Kirby's Fsmash packs a massive punch, but beyond that you're pretty much going to find yourself stuck building up to 100% and shooting for uthrow to finish people off or hoping you can manage a dair gimp offstage. Looking at the alongside Kirby's low low weight, it just doesn't add up to an A tier character or even high B tier.

25. Yoshi - Yoshi. He's a good character. Surprisingly good recovery with the super armor on his jumps. Good projectile, good combo potential. I dunno. I don't see Yoshi played a lot.

26. Pit - I see even less of Pit than I do than Yoshi. WHOOPS.

27. Pichu - Still very very early in Pichu's career to be placing this, but I really don't see Pichu as a top character or even somewhere close to there. Pichu has a handful (nair and side-b specifically) of moves that hit obscenely hard, but otherwise doesn't really have anything to offer that Pika doesn't already, with a less fluid feel. I'd still put Pichu above Pika if only for the more consistent killing power.

C Tier
28. Ness - If ever there was a character that I felt like DEFINED C Tier, it would be Ness. For all intents and purposes outside of recovery, Ness is a BOSS. His combo game is incredible. His projectile pressure with aerial PK fire and PK thunder is amazing. He can get kills stupid early with his dair. And yet, his recovery is SO BAD that all of that is offset by it enough that I can't even call him B tier.

29. Falco - Incredibly obnoxious with his laser walls, to the point where I started to realize how many people can say Falco is probably one of their worst matchups out there. Honestly, I STILL don't know that I have him high enough here considering the sheer edge he can pull on such a hefty amount of the cast just by playing passively and coming in once there's a comfortable opening. Once he is in, he's capable of dishing out a pretty decent amount of damage too. His combos won't exactly drag on for days, but its enough to rack up some solid damage and then fall back and wait for another chance to come in.

30. Toon Link - I don't know a ton about TL, but I know you can reflect his arrows and pretty much make his biggest asset into a massive problem for him. Outside of that, he's fast but not unbelievably so, and his range on his attacks leaves you wanting a lot of the time.

31. Ice Climbers - Pretty tentative spot here, the ICs have had a LOT of their problems addressed but I simply don't know enough about them to really put them anywhere yet. I feel like they'll probably settle in SOMEWHERE around here, possibly higher, but I still don't see them as one of the scariest characters in the game.

32. Mario - Mario's a pretty good character, but a lot like Snake he's not really excelling at anything enough to make him a super threat to anyone. With his Metal Mario edge taken almost entirely away he's just not exceptionally special anymore.

33. Samus - Probably too early to say whether or not this placement is right, but for now I don't really see Samus taking off to much. Not to say it can't happen, but hey got nothin but time here.

34. Pikachu - Suuuuper effective as a gimp character, but there's a number of characters who can either recover too quickly or can stall offstage until Pika's exhausted his thunders/thunderbolts. Pika's legit kill power isn't nearly as potent, so if you can't manage to land a gimp you're gunna end up scraping kills out post 150% more often than not.

35. Lucas - I've always found Lucas to be like a worse Ness. His recovery is more potent, and he's got a more versatile offstage game. But I don't feel like his damage output or actual kill power is anywhere close to Ness'.

36. Peach - For all the changes Peach has seen, I still don't see Peach as a threat like I do the majority of the of the cast. Like any other character in the game, she can be played effectively and win games but I think she has to work harder still.

37. Metaknight - GOOD BUT NOT GREAT just like pretty much everyone down here on this list I dunno. I've been writing this for forever now so forgive me for falling off at the end here.

38. Squirtle - Too easily killed thanks to being super light weight AND having a terrible recovery.

39 G&W - Feels less like a minus character and more of 'generic smash guy'. Everything he has feels so bland, but I'm not sure if thats due to his moveset or just because he's a 2D guy who doesn't have a whole lot of room for craziness.

40. Sonic - I used to say stuff like 'man I'm really scared of seeing a good Sonic', but now I'm pretty sure that's just not going to happen. Not because people aren't good at Sonic, but because Sonic himself is not that good. Sure you can use his speed boost really well and rain down hell on people from all sides, but that doesn't matter at all if you can't get a kill. Sonic is in desperate need of something to actually END his assault on, because as is with good DI you can expect to live for a LONG time.

