Brawl Minus MAX 1.01 is HERE!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
BRAWL MINUS MAX 1.01

First off, let me start by saying HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY <3!, and I hope you all have a very lovely day!

Now, for our valentine's gift to you, we give you our balance patch, determined by feedback from all of you, the players, who have been posting on these forums! No longer will Metal Mario be as easy to get or will Double Team be as abusable, and that ROB Laser? We changed that up too. But where there were a few needed nerfs, we've given some much needed buffs to those that have needed them to give them the extra edge in battle. Staying true to Brawl Minus style, this update contains many more buffs than there are nerfs! We hope that you enjoy the adjustments we've made to everyone, as we believe these changes will make for a much better game!

Download Links:

Full Version (For those wanting to start again from scratch, or are starting Minus for their first time)

Hackless (For those just starting to enter the world of Brawl Mods)

Quick Patch (For those who have played Brawl Minus MAX 1.0 previously)

Changelog:
Mario
Metal Mario start-up taunt takes longer to complete
Firebrand can now cancel into other moves on-hit

Luigi
Thunderhand's damage has been increased by 1%, and comes out much faster
Stage friction has been slightly decreased

Peach
Increased the Base KnockBack of fThrow
Peach's Parasol is now her special friend, Parry! this is an entirely aesthetic change, all of the move's properties remain the same. In addition, due to cBliss being included in our next release and changing up some of her costumes, Parry is currently only on Peach's default color.
Parasol descent animation changed to not spin so Parry's face is always visible.
Heart gfx have been added to her dThrow animation.

Link
fTilt total damage has been reduced to 20% from 37% (7% on the first hit, 13 on the second.)
Mortal Draw start-up slightly increased

Zelda/Shiek
DownB Transformation startup animation can now be cancelled into A attacks. This was put in incase someone used the move on accident and didn't want to change.

Shiek
Increased KBG of fTilt

Ice Climbers
Slightly Increased the height gained on Solo Belay.

R.O.B.
Arm Rotor will now only gain momentum once in the air. Using it multiple times will be like using it in the air in vBrawl
The Knockback angle on his nAir has been adjusted
Fully charged Laser stun drastically reduced.
Full charged Laser knockback has been adjusted
The time for ROB to ready a fully charged laser has been increased from 10 seconds to 15 seconds.

Kirby
uThrow knockback has been increased.

Lucario
Grounded Force Palm now only do the cool invisithrow visuals after 75%. This change is purely aesthetic, but emphasizes the power of Aura.
Double Team now has a short start-up animation before going into the attack until 75%.
Super Taunt is now allowed to be used until 75%
Down Taunt self damage increased from 10% to 15%
Lucario now damages himself when charging a fully charged aura sphere.

Falco
Give reflector hitboxes on the way out, and now sends foes forwards at an upward angle.

Captain Falcon
Side B projectile immunity starts 5 frames earlier.

ZSS
D-air bounces off opponents if you press A -anytime- after the move has hit, assuming the animation hasn't ended. This counts if you hold it as well. The bounce has a light multi-hit hitbox that drags opponents with you.

Side-B: light eleftric hit if you hold B; pulls in-up. This was already in 2.6, however the angle was changed a tad, so it doesn't combo into itself as easily. Also changed from fire to electric, because electric
Initial hit on side B remains for 2 frames longer

down-B
-down-B: If you're in the middle of her kick when you land, jump (8 frame window) to do the "flip thingy"
Overall flipkick lag reduced
-flipkick only activates if you press A (or Z).
Flipstool hitboxes now carry opponents with you.
Hitboxes link better
Endlag reduced

Uthrow is now jump cancellable, if it wasn't already.

Toon Link
Arrow Hitbox size increased slightly. It seemed as if some characters were still able to walk over his arrows without any harm. This should no longer be the case.

Wolf
Fsmash should now be able to connect to the final hit better.

Diddy
"Smash" monkey-flip momentum increased slightly
Flip kick is now cancelable into A moves or footstool on-hit
monkey flip grab box extended by 4 frames,
Initial footstool height decreased drastically
Peanut popgun charge damage increase

Dokney Kong
Up-B vertical height increased slightly
Side B carries a bit more momentum
Down-B glitch changed- no longer freezes, but he can keep the barrel floating with him 5eva, or until he does another down-B/zdrop's it.
FS buffed

Hope you have a lovely day!

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Finally! Can't wait to try this out.

