4.0b Pichu Feedback Thread

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Is it just me, or does Pichu have...
- too many options / cancellable moves,
- too little ending lag / landing lag / openings in defense, and
- too few telegraphed moves?

It feels annoying to fight Pichu because you can't predict what it's going to do very well, and it's hard to punish it because it is so small, and rarely leaves itself open. I think the idea of "Risk VS Reward" is not strong enough in Pichu -- all of it's attacks are good, and there aren't enough drawbacks to them. Too much Reward, not enough Risk.

I still say Pichu should be a character that is challenging to win as. Mid-Tier at best...

Pichu's model still needs work, too.

Mohl

I find it annoying to fight Pichu because of how damn small it is. None of Captain Falcon's attacks work if it's on the ground, and a large amount don't work even if it's standing.

Like, I went over the bastard with my DOWN smash, it's so small. Can't grab the guy unless he's shielding, too.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Now that the Unspecified Error is gone, I can post in here again.

Anyone else have any comments about 4.0b Pichu? I think he's too small, and its model doesn't look enough like Pichu.

Compare these images to see what I mean:

Melee Pichu
Taunts-Melee-Pichu-Left.png

Minus 3.Q Pichu
T7aph1i.jpg

I'm assuming Pichu's model wasn't improved since 3.Q.

As for its size, I think Pichu should be the size it was in Melee:
super+smash+bros+pichu+pikachu+pokemon+stadium+stage+kirby+with+pichu+hat+on+monitor.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Pichu's model will be more polished for 4.0, but we can't alter it too much due to being a clone of Pikachu, and if we edit Pichu's skeleton in the slightest, all of his animations would need to be redone.

Pichu and Pikachu are similar in scale to how they are in Melee, it's just Pikachu is about Olimar's size and Pichu has to be smaller than that, or else Pichu would feel weird.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Olimar should be shrunken down to his official height. Problem solved.

Mariosonicman1

why do i want the olimar size thing to really be a thing that happens? just for an april fools update.

Farkus

Retired
My only issue with pichu is his height, if you could scale him up a bit like you did with bowser, then he would be fine.

Mariosonicman1

My only issue with pichu is his height, if you could scale him up a bit like you did with bowser, then he would be fine.
but then you have the problem that pichu is suddenly the same size as pikachu, which is odd.
and personally. the reason i love pichu is because of how small she is. its not often or at all you get to play a smash character who is pretty small. probably the only way for the hitboxes to be lightly fixed is if the inivisible hitbox was moved up just slightly.

Farkus

Retired
but then you have the problem that pichu is suddenly the same size as pikachu, which is odd.
and personally. the reason i love pichu is because of how small she is. its not often or at all you get to play a smash character who is pretty small. probably the only way for the hitboxes to be lightly fixed is if the inivisible hitbox was moved up just slightly.

The biggest issue is when he runs, because then his hitbox is halved in height.

Mariosonicman1

The biggest issue is when he runs, because then his hitbox is halved in height.
well what if pichus tail raises up when it runs, and that adds to the hitbox to what pichus standing hitbox would be? then we wouldnt have that drastic of a problem would we?

Thor

Pichu being short is part of his brokenness, I thought? Also most of the cast has an amazing dair anyway, so while it makes a lot of them more linear, that's part of the point... Pichu is still stupidly light and easy to combo [outside of his size] as far as I know.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I think we need some reference pics up in here, so everyone can see exactly how small Pichu really is in Minus.

If it were weaker, its size could be more easily forgiven, but Pichu is strong in Minus, no? Too strong to be that hard to hit, IMO.

That said, let's not forget about Pichu's other, equally annoying qualities:
- too many options / cancellable moves,
- too little ending lag / landing lag / openings in defense, and
- too few telegraphed moves / too hard to predict thanks to tap or hold system

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Pichu's height is so dumb that in 3Q, the update where Pichu was regarded as worst in the game, he still had a good matchup against ZSS because the only moves of hers that could hit him consistently were dtilt and downsmash. Running Pichu would constantly go under her paralyzer, sideb, and even her grab. In the most recent update, I had the chance to play Sparky in the tournament and he picked Pichu. The only moves on Peach that were safe enough to hit him wher float fair and and bair close to the ground. Peach's grab went straight over his run animation and so did sideb and other staple moves. While you guys did a good job making Pichu fun to play, he is straight up not fun to play against for about half the cast.

Mariosonicman1

this is just me giving out a random idea but.... what if they just gave pichu a weaker shield? being that small shouldnt mean a much more sturdy shield, that way if someone tried to D-tilt a pichu comming in close and she shields, it would do alot of damage and make pichu not want to get to close incase of a shield break, cause really, if pichus shield could easily break, im sure so many people wouldnt have this many problems with her. but because shielding is good, its hard to have a good counter on her.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
this is just me giving out a random idea but.... what if they just gave pichu a weaker shield? being that small shouldnt mean a much more sturdy shield, that way if someone tried to D-tilt a pichu comming in close and she shields, it would do alot of damage and make pichu not want to get to close incase of a shield break, cause really, if pichus shield could easily break, im sure so many people wouldnt have this many problems with her. but because shielding is good, its hard to have a good counter on her.
This is pretty much impossible. Every character is hard coded to have the same shield health, the only thing that changes is the size of the bubble.

Mariosonicman1

unless im mistaken... doesnt jigglypuff have more shield health then other characters in the game? if the shield health isnt an option, make her shield smaller then normal, where she has to use the control stick and move it to block effectively.