A Guide to Minus Terminology

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Ever wonder what the official names for the new moves introduced in Brawl Minus are? Ever wonder what these strange terms used by the community are? Well this is the thread to find out!

The terms are organized by the character that utilizes them.

Non-specific
Crouchdashing - The ability to cancel a dash or run into a crouch and still have mobility. Depending on the character, this can also allow for a sliding dTilt.

Mario
FireBrand - Mario's ability from the Mario and Luigi games. When going to shoot a fireball, hold B to do this move instead. It can cancel into other attacks on-hit.
Metal Mario - Mario's side taunt gives him the metal cap upon completion. Since the taunt is so synonymous with Metal Mario, it may as well be the Metal Mario Taunt.

Luigi
ThunderBrand - Luigi's ability from the Mario and Luigi games. When going to shoot a fireball, hold B to do this move instead. It is a strong move that can potentially kill foes.

Bowser
Royal Rampage - Bowser's new NeutralB on the ground. A very strong march surrounded by flame that cannot be interrupted by opposing attacks until Bowser stops. Should he connect with a foe, he will be able to do any of four unique throws.
Galactic Crusher - Bowser's new NeutralB in the air. Bowser spins around (with heavy armor), and if he grabs a foe, he will do a strong suplex slam on the ground with an explosive finish.

DK
Barrels - By holding DownB, Donkey Kong can pull these out. What you do with them is self-explanatory.

Yoshi
YOSHIFOOT - What happens when Yoshi hits the foe with the last few frames of his neutral air. Yoshi will attack the foe with compound happiness, shouting a proud "YOSHI!" before making the foe be blown back by how happy Yoshi is.

Wario
Fart boosts - By pressing A during various moves, Wario can extend the range he goes by farting. He can fart to fly around too.
Crate-stipation - Wario's new fully charged DownB. Wario can now pull out a rolling crate, and ride around on it for happy funtimes.

Link
Jump Strike - The name of Link's new fSmash, taken straight from Twilight Princess. Very fast and strong.
Back Slice - From Twilight Princess, Link can use this move when pressing A from a forward roll to slash his foes. Very defensive reversal.
Ending Blow - From Skyward Sword, a very strong attack that propels Link forwards. It can be performed by pressing B while performing a Jump Strike.
Helm Splitter - A move from Twilight Princess that isn't yet in Minus, but is in the process of being added by request.
Mortal Draw - Link's taunt kill technique, and the strongest of his new moves. Hold A while performing the UpTaunt, and Link will pause before putting his sword away. Release A to unleash a powerful slash that will kill anyone unfortunate enough to be in its path.

Zelda
Teleport - By pressing A after hitting with any one of Zelda's ranged hitboxes, Zelda can teleport to that location to potentially continue a combo.
Magic Dragons - The name of Zelda's fTilt attack, which can send out a long ray of magic. By changing the direction of the tilt, you can change which dircetion the "Dragons" go.

Ganondorf
Satan Punch - Also known as the Warlock Punch. In Minus, this does 666 damage and kills anyone who is hit.
Gandouken - Ganon's special projectile friend. When Holding B while doing the Warlock Punch, you can launch this devastating attack to entrap foes with the power of Ganon's gigantic suns.

Toon Link
Trap Arrows - Toon Link's Arrows stay on the ground if they miss, hurting foes who run into them. Comes in Fire, Ice, and Light varieties.
Hurricane Spin - Toon Link can move around during his grounded UpB, like in Wind Waker.

Samus
Ice Missiles - The name of older build's versions of Super Missiles in Minus. in 1.6, they froze foes on contact, while in 2.6, they gave out a huge amount of shield pressure. Don't expect them in 3.6.
Ice Beam - Samus' non-charge shot, stuns foes on contact.
Screw fAir - Samus' current fAir, which is a screw attack that propels her forwards.
Powerbombs - Samus' new bombs, which have a huge start up and a huge explosion.

ZSS
Bounce - Hold A while hitting with a dAir to bounce you and the foe upwards~!

Ice Climbers
SoNa - An ability in an older build of Minus to play as just Nana by holding R on the CSS. Didn't really have much of a purpose or use, unless you wanted to handicap yourself.

R.O.B.
ROBDash - R.O.B. using his dAir towards the ground to gain additional momentum
GlitchBoost - Rob teleporting across the screen by using his SideB and immediately canceling into a bAir.
MultiLaser - R.O.B.'s former ability to shoot out multiple lasers at a time. Used to be a great way to lose friends.