So there you have it, my personal opinion of where things lie at the moment. Feel free to rip into it and tell me where things should be different, but also remember I'm sneakily using this to get replays out of you suckers as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

pretty good list. hopefully this thread makes for some constructive and informative discussion.

olimar is top ten. so many options, really unpredictable. silly good tilts and vicious pikmin...
IC's are much more minus now. no longer at the bottom.
pichu seems better every time i play it. luigi is a problem matchup. eh, way too early to place.

samus is still.. not.. great... or even 28..

i can't play sonic, but surely someone can.. and well..

peach is really underrated. her main flaw should put her just below diddy and luigi.

Lightning

Ikesexual
11. Zelda -
If she doesn't warp to you, you just drop your shield and keep truckin on with your own approach. She'll run out of stage to back away on, and then you take it to her. She's notoriously lightweight, so once you get your hands on her she won't be long for this world.
This is so accurate it made me cringe.

37. Sonic -
Sonic is in desperate need of something to actually END his assault on, because as is with good DI you can expect to live for a LONG time.
Sonic really, really needs some buffs.

Thor

In my opinion Falco < MK and I'll explain why:

Falco: Almost literally no approach options besides his reflector (he has no disjoints except this and most of the rest of the cast seems to have them - he's just outclassed, unless his dash attack is better than I give credit to), lasers (obvious), or side+B jumping, but you have to be extremely far from them for this to work (unless someone wants to tell me shortening them and you can still jump out of the endlag, but that's also predictable) and his combo game is rather bad (you can tech out of his dairs past like 50% and he falls to slow for you to do anything about it above 60%, at which point you're toast for combos and have to tech chase, and Falco falls too slow to even get to the ground for a tech chase, where he's still not fast - there's also the fact that his dair combo game is weaker because he falls slower as mentioned above, and his grounded options of ditlt and utilt seem to have more endlag than their melee counterparts, and certainly less lag than his Melee shine [don't put that back in though].). If you shield his approaches with side+b and reflector, you really just have to fear lasers + grab which you can often jump over, and then Falco is stuck with nondisjoints and a limited range (bair is his best I guess) versus a disjointed cast or outranging cast, and he's not a speedster so he has to control speedsters like CF, because Falcon and others can come flying in with fair or whatever. His reflector's second half also seems to drag people past him a lot so one misses dtilt and such, but maybe I'm just mediocre. I still think Falco is 'good', but not nearly as good as the rest of the cast. He honestly plays his best game like Brawl Falco - you have to zone the crap out of everyone because his lasers and reflector provide a strong zoning point to jump into people. They let him deal effectively with much more of the cast than he should for a bottom tier character, and keep his MUs if played properly decent, but I honestly don't believe Falco actually solidly beats any character, except possibly ICs, because of just how ridiculous his reflector is versus the Ice Climbers. I notice people don't SDI out of bthrow enough - I get way too many gimps with that thing when just holding down lets you escape most of the lasers. Another part of the problem is that jab is not as good in this game because you can't jab grab or safely stop jabs, since will get jabbed out of his own jab endlag unless he does the spin, which is hardly viable, especially considering there are many strong longer-range approaches so his close-quarters game doesn't do that much. Fortunately Falco's fsmash is a good move. I think if Falco's reflector wasn't what it is, with hitboxes throughout making it safer, Falco would be around Sonic's level. I might be exaggerating a bit, but he feels outclassed. Fair still feels somewhat mediocre (I might use it wrong), as does nair (zero range and feels less rewarding than dair usually).