My thoughts after reading the changelist:

- YES, Metal Mario nerfed! I hope it takes a long time to put on that cap now.
- I expected Peach to get powered up more.
- I'm glad Zelda didn't get nerfed. Nice change to her Down-B.
- I was hoping ROB's Gyros would be made to bounce off shields instead of disappearing, and its Side-B made to not reflect anymore.
- A startup delay on Lucario's Down-B? Awesome! It was way too safe before.
- Thanks for the small buff to Falcon's Side B. I was hoping Side Taunt would get buffed enough to be useful, too...
- Glad to see ZSS finally get some buffs. Now if only her tethers would autotarget ledges only if B was tapped/held...
- Toon Link still won't be as good as regular Link...
- DK got buffs? Jeez, he was deadly enough before! Good job fixing the barrel glitch. What causes it?
- No Snake changes? Aww, I was hoping for two new taunts, F-Smash changes, and no walljump after Cypher.
- I was expecting Ike to be changed because of the "Prepare Yourself" clue. Not complaining, though.
- Kinda hoped to see Ivysaur addressed somehow too. That Up-Air has a HUGE hitbox, and aerial Down-B owns ledges...
- I think Sonic and Samus still need buffs, while Jigglypuff needs nerfs.
- I still wish Wario wasn't all about farts. A Wario Land-based moveset would be better. His bike isn't very useful, either.
- No upgrades on the CPU AI yet? I figured that would take a while. I'm very happy it's being worked on!

As always, THANKS to the Minus Team for all their efforts! Happy Valentine's Day.

Lightning

Ikesexual
Awesomeness! Can't wait to try this out! :mrgreen:
Thank you!

Smilindeth

Happy with each of the changes, but not familiar with the DK glitch.

Still wish Bowser and Jiggly got changes (below 0% leads to stupid things and can barely be punished), but will probably compensate by learning to change Jiggs and pull 2.X Bowser in.

samus! samus. samus.. samus...

oh well. next time, hopefully..

anyway, can't wait to see these changes in action.

NEWB

Why do you guys think bowser needs nerfs? He is not even placed well on the tier list, so direct atention where it is more needed, yeah? There isn't anything that is too good about bowser that overcompensates for his sheer fattiness. None that I've found.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
NEWB said:
Why do you guys think bowser needs nerfs?
There's only two things I want to see done to Bowser:

- Make it so he can't chaingrab easily with his grapple moves.
- Give him back his Fire Breath or a Fireball somehow. Breathing fire is a classic Bowser move.

Only the former is a nerf, and he may not even need it. I only know I played a Bowser online once who grabbed me with Neutral B, threw me, and immediately grabbed me again before I could get free. Maybe I could have escaped, but didn't know which way to DI then? I haven't looked into it much yet.

Queso2469

I have always felt bowser could get a ridiculous amount of damage for an attack which is a moving, super-armored, grab. It's easy to avoid in most circumstances, but most characters, unlike bowser, have to combo to do ~60 damage. A well timed walk is unshieldable, difficult to dodge, and hard to punish effectively because you can't get too close. I'm not a great player, and I actually think he's decently balanced. I just don't think playing as him, or against him, is a lot of fun right now.

NEWB

I'm sure you have to DI. None of bowsers neutral bs chain grab. His sideb used to, but doesn't really anymore. Also, bowser is like Ganon in that he has few combos. The only ones I know are out of dair, fast fall Nair, utilt, and some of his throws. I think he only has like one long combo that I still haven't figured out yet, but that only works at low percents, and that is not many combos. As soon as it's not fun for the foe to play against bowser, it is not fun to play bowser cuz that is when he gets 60 percent as you said.

Needs fire definatly!

Also bent, they consider the things we suggest, but their views are different from ours on some moves. I don't actually expect to see several of those things done.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
NEWB said:
Also bent, they consider the things we suggest, but their views are different from ours on some moves. I don't actually expect to see several of those things done.
How do you know? I rarely see any of the Minus Dev Team post much anymore. Is there some secret board where they discuss Minus? I feel like I'm talking to the dark, just posting my thoughts without knowing if the devs ever read them.

I know they won't agree with much of the changes I suggest, but it's better to voice my opinion than not -- a few of the things I've suggested have been implemented, after all.

As much time as I spend on the Minus boards and playing Minus itself, I think I could be useful to the team as a tester or something. I'd like to know what the devs are talking about...

NEWB

So would I. I only know that they previously seemed set on not buffing the side taunt. I don't know about anything else. We are all in the same boat when it comes to having got suggestions implemented. I wish that we could here from someone like thunda, but he is busy now. We still don't really know who the minus team is.

NEWB

What have you done to luigi's nuetral b? It used to be very useful for his air to ground game but now I'm not sure how it's used! I'll practice with it more, but I like it less as is so far.

Smilindeth

NEWB said:
Why do you guys think bowser needs nerfs? He is not even placed well on the tier list, so direct atention where it is more needed, yeah? There isn't anything that is too good about bowser that overcompensates for his sheer fattiness. None that I've found.

Free for alls.

That alone should sum it up, but in case it doesn't, his armor extends into the throw animations for his Neutral-B, which means he does 35% to someone in 1-2 seconds, then if anyone is nearby attempting to hit him or gets knocked into the area, he gets another immediate grab that does 35%, and there is nothing anyone can do. The 2.X version of it he had little or no armor on it when he was in the middle of the throw animation so people could save each other (or not), and someone could pull off a skilled throw of an item to get themselves out (Turnip up, bomb, barrel, etc.), but the current Bowser is godly in his armor.

