4.0b cBliss Alternative

baltarc

I just posted this in another thread about the issue, but I figured I'd put it here to make it more visible since it took me a while to realize the problem. For those unaware, cBliss, the code that expands each character's costume slots to a maximum of 10, doesn't work with Minus as of 4.0b. However:

Not sure why this isn't more widely publicized - I spent the better part of the past few days trying to figure out exactly why cBliss wouldn't work with Minus - but the issue isn't the Minus CSS; rather, cBliss and BrawlEx (which Minus uses to load Roy and Pichu) are simply incompatible. However, it is possible to expand each character to have extra slots using BrawlEx itself, as explained in this tutorial. You need a kc-mm account to view the in-depth explanation, but if you just want to give each character 10 slots it's as simple as putting these files created by the tutorial's author, ShinF, in the appropriate BrawlEx directory and then adding the necessary CSPs/BPs/RSPs/stock icons into the Minus files. As far as I know, ShinF deserves all the credit for figuring this out; just wanted to spread the word since I saw that people here were interested.

Should prove pretty useful to anyone wanting to make a custom build.

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
Can you send me a some bases to work off of? As in, a common5.pac and some RSPs and BPs?
I sort of got it to work, but the MinimaLauncher takes a real long time, and the game silent freezes at the results screen.

Last edited:

baltarc

I started off with the files in cBliss 1.5. The download includes expanded CSPs, RSPs, BPs, and stock icons for each character. Note that the CSPs are stored in menu2/sc_selcharacter.pac rather than system/common5.pac, so unless you want to use sc_selcharacter instead of common5 in your build* you'll have to make the necessary changes in common5 also. To my knowledge, the easiest way to do this is to export char_bus_tex_lz77 from sc_selcharacter and replace the one in common5, making sure to add Pichu and Roy's MiscData[#] archives back in afterwards.

*Filesize limits may force you to do this anyway, depending on how many skins you're putting in.
E: As I mentioned below, you'd actually still have to replace the files in common5 first to keep the CSS intact.

Last edited:

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
I started off with the files in cBliss 1.5. The download includes expanded CSPs, RSPs, BPs, and stock icons for each character. Note that the CSPs are stored in menu2/sc_selcharacter.pac rather than system/common5.pac, so unless you want to use sc_selcharacter instead of common5 in your build* you'll have to make the necessary changes in common5 also. To my knowledge, the easiest way to do this is to export char_bus_tex_lz77 from sc_selcharacter and replace the one in common5, making sure to add Pichu and Roy's MiscData[#] archives back in afterwards.

*Filesize limits may force you to do this anyway, depending on how many skins you're putting in.
After reading this, I was reminded of how Project M migrated everything to sc_selcharacter in v3.6. When that happened, common5 had nothing except null_pac or something. So, If I send all my CSPs to sc_selcharacter, what do I do with common5? My build no longer freezes, so now I'm working on stages, but I would love to know how to do things more efficiently.

baltarc

From what I understand, the files in menu2 override whatever's in common5. So if you have sc_selcharacter in menu2, you can delete sc_selcharacter_en from common5 without issues. I believe the same is true of sc_selcharacter2 and sc_selmap, but I haven't tested either of those personally.

baltarc

I think so? Actually, you can probably delete sc_selmap_en and sc_selcharacter2_en without exporting since vanilla Minus already has the corresponding files in menu2.

Also, important note that may not be relevant at this point but I forgot to mention: sc_selcharacter contains graphical information about the CSS (colors, backgrounds, etc), so even when starting from scratch with the cBliss portraits I linked to you'd need to replace char_bus_tex_lz77 in Minus's common5 and then export that file's sc_selcharacter to ensure that the Minus CSS stays intact (rather than simply using the provided sc_selcharacter).