MK meanwhile possesses traits that make him efficient, but not flashy. His nado is a great chaser and offers reasonable protection for starting combos (nado on shield is actually not bad in this game) and lets him approach in a rather safe manner versus a lot of the cast. Dair is (in my opinion) less effective than it should be but still gimps well (Falco has dair, so they're about equal). Drill Rush is also a decent close-up approach - one can grab or nair out of it easily, so it can lead to KOs and still functions as a fine approach. Fair and bair are still good moves, and uair is still uair, just with less combo potential. His ftilt feels marginally safer than Falco's, and sets up great tech chases at low percents. Dtilt is still good for air games, and utilt has nice KO power. Fsmash is way laggy (maybe a little less please?), but dsmash has good edgeguard setups and not bad KO power. Upsmash gives uairs sometimes and is safe on shield. MK has a strong KO grab and two general use grabs, as well as the situational fthrow. Both MK and Falco recover well.

So MK has better approaches in my mind. He doesn't camp, but I don't think he needs to. He (like much of the cast) feels like he can create openings easily and punish mistakes well and punish quickly, while Falco has to laser to open people up (as good as reflector is, it lets Falco get close, but current launch angles make followups more or less impossible, and the second half sometimes leaves Falco attacking the air), and Falco doesn't have the juggle and chasing game of Meta Knight. I have my ideas for buffing Falco, although this isn't the thread for that.

If you disagree, please do say so; I might be completely wrong, but this is my impression based on playing both characters.

WastedCrits

I haven't played sonic in 3.3 yet, but when I played against gold, I did surprisingly well considering the differences in our skill levels. Fair racks up damage fairly well, and uair kills much better than people seem to think, though it's the only reliable way to kill besides fsmash or gimps. Also, proper use of onstage springs as a combo starter, or just an annoying hazard, can make a big difference in how well sonic fares. I agree, though, sonic needs a big boost to kill power, I just don't think he's bottom tier, with his damage racking and godly recovery.

Glyph

Falco I really think might deserve a higher spot when his meta starts falling out a bit more clearly, if only because of how big of a problem his lasers are for almost the entire cast. Even characters like ROB get caught up in them, and any counterplay you might throw out with projectiles is fairly easily reflected back at you. I'd even go as far to say Falco is ROB's worst matchup since he has perfect answers to ROB's approach AND ROB's keep away game. Noting that, Falco still just doesn't really shine outside of keeping people off of him or zipping in for a combo. You can do some fancy stuff, but if you can't manage to keep the pressure up the tables turn on him very quickly.

As for MK, I just haven't ever really been super impressed with the things I've seen him do when you weigh it against how light he is. With this newer rework there might be some hope for him being a lot more viable, but hey thats what the replay stuff is for right?

Thor

I had actually almost mentioned in my previous post that his tools tend to piss ROB off because he camps and has a reflector, but I figured it wasn't relevant.

Actually I think Falco could suit me because I think his goal is to play with one person said I have [in Melee]: "Mew2King-levels of gay." [though I don't usually play like that in Minus, which is why I often play other characters.] No one else in the game is as dependent as Falco on camping one to death via reflector and lasers and teleporting in with side+b for a usmash or aerial (which is still not exactly unpredictable). I still think his combo game is weaker than most of the cast, since his dair combos rely on missed techs and he falls too slow to follow up at like 80+%, but Falco's goal [I now realize] shouldn't be to combo, but just to shut down the rest of the cast's combo ability; he's like an anti-meta character, because his goal is to stop ridiculous combos and just pewpewpewpew you to death.

In retrospect, I think I do just fine versus a lot of people with Falco, until I start trying to approach. Then with his pretty bad approach everything goes to hell.

I think if I played a much less aggressive Falco, I might be able to make a game versus your ROB go down to last stock, and also do well against some of Gold_TSG's characters [maybe not]. I also think Falco is also probably the most obvious character to shut down ROB, although I don't know if it's the worst MU.

I like the points you've raised. I'm reconsidering under the idea that Falco just shouldn't be trying to approach unless you need a KO and have lasers out already (he doesn't really have any long combo strings unless you count lasers + 2 or 3 hits + more if they miss techs and/or don't DI, which I don't count).

I would assume you saw the replay of my MK versus Fe's Dedede? I know that was 1.00 or 1.01, and that I lost, but I was pretty unfamiliar with exactly how his damage-racking should be conducted, and I think he still has a decent gimp game. [Though now I don't know if he's better than Falco or not].

Glyph

Move the replays to your SD card, then go into your private folder, down to RSBE, then copy the folder called 'RP' and send me whats inside of that.

