New Olimar...

Other Aether

Mediator
Is absolutely perfect. Please don't redo him again. No more annoying desynches with Pikmin is awesome. At first I was angry that Olimar was made "less skill intensive" due to Pikmin normalization, since I actually took the dozens of hours required to learn him on a competitive level in vBrawl, but I didn't realize how much depth he still has. Just as a random example, Pikmin throw Yellow>Blue/Red>White at mid-to-high percents, and it's pretty much an instakill. Up, sideways and then a powerful meteor smash. Blueattack while recovering will often result in either death by falling short, or getting a stage spike. 6 whites at 0 percent=~300 damage+KO. Combo ability is just as strong as Combolimar/Olimax, and he has simply insane damage racking ability. He can be comboed, KOed and gimped fairly easily, so I wouldn't exactly write him off as OP. He's just... Everything vBrawl Olimar was, but better. Also belly-sliding across the stage is fun :D

Thank you, whoever's idea this was.

Note to other people: it's far too easy to see bad things about the new update. Stop focusing on those, look at all the good things the devs did and take a moment to say thank you for them.

EDIT: Just comboed a red uSmash into a white uSmash by the edge, spiking the opponent off the stage to their death from 0%. Maybe that's a little OP ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
The only thing Olimar needs is a tweak to his Up B, where it puts him into special fall if used offstage and he attempts to grab the ledge. If it misses, he can't use pluck to try to recover again.

Other Aether

Mediator
The only thing Olimar needs is a tweak to his Up B, where it puts him into special fall if used offstage and he attempts to grab the ledge. If it misses, he can't use pluck to try to recover again.
It can still miss? It hasn't done so for me yet; I assumed it was fixed.

Gold_TSG

You need to be juuuust out of range of the ledge, like any tether recovery char. If it doesn't catch, you fall to your death, which makes no sense since he can use it without worry anywhere else.

Other Aether

Mediator
You need to be juuuust out of range of the ledge, like any tether recovery char. If it doesn't catch, you fall to your death, which makes no sense since he can use it without worry anywhere else.
Oh, that. Yeah, isn't that a glitch? I thought you meant that old thingy where if your Pikmin were desynched and you used up+b, they'd form a kind of rough-looking line pointing to the edge, but not work.

Gold_TSG

Nah, not that.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Hehe, I feel like after 6 Olimar builds, Thunduh-Moo finally got him! Kudos to him, we're finally at a point where we can say we don't need to rebuild Olimar from scratch anymore! (Much to his relief, Olimar is a lotta lotta work)

Gold_TSG

He is indeed perfect like this, minus that little fix.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
One of the funnest things I found (asides from the awesome Pikmin bombs of course) were all the extra hops he has from air Pluck. Oh, and Dtilt, "The Penguin".

Gold_TSG

I call dtilt the "mile-worm" since he's sorta doing an inchworm thing, but going that extra distance.

daftatt

I think olimar needs a redesign...
trollface.png

But honestly I can't stand how janky his design is, but apparently the ENTIRE B- community disagrees with me... so this will be my final complaint on the matter.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I think olimar needs a redesign...
trollface.png

But honestly I can't stand how janky his design is, but apparently the ENTIRE B- community disagrees with me... so this will be my final complaint on the matter.
I think 3.5 Olimar is the best version of him so far, but I get the feeling he has the potential to be OP in skilled hands. It's pretty easy for players who aren't at all familiar with Olimar to wreck faces, just by tossing Pikmin.

He may be in need of some nerfs down the line, but I'm okay with his core playstyle in 3.5. Exploding Pikmin sure are powerful, though.

daftatt

I think 3.5 Olimar is the best version of him so far, but I get the feeling he has the potential to be OP in skilled hands. It's pretty easy for players who aren't at all familiar with Olimar to wreck faces, just by tossing Pikmin.

He may be in need of some nerfs down the line, but I'm okay with his core playstyle in 3.5. Exploding Pikmin sure are powerful, though.
Yeah, that's really what I think too, his design "Makes Sense" as far as B- is concerned, but his pikmin throw is completely broken. you can constantly pile on damage and pikmin with impunity, then if the opponent does not immediately focus on getting the pikmin off they are effectively dead from the impending relentless knockback the clinging pikmin throw out. Literally anyone can win a match by just throwing pikmin constantly and it takes no skill, meanwhile the opponent has to focus constantly on getting the pikmin off and nothing else. Everyone at my smash weekly has reached a consensus to not play olimar because it's completely un-fun to play against.

Just make it so pikmin don't all deal a knockback attack after cling, it's total BS and the main gripe I have with him.

Thor

Pick Marth, use counter.

Problem solved!

Seriously though, the Pikmin aren't that awful, and you can just apply pressure so he can't stick you, so to speak...

Other Aether

Mediator
Olimar is one of those characters who can completely devastate you until you learn to counter him. A classic example of this is Melee Jigglypuff, who can sweep a newbie off the edge in one blow and then WoP them to death if they're not careful. Just practice against him, and eventually you'll get it. It's really not that hard to dodge his Pikmin once you get used to it, although with the amount of spamming going on you're bound to pick up a few... Just keep them off their toes.