Kirby
Burning - Kirby's Melee Dash Attack. Hold A while starting a dash attack.
Slide - A sliding crouch attack that can pop foes up on contact. To perform it, crouch and rapidly press A, or crouch and press down on the cStick.

King Dedede
DDDecree - Dedede's new NeutralB. By pressing B and then pressing a direction, you can command our Waddle-Dees and Doos. Play around with it and see what you can make 'em doo!

Olimar
MiniMar - The name of the Olimar build in 1.6, where Olimar was, well, tiny. All the time.
Solimar - the name of the Olimar Build in 2.0 Where Olimar became a low range, high powered character without Pikmin
Lazy Olimar - The name of the Olimar build in 2.x.6, in which Olimar's Pikmin stayed in one spot unless olimar gave them commands, such as "USMASH TO THE MOON!"
CombOlimar - The name of the current Olimar build, which has a bigger focus on combos.
Self Toss - introduced in the Solimar Build, Olimar flips forwards in the air, giving him loads of forwards momentum, bumping out any foes in his path. In the Solimar build he could only use it without Pikmin, but CombOlimar can use it all the time.
Self Pluck Olimar can use Pikmin Pluck while he has 6 Pikmin in the air to gain a small boost of height.

Fox
Melee Dodge - By airdodging and pressing a direction, fox can airdodge like in Melee. Because of this he can...
Wave Dash - THAT THING YOU DID IN MELEE BY AIRDODGING DIAGONALLY TOWARDS THE GROUND! IT'S BACK!

Falco
Bird Falco - The name of a Beta Falco Build that floated like a butterfly....and dropped like a rock.
PERSONALLY - I prefer the FIRE!

Wolf
WolfDodge - The ability to cancel Wolf's SideB into a Melee Dodge. This allows him to...
WolfDash - Like Wavedashing, but with Wolf.

Captain Falcon
Punch Charge - By doing the Super Taunt Input (uTaunt dTaunt uTaunt), Captain Falcon will say SHOW SHOW SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!, while crouching and surrounding himself in fire, indicating he can now do a...
PAWNCH! The charged Falcon Punch, with little start-up, is a strong single hit.

Pikachu
Pikacopter - The name for Pikachu's bAir, it lets Pikachu move around! Wheeee!

Squirtle
Icy Wind - Squirtle's uncharged NeutralB. It freezes foes at a close range!
Aqua Jet - Squirtle's DownB in the air, it shoots out a jet of water!

Ivysaur
IvyCopter - The term used for when Ivysaur is using the height and momentum from Bullet Seed to recover.
Critical Hit! - A stronger version of Razor Leaf that shoots out randomly. Subject to change.
Leaf Storm - Ivysaur's DownB in the air, Ivysaur unleashes a flurry of leaves to make a powerful edgegaurding tool.

Charizard
Stealth Rock - A new addition to Rock Smash, the rock fragments stay in place until the foe hits them or Charizard uses the move again.
Instaglide - Charizard's DownB in the air, it lifts him up a little and lets him glide.

Lucario
ULTRATAUNT - Lucario's Super Taunt input, that unleashes a strong field of aura as he brings himself to 300 damage. Scary. Cannot be used over 75%
Close Combat - Lucario's SideB over 75% on the ground. Lucario vanishes and unleashes a flurry of attacks!

Jigglypuff
Thunderpunch - The last few frames of Pound, which hits really hard and really far.
Gravity - At the end of Jigglypuff's side taunt, the gravity around her increases rapidly, bringing foes down to the ground or their doom!

Ike
No Sympathy Mode - NS Mode for short, the mode Ike enters upon gaining a fully charged eruption. A lot of his attacks become much more powerful, and he can use the powerful...
CountEruption - Counter's ability to cancel into Eruption in NS mode. really powerful. Like, really really powerful. No joke.

Ness
Bat Mode - Gained by pressing A during side taunt, gives Ness access to a series of new moves!

Snake
Telefrag - By pressing A+B and a direction, Snake can warp a grenade in almost any place he desires.

Sonic
MODARN SANIC - The name of Sonic's current build, reflecting on his abilities from modern Sonic games.
Boost - Sonic's new SideB, it allows him to move across the stage at super speeds and tear the Subspace Emissary a new one.
Bounce Attack - By pressing down while charging up a Homing Attack, Sonic can do the Bounce Attack from Sonic Adventure 2. Just be careful about doing it off-stage!
YOUR - YOUR - YOUR - YOUR- YOUR - YOU'RE TOO SLOW!