Never seen him chain it on the same opponent, so no complaints on that. Easy to dodge in 1v1s, but not in groups. Removing or reducing armor in the throw animations would barely hurt him in 1v1s, but would put him into a tolerable state for group matches.

NEWB

But..... Then he couldn't even use his new throws in FFAs. Bowser pretty much sucks in FFAs if he loses the armor. And quite frankly, if you really want to just double or triple team the bowser, cuz that's apparently fair to you, then you all can easily approach in the air immediately after he throws someone and punish him.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Bent 00 said:
NEWB said:
How do you know? I rarely see any of the Minus Dev Team post much anymore. Is there some secret board where they discuss Minus? I feel like I'm talking to the dark, just posting my thoughts without knowing if the devs ever read them.

I know they won't agree with much of the changes I suggest, but it's better to voice my opinion than not -- a few of the things I've suggested have been implemented, after all.

As much time as I spend on the Minus boards and playing Minus itself, I think I could be useful to the team as a tester or something. I'd like to know what the devs are talking about...

NEWB said:
But..... Then he couldn't even use his new throws in FFAs. Bowser pretty much sucks in FFAs if he loses the armor. And quite frankly, if you really want to just double or triple team the bowser, cuz that's apparently fair to you, then you all can easily approach in the air immediately after he throws someone and punish him.

i promise we read the things you say. your not just talking into the dark. but just like newb said, you can't expect us to have the same opinions on moves as you do. Nevertheless, please continue to express your opinions on the state of the game and whatnot. who knows, maybe your idea or suggestions could make a huge impact on the game. you never know~ :D

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
So would I. I only know that they previously seemed set on not buffing the side taunt. I don't know about anything else. We are all in the same boat when it comes to having got suggestions implemented. I wish that we could here from someone like thunda, but he is busy now. We still don't really know who the minus team is.

I actually just figured this out today, but there is a link on the bottom of every page that says "The team", and that should tell you who the dev team is.

We assure you that we read pretty much every single forum post, and that a lot of the reasons key changes weren't implemented this update (IE Samus, Ike's charge system), is because of two reasons: This update's focus on balance, and being a warm-up for the dev team as we prepare even more surprises for you guys to enjoy.

NEWB

Glad to hear that.

That tab only tells us the admins and mods. They don't reflect who is actually working on brawl minus. I mean several of them are involves, but thunda doesn't show up for instance.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I would like to see a "Staff Credits" at some point, if only to know who to be grateful to for making Minus.

Just curious, how is the Team doing? Got enough help? I heard the Project M Team is exhausted from work on 3.0...

Also, Sammi, I didn't know you were part of the dev team until recently. What do you work on, in general? CPU AI?

Game development fascinates me. :)

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
We plan on having staff credits at some point, and not just covering MAX, but those who have worked on Brawl Minus all throughout the years from Minus 0.6-MAX 1.1.

Dev team is actually ready to roll on this next update, and we're making sure to put extra focus on quality. There were some things we looked at that we considered releasing today, but held back on because we didn't feel like they were truly the best they could be, and will thus be included in the next update, which we are already starting to work on.

If there is one thing anyone can do to help Minus right now, it's spread the word! Make Brawl Minus a mod everyone can know and enjoy!

NEWB

One thing I notice is that Mario's metal cap taunt now looks unnatural hell. You guys need to slow it down a more natural way.

Also, can Mario get his entry from super Mario 64 over hic current? Where he falls from the sky while doing a bunch of aerial flips/rolls and sticks the landing.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I agree Mario's slower side taunt looks a bit unnatural, but I'm rather have it this way than the way it was before.

What does anyone think about the invisibility effect in Brawl? I think a Cloaking Device would be a cool new taunt for Snake. Invisibility could only last until he's hit, and the player tag would still be there.

An alternate setup for Mario's side taunt could be that, instead of slowing down the Metal Cap startup, the Vanish Cap (Super Mario 64) and Bunny Hood (Super Mario Land 2) could be added to the mix, in order or at random. Just an idea.

Pin Clock said:
If there is one thing anyone can do to help Minus right now, it's spread the word! Make Brawl Minus a mod everyone can know and enjoy!
That I do, whenever I get the chance! I estimate I've introduced Minus to at least 20 people so far.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
ooo that sounds kinda cool. having the taunt randomly choose between metal, bunny, and invisible. it still retains it's easter egg like properties, but would be hard to abuse. Though it does kinda take away from the actual usefulness of the move as a whole.

NEWB

First of all, they would have to speed the taunt back up. Then you can't stack effects of that taunt.

I think I'm more interested in just keeping the metal though. Mario has many powers, but they would all mesh with his moveset. I'd rather they figured out how to turn Mario's cap into the metal cap before he puts it on.... When I brought up lucario becoming mega lucario, didn't someone say something about custom parts that will only show when x is done. Can't that be fiddled with?