Brawl Minus @ Smash in the Woods

Valravn

Are you in the pacific northwest? I've decided to start running a Brawl Minus round robin at our weekly smash tournament in Olympia. (At The Evergreen State College.) Let me know if you want to come. It happens each Friday from 4-10.

NEWB

lol not happening. I'm socal and don't kniw geography like all the rest of the cool kids. I seriously don't know where anything is.

Good to know if I am ever in Washington though.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
I live in pretty much the opposite side of the country so I won't be attending, but good luck with the tourney! If you need any help with anything just ask and we'd love to hear any feedback you get.

Valravn

So far, we've run Brawl Minus at the last two tournaments. People have enjoyed it, but for the next one we definitely plan to establish a stage list for neutrals and counterpicks. If anyone has input on that, I'd love to hear it. I'm going to be doing some narrowing-down for this afternoon's stream. (Probably with a goal of 7 neutrals + 7 counterpicks, maybe more or less.)

Thor

Smashville, Pokémon Stadium 2, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Final Destination, Battlefield is 5 good starters. If you really want two more, Lylat Cruise and Yoshi's Island Melee maybe?

If so, striking should be 1-1-1-2-1, where P1 strikes 1, P2 strikes 1, P1 strikes 1, P2 strikes 2, and P1 strikes 1 last stage.

Counterpicks: If 5 starters, any stages above that aren't starters should be CPs. Also, Fountain of Dreams, Green Hill Zone, Lavendar Town, Pokémon Stadium, Skyworld is my recommendation. 3 bans is probably good. [Temple, Halberd, Rumble Falls, and Warioware are also all options.]

Valravn

For the Project M tournament we usually do 1-2-2-1 bans on the 7 starters, then 3 bans out of the 14 total counterpick stages. That's the kind of thing I want to mirror, mostly for consistency.

I'll probably keep FD as a counterpick, the lack of platform options makes some matchups completely absurd. Tech-chasing characters have a large advantage, since there isn't much of a platform game, and you can't escape to a platform.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Smashville, Pokémon Stadium 2, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Final Destination, Battlefield is 5 good starters. If you really want two more, Lylat Cruise and Yoshi's Island Melee maybe?

If so, striking should be 1-1-1-2-1, where P1 strikes 1, P2 strikes 1, P1 strikes 1, P2 strikes 2, and P1 strikes 1 last stage.

Counterpicks: If 5 starters, any stages above that aren't starters should be CPs. Also, Fountain of Dreams, Green Hill Zone, Lavendar Town, Pokémon Stadium, Skyworld is my recommendation. 3 bans is probably good. [Temple, Halberd, Rumble Falls, and Warioware are also all options.]
I honestly don't like Stadium 1 or Lavender town. Warioware should definitely be a counterpick and Yoshi's Melee is also an option.

Valravn

I really like Lavender Town as a counterpick, it's one of the most well-made custom stages I've ever seen.

Valravn

It's super easy for walljumps, and pretty much anyone can take to the air and be fine. I'd certainly ban it as Bowser. It's better than Port Town Aero Drive, at the least. (What with the cars.)