Hope you enjoyed this refresher course in Brawl Minus! See you around!

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
don't forget jiggly's self-destruct/explosion: when her shield breaks, it explodes, killing herself upward and dealing a lethal blast that kills opponents at close range, but diminishes in strength depending on distance from jiggly...

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I wish Metal Mario was gone, and that Sonic's Boost wouldn't instantly destroy the destructible stage elements in normal, non-SSE levels.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i wish some normal stages had the options of having SSE minions :3 atleast koopas and goombas on mushroomy kingdom would be cool... maybe as an alt thing, like holding R or L, or something like that :p ...then again that probably belongs on a different thread :/

NEWB

Links move is called the back slice, not rolling slash. And is sheild bash being put in with helm splitter? Doesn't make sense without it.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i'll try not to propose too many changes out of place either :p ..haha, and this is definitely a great start to helping new-comers become more familiar with brawl minus :) great job, Pin!

NEWB

I'll double check, but I'm also pretty sure it's called the ending blow, not finishing blow.

NEWB

Note that the self pluck can only be done once per airtime.

I thought we were calling the current olimar build combolimar. Was that only for beta?

Maybe include transferable brawl techniques as well here? I know I'm still fuzzy on the things that can be done in brawl.

Dacus and who can do it, shellshifting, koopahop, etc. we have new players coming to minus that are less familiar to brawl and should know these advanced techniques. Also Tybis pointed crouch dashing and maybe techrolling off ledges is worth mentioning?

NEWB

Also it IS called the ending blow, not finishing blow.

May as well call links grounded upb the Great Spin when charged.

Jump strike is also from TP. Was that in Skyward Sword too?

Don't forget to mention that wolf can cancel side b into a melee air dodge, and that he uses this to wavedash, but we called it the wolf dash since it uses a different input then just dodging to the ground.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
Also it IS called the ending blow, not finishing blow.

May as well call links grounded upb the Great Spin when charged.

Jump strike is also from TP. Was that in Skyward Sword too?

Don't forget to mention that wolf can cancel side b into a melee air dodge, and that he uses this to wavedash, but we called it the wolf dash since it uses a different input then just dodging to the ground.

I corrected Ending Blow, changed OliMAX into CombOlimar as it should be, and added Wolf's terms. Great Spin is simply over-naming things, which is bad for newcomers as they should only have terms for the necessary things or if a term has enough of a fan following to become necessary.

Please note that this list will not contain things that were also in vBrawl such as Koopahopping and Shellshifting.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
Do we have a name for ganon's new up tilt? And I think the crawl dash is worth mentioning, even if it's relatively new and supposedly in vbrawl

NEWB

It's not really a new move since it looks exactly the same. Only thing is that it got a bigger hitbox. I actually think that they should add an animation that makes look like it hits grounded foes. As is, it looks kinda dumb to me now. There needs to be some kind of shockwave.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
NEWB said:
It's not really a new move since it looks exactly the same. Only thing is that it got a bigger hitbox. I actually think that they should add an animation that makes look like it hits grounded foes. As is, it looks kinda dumb to me now. There needs to be some kind of shockwave.
The shockwave idea sounds cool :D it would definitely help newbies understand how it works :) ...personally I think the shockwave should be a little weaker, but that's out of place here too :p

Smilindeth

Bang! Bang! - Luigi's side taunt of double fire
[unknown name] - TL's up taunt with the wind
Flail? - TL's down(?) taunt that used to be OP

Are there names for Mario and Ganon's armor taunts? (Up on Mario, down on Ganon)
Squirtle's reflection is worth a mention too, assuming it is still on him.

Also, what changes does Ness's bat mode make besides carrying a bat around that vanishes while he is attacking? (Then comes back after)

NEWB

This thread is mostly for either replaced moves or new moves with new inputs. Most taunts aren't new and just do new, often insignificant things. Those are worth mentioning probably, and I'm not the one that made the thread. I just assumed that since no taunts were really pointed at.

Ness' bat mode changes many of his normals.

I don't know if all jabs were changed, but jab1 has more range and spikes. That is amazing btw! Combos with everything!

Ftilt now has more range. Dair is now more immediate then before, but perhaps a stronger spike now. Uair now sends ness and the target up into the air for a combo. Dash attack now hits once, but has long duration. Fair now hits differently in favor of blast off instead of racking up damage.

I think he needs his animations updated to constantly have the bat when necessary.