Surprise Announcement! Brawl Minus 3.Q!

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Replace the boot.elf in the root with MinimaLauncher's boot.elf, then load stacksmash.

NEWB

Have you been reading around the threads? There are very good cases against him that easily trump vague statements like that. I also don't think he is OP, but he has almost no counter play and two or three bad matchups. That's a huge problem that lucario suffers from too.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Have you been reading around the threads? There are very good cases against him that easily trump vague statements like that. I also don't think he is OP, but he has almost no counter play and two or three bad matchups. That's a huge problem that lucario suffers from too.
Fox in Melee had ZERO bad matchup a and 3 neutrals I believe and he is still considered not op. After thinking about it however, I think if Glyph would learn how to glidetoss the ROBpocolypse would happen and ROB would probably have no bad matchups for a player that glidetosses the gyros. I'll learn to play him later so I can see though.

Glyph

I already glidetoss a decent amount, its just not as useful as it was in vBrawl because of ROB excelling in other areas.

...is what I would say, if I thought this coming ROB was going to be even remotely usable but instead he's getting the Ivysaur treatment where everything on him gets nerfed very heavily.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I already glidetoss a decent amount, its just not as useful as it was in vBrawl because of ROB excelling in other areas.

...is what I would say, if I thought this coming ROB was going to be even remotely usable but instead he's getting the Ivysaur treatment where everything on him gets nerfed very heavily.
Well shit.
Also NEWB, ROB can be played against and you just have to learn the matchup. Or at least as he is now. I'm so sorry Glyph.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Glyph, If you can hear me, when (not if) I finally beat you, it will be the ROB of your choosing. Whatever build, whatever version of minus.
You're very difficult. This we all know. But I will put your R.O.B down. After this happens, then I'll retire.
Gold, this goes for your R.O.B too, for I have beaten one or two your other characters (somehow???), though not consistently.
I will put R.O.B down. Then I will leave. This is my new calling as a non-competitive Brawl Minus player.

can we nerf rob's reputation? it's not like he can spam his way to victory.

that's a player vs player thing.. a player can overuse a move like shield breaker or side-bs, and that's (mostly) a tactic you can overcome, not unlike the source material.

i just hope the less fortunate characters get a bit more broken.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
And I plan to overcome it. It's a personal challenge. Every Cloud needs a Sephiroth.

NEWB

Well shit.
Also NEWB, ROB can be played against and you just have to learn the matchup. Or at least as he is now. I'm so sorry Glyph.

You do realize that this is speculation, don't you? Glyph is no longer in the back room last I checked. Though he may still get to speak privately with them since, you know, connections.

People have called bull on that matchups suggestion mega, and so do I. I don't want to see across the board nerfs but every move he throws out is a terror. They are all ranged, fast, some being impossible to punish, and all combo with one another. Game and watch 2.6 had this problem and he got nerfed. He had speed that he had no business having and rob has coverage and utility he has no business having. I want to see rob get counter play. Lucario is stronger and better than rob but even he has counter play and is punishable.

I know we are all more active now because of tomorrow's update but we really shouldn't be speculating so heavily on this. The devs ultimately do the right thing 90ish percent of the time and they always fix mistakes within a couple updates. Let's just wait and see.

Edit: sorry about not quoting my responses to people. I'll try to be less confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I'm now confused to what attitudes you're referring to.

NEWB

I took a long time to post. Was responding to megasaturn saying that robs no big deal. Just a matchup thing that the devs and many people here disagree on. Let me try editing my post...

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I took a long time to post. Was responding to megasaturn saying that robs no big deal. Just a matchup thing that the devs and many people here disagree on. Let me try editing my post...
I didn't say he was no big deal. I just said he was manageable :p Maybe it was cause I was playing Peach but I could see the matrix. I could see what had to do. I couldn't do it cause the connection between myself and Glyph was meh
But we'll see on Monday. Glyph is my first opponent in the tournament.

Thor

The Concept said:
Glyph, If you can hear me, when (not if) I finally beat you, it will be the ROB of your choosing. Whatever build, whatever version of minus.
You're very difficult. This we all know. But I will put your R.O.B down. After this happens, then I'll retire.
Gold, this goes for your R.O.B too, for I have beaten one or two your other characters (somehow???), though not consistently.
I will put R.O.B down. Then I will leave. This is my new calling as a non-competitive Brawl Minus player.

Good luck, and FYI, you're gonna HAVE to do it with Pit thanks to this challenge... the multi-laser is a ***** if you don't have some sort of reflector [the Mirror Shield] (unless Glyph somehow finds the buffs in one of the Max/3._ builds so good he prefers to not use it, which I don't really believe).

I had a post from a LONG time ago but crap internet meant I never actually posted it and I don't remember how it was supposed to go [for the ROB thread, but this has turned to discussion about ROB, so...], other than me asking why ROB's spotdodge was buffed from frame 2 to frame 1 - it just struck me as a sort of silly buff (normally his spotdodge in vBrawl is 2-20/25, i.e. invulnerable frames 2 through 20, animation ends 25, and Glyph said it's 1-20/25 - why did this occur??? Did Falco get a similar treatment, except opposite? Because his feels worse than vBrawls... so does Pikachu's...)

So yeah I'm still asking for frame data for characters, AT LEAST on all dodges (rolls/spotdodges) and preferably other stuff too.

And we DI fair down and away or just straight away? Just double-checking this...

Also, it was said that everyone has guaranteed follow-ups to throws - Falco doesn't - dthrow can be DI'd, uthrow is garbage (Pin explained why but it's still garbage, even if it's hard/impossible to fix), bthrow can have the lasers easily DI'd out of, and fthrow doesn't chain to stuff, last time I checked. Does this mean one of Falco's throws needs a buff, since it was said somewhere that EVERYONE has guaranteed followups off throws, and Falco does not?

EDIT: Also, Megasaturn, Fox was not OP because he has clear, definable, exploitable weaknesses (See Evo 2k14, Axe versus Silent Wolf, game 3 to understand what I mean, if you don't from what I'm saying). ROB does not. [Boo hoo, he has an angle that is vulnerable, well he can cover it decently with nair and not everyone can. Most the other stuff has been addressed by others.] If you count Fox dittos he technically has 4 even matchups [and if you count Leffen's jons, he's got like 6 bad MUs XD].

Admittedly, I don't think ROB is as big a problem as people make him out to be either, but I play Falco (at least when I fight ROB, more often than not) and I also don't think most characters are problems in general, so I don't know how much I should weigh in on it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

Oh yeah, do we get changelist and download simultaneously?