WastedCrits

I was already saving them directly to SD, I just don't know exactly how to send them to you. Sorry, I'm new at this forum stuff.

CaptainEllipsis

Graphic/Character Designer
I feel like Diddy should be in like A tier at least.
I'll have to actually get matches to prove my point though.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I feel like Diddy should be in like A tier at least.
I'll have to actually get matches to prove my point though.

D: What does that make DK if he can handle what Diddy throws out?

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
D: What does that make DK if he can handle what Diddy throws out?
Means that DK would have a good matchup against Diddy, at the very least.
You need more than a few good matchups to be higher tier though.

Gold_TSG

Well I can consistently handle virtually any character with DK that isn't Lucario or Rob, so I dunno how that would play out for an unimportant tier list. Once I get a combo started, threy're getting into the 60s or 70s.

Also Olimar is awesome and needs some love.

Thor

@ Gold_TSG, have you played a good Dedede? I don't know how good Ferrous Faucet is, but I played him on Hyrule as Ike in 1.01 and it was awful (I kept it kind of close because I took 150+% on the most stocks [didn't die early], and I was ahead after first stock because I got an Eruption charge after taking 80%, and at 150% he went for fsmash; I countered fsmash -> eruption for an Two-Hit-KO.) Dedede's zoning is really annoying.

Gold_TSG

I've beaten his DDD before with DK, if memory serves.

Glyph

For those of you who have disagreed with some placements, where exactly on the list would you put them at?

Also, I'd like to hear from you guys on where exactly you see the unlisted characters at.

Gold_TSG

Marth should be B at least. Same with Olimar, as he's a really good fatty-slayer, and overall pain in the ass when you get his stuff in.

WastedCrits

I'd agree with a higher placement for Marth, he's a very spacing reliant character, but he's killer if you can play him well, but just like fox, he's much more skill reliant than most of the cast to achieve full potential. As for sonic, I think he should be around B- or C+. In your explanation for Ness's spot, you highlighted the three important... attributes I suppose?... for a high tier character:damage racking, kill power, and recovery. Ness has the first two but sorely lacks the last. Sonic also has two, recovery and damage racking, but lacks kill power, which I believe places him on equal footing with Ness, at least. Incidentally, Metaknight kinda fills out this trio, having great kill power and recovery, but lacking damage racking(which made him broken in FFAs where damage racking is the least important attribute.)

Thor

I think our inability to place a wide variety of characters strictly in a line [ex: maybe should be higher, we disagree by a wide number of placing (from C to B)] is a testament to how much the devs have been able to balance the game. So thanks to the devs for making this game fairly balanced so far.

MK also has somewhat better damage racking now, though his combo ability actually doesn't feel much stronger than his ability in Brawl (in Brawl uair was great, not it's not but he has a few other tools). Or maybe it's just that you actually have to think when trying to combo with MK, instead of like most characters where you just get juggles with uairs or repeatedly bairing/fairing them toward the blastzones.

Gold_TSG

MK was more a "pick this character to win" in vBrawl, since he required almost no skill to play well, had amazing damage, kill power, mobility, comboability, grabs, air game and priority. Here in Minus, he's trickier to use because a lot of that was taken away in favor of making him more technical and risky, so you actually feel accomplished in earning each kill rather than gimping every character so easily you might as well be fighting a child.

Glyph

Marth should be B at least. Same with Olimar, as he's a really good fatty-slayer, and overall pain in the ass when you get his stuff in.

I'd agree with a higher placement for Marth, he's a very spacing reliant character, but he's killer if you can play him well, but just like fox, he's much more skill reliant than most of the cast to achieve full potential. As for sonic, I think he should be around B- or C+. In your explanation for Ness's spot, you highlighted the three important... attributes I suppose?... for a high tier character:damage racking, kill power, and recovery. Ness has the first two but sorely lacks the last. Sonic also has two, recovery and damage racking, but lacks kill power, which I believe places him on equal footing with Ness, at least. Incidentally, Metaknight kinda fills out this trio, having great kill power and recovery, but lacking damage racking(which made him broken in FFAs where damage racking is the least important attribute.)

