[27.02] X Series for Minus - Chapter 2: Youmu

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
tjygue.png

We're back.

I was very impressed with the previous tournament compared to Flash 2. It wasn't nearly as large, but it wasn't abandoned either.

... yeah that's all I got. I'm not good with introductions. TIME TO SHOVE RULES DOWN YOUR THROAT! jk

Basic rules:
  • 4 stocks
  • 7 minutes
  • No items
  • Dave's Stupid Ass Rule (DSAR): You can't pick a stage you won on in the set
  • Modified X Rule: Top 8 matches are streamed. Players can request a live or recorded set.
  • Kyoz-Lunary Addendum: If set is recorded, replays must be saved. Failure to do so will result in a redo of the set.
  • Bullshit Rule: In the event the match is redone, players cannot simply SD to save a replay for the match. This will result in a disqualification as well as a month ban for both players.
  • This rule does not apply if there is no livestreamer.
  • Sets are best of 3 games, winners, losers, and grand finals are best of 5. Salty Suites are best of 7 unless specified otherwise.
  • Game 1 characters are double-blind. After game 1, the loser of the previous game announces the stage choice, the winner announces a character counterpick if desired.
  • f a desync occurs, the match is replayed. If continuous desyncs occur, the player with the most stocks and least percent wins. If there is a discrepancy, it's the TO's decision.
  • If timeout occurs, the player with most stocks/least percent wins. If there's same stocks and percent, see me.
  • If a player uses a suicide move to take both players' last stocks, the initiator loses the game.
  • Stalling is banned. This should be pretty self-expanatory.
  • Gentleman's Clause is allowed. All rules can be thrown out the window if both players agree.

Stage Legality
3 Stage Bans in the counterpicking process
Starter:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Spear Pillar
  • Lavander Town
  • Castle Siege
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Warioware

Can the streak continue?
_____

Bracket: http://x-series.challonge.com/youmu_m
Time: 27 February 2016, 12:47 PST [GMT-08]
Congregation: irc.stormbit.net #brawlminus

Full details on bracket page.

Doqtor Kirby

Minus Backroom
Results and whatnot:

Super Smash Flash 2:
jyqwis.png
Styles
jyqwis.png
AxeEnding999
yqhirq.png
RemPrower
yqhirq.png
NoSkill
yqhirq.png
#TheTOLyfe [Dark Ermac and Doqtor Kirby]
yqhirq.png
Scorp123 and
yqhirq.png
AceDOTA

Brawl Minus:
yqhirq.png
BC
jyqwis.png
Longbottom
yqhirq.png
Darxmarx
yqhirq.png
Farkus

anything wrong lmk

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
That's the smallest turnout for a tournament that I've ever seen.

You gotta advertise these more, Doq.

Doqtor Kirby

Minus Backroom
Nigga, I'm the Canadian one.
y o u s a i d b o t h

actually I did

That's the smallest turnout for a tournament that I've ever seen.

You gotta advertise these more, Doq.
Actually I advertise and push the Brawl Minus event more than I push the Flash 2 one.

You all just aren't dedicated enough. I blame Pin's money

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
Doq... what ever gave you the idea I was Canadian?

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
My name makes me sound Canadian to you? Interesting.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
BC stands for BlackCharmeleon. It's a name I used way back when I played on Pokemon Online. I shortened it to BC for Smash cuz it sounded cool. XD

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Kinda sucked I had to leave in the middle of GFs but that's life I guess. I was up 2-1 against BC in GFs set one when I left and I think I would have won gsme 4 based of the MU and stage. I feel like I should mention that the dev supported events will not be wifi if the turnouts for these continue to be so small.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I feel like I should mention that the dev supported events will not be wifi if the turnouts for these continue to be so small.
That statement just sounds like a lame excuse to not have official WiFi tourneys anymore. :/

It's not fair to compare the turnouts of tourneys with cash prizes to the turnouts of tourneys without cash prizes. Of course you're going to get more participants in a tourney where you can win actual money.

The official tourneys were advertised more -- a little post on Reddit goes a long way -- whereas this tourney was only advertised on this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Doqtor Kirby

Minus Backroom
The official tourneys were advertised more -- a little post on Reddit goes a long way -- whereas this tourney was only advertised on this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Skype, Discord
----
WALL OF TEXT RANT WARNING

It's not fair to compare the turnouts of tourneys with cash prizes to the turnouts of tourneys without cash prizes. Of course you're going to get more participants in a tourney where you can win actual money.
This. This alone is why I've thought of multiple things. Honestly if the devteam wants to monopolize the tournament scene be my guest. I'm going full shots right now: money as an incentive in online events should NEVER happen in any case, except if there is an entry cost, as is the case with any in-person events. The result of doing it that way results in a balance between tournament events with and without cash prizes.

Now look I'm not firing shots at the Minus Dev Team, the same team I'm contributing to. They did nothing wrong except make ganon bad. That said, this skew has happened before. It almost ruined the X Tournament Series for the first time in Smash Flash 2. Additionally from an economic standpoint, it's overall better with an entry cost because, especially for online events, it makes the reward for winning directly better.

Okay I'm done ranting. You can go on with your day.

Last edited:

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
That statement just sounds like a lame excuse to not have official WiFi tourneys anymore. :/

I am a wifi player. I only have it to play. But I am a TO first and it's selfish to hold wifi events when more of the playerbase, at least nearly 5 times as much judging by the last tournament is netplay. If you want dev supported wifi tournaments vote for them in the results page. Show up. Support these tournaments. Not to mention bdot4 had nearly as many wifi players as the paid wifi tournaments.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Skype, Discord
Why didn't you advertise on Reddit? A lot of people would have seen a post on /r/smashbros or /r/minusery.
But I am a TO first and it's selfish to hold wifi events when more of the playerbase, at least nearly 5 times as much judging by the last tournament is netplay. If you want dev supported wifi tournaments vote for them in the results page. Show up. Support these tournaments. Not to mention bdot4 had nearly as many wifi players as the paid wifi tournaments.
- I recall those polls being pretty close. 50/50 last time I checked.
- I would have showed up for this tourney, but it started at a time when I could not be available.
- We had a more active community during the time of the BDOT tourneys.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Now look I'm not firing shots at the Minus Dev Team, the same team I'm contributing to. They did nothing wrong except make ganon bad.
I love how you constantly point out how bad Ganondorf is. Now if only the devs would listen, and do something about it. e_e

Seriously, he and Pichu are the Minus Mascots. Give the man some buffs already.

Doqtor Kirby

Minus Backroom
Why didn't you advertise on Reddit? A lot of people would have seen a post on /r/smashbros or /r/minusery.
I have no reason to. If players want more participants then they can spread the event themselves. It's how the internet (or any communication) works.
I love how you constantly point out how bad Ganondorf is. Now if only the devs would listen, and do something about it. e_e
As the only active Ganondorf main on the dev team you'd think I'd have the most say in the balance of him.