I agree that Marth probably deserves a higher spot, and I've updated the list to reflect this. I went ahead and put in the three unlisted ones in the best place I could, as well as a little restructuring for some that I think I might have messed up on initially.

As for the second part, I see where you're coming from with it but those attributes aren't so much a box you check off as like a wide range of ability you can have. Sonic CAN put damage on pretty well, but not in an unbelievably effective way. Sonic's recovery however is a strong contender for best in the game (press side-b to not die) too. BUT his kill power is absolutely pitiful. His gimping game isn't anything special and almost always trumped by the amazing recovery you see in minus, and his actual kill moves come out slowly and break his flow for fighting. When you look at Ness, his recovery is pretty bad but its not like you're 100% dead every time you get off stage. You'll still make it back a lot of the time, just not enough for it to not be a liability (not to mention how defenseless you are while positioning it).

WastedCrits

I agree that Marth probably deserves a higher spot, and I've updated the list to reflect this. I went ahead and put in the three unlisted ones in the best place I could, as well as a little restructuring for some that I think I might have messed up on initially.

As for the second part, I see where you're coming from with it but those attributes aren't so much a box you check off as like a wide range of ability you can have. Sonic CAN put damage on pretty well, but not in an unbelievably effective way. Sonic's recovery however is a strong contender for best in the game (press side-b to not die) too. BUT his kill power is absolutely pitiful. His gimping game isn't anything special and almost always trumped by the amazing recovery you see in minus, and his actual kill moves come out slowly and break his flow for fighting. When you look at Ness, his recovery is pretty bad but its not like you're 100% dead every time you get off stage. You'll still make it back a lot of the time, just not enough for it to not be a liability (not to mention how defenseless you are while positioning it).
Yes, I see. I didn't mean to imply the balance of characters is as simplistic as I put it, just that for a quick and rough look at characters, those are some of the most important things to look for. I think we've also hit the nail on the head as to why Sonic is rather tiresome to play as and against: His amazing recovery and abysmal kill power combine such that both you and your opponent live to 120-150%+ every stock, making things much more drawn out and boring. I haven't got a timeout yet, but the majority of matches last well over five minutes, usually closer to six.

Thor

Speed up Sonic's bair and give it extra kb already - he should be practically lightning roundhouse kicking with that move - a hedgehog that fast should be able to bair extremely fast (I think it's like frame 13 in vBrawl... speed this sucker up to at least frame 8 please).

I also vote his fsmash for frame 9 uncharged [I believe it's frame 18 in vBrawl].

Maybe it's not the thread but I think a speed boost of this kind for Sonic makes sense for him (he's fast in lots of stuff) and also helps reduce his KO issues somewhat.

Also: Gold_TSG said...

MK was more a "pick this character to win" in vBrawl, since he required almost no skill to play well, had amazing damage, kill power, mobility, comboability, grabs, air game and priority. Here in Minus, he's trickier to use because a lot of that was taken away in favor of making him more technical and risky, so you actually feel accomplished in earning each kill rather than gimping every character so easily you might as well be fighting a child.

MK still feels less satisfying than in vBrawl... he had nice uair strings that he just doesn't seem to have anymore. He feels much more chase-dependent, and while nado and drill rush means he has the tools to stay on people, landing uair just doesn't feel rewarding anymore (in his old build it did 6% so it was rewarding, now it just feels... eh). Also fsmash has a crapload of endlag and I miss dsmash sending in opposite directions if hitting on opposite sides, although that's possibly just a nostalgia thing... now it feels like his best option is almost always grab or nado -> stuff (though admittedly, his grab game is fantastic - bthrow and dthrow are awesome, uthrow = Metacide, and fthrow adds items and has a solid trajectory). His gimp game, while the best in Brawl, still wasn't unbeatable really, and now it feels almost non-existent.

Gold_TSG

Could he benefit from slight buffs or tweaks? Yes, but so long as it doesn't push him too far into his old territory.

As for the gimp game comment, it wasn't 100% unbeatable, no, but 95% of the time, he killed you.