Brawl Minus 3.3 is BACK!

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
The CSS, yes. During battle, no.

CaptainEllipsis

Graphic/Character Designer
Also, thunderbrand wasn't really nerfed. It kills reliably and luigi has great physics in the air that make this move really fun use and be deceiptively precise.

The SFX isn't as good now IMO. I don't mean on just on whiff. The connecting one also is kinda meh compared to before.

Thunderhand isn't bad, but It still feels way too slow to kill reliably imo; charge time just doesn't seem worth the payout. You -have- to get an extremely good setup or read if you actually want to ko in the air. I mostly land-cancel with it now, so I can get it out fast, but even then, the hitbox is smaller than the gfx, and it makes it kinda hard to place sometimes. The previous version was a bit too fast yeah; it outclassed fair and basically made it useless, but I wouldn't mind it being slightly faster than it is now.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the whiff sfx either :p. it makes it feel very weak.

NEWB

The only way you can. Set up with it best is with fireballs. And yeah, you usually use it in the air and land with it, but because it is so long, you can start it higher in the air and still land cancel it.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Blast Burn will likely get a buff, I'll leave it to your imagination.
NS Mode's flourish was supposed to be seen as a change to NS Mode, not a nerf or buff. It means you actually need to learn how to use Ike. Not just go for a star KO and start charging.
Ganon's Warlock punch ignores shields now. Even if he can't use it to mix up I can't see that as a nerf. He has less risk than before. Where he used to die if he hit a shield and didn't tech, he now only dies if his percent is too high and he misses which gets him smashed.

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

This^. So much this! I always hated that I had to charge ns mode after every kill. It was the always the best option and not really interesting.

Still unsure about Ganon. Need to play more.

Thor

I know whenever I saw someone start a Warlock Punch, I'd either rush in and punish it on startup (Which was easy as I'd be close) or just hop back and (if I had projectiles) shoot some projectiles at Ganon - in neither case would people "fake me out" with it, which is partially why I don't understand how Warlock Punch was ever a fakeout, that is, I've never actually been mixed up by a fakeout because I never put myself in a position where they could hit me easily after the Punch (they're in hitstun from my rush or I'm halfway across the map, maybe with projectiles coming at them). So I've never understood what Ganon lost, because the punch versus me was only ever a hard read from a tech/roll, a follwup to burying me (pitfall status), or else for the Gandouken - people won't land the attack on me otherwise, because when I see the Punch I don't mess around - rush down because I'm close/mid range or run like hell.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
If anyone still has a MAX 1.01 setup, I could play against you as 'Dorf a bit to try and show you how I use the cancel on W.P.

It doesn't work as well on characters with projectiles.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Also, the main reason I think Blast Burn will get nerfed/changed is because it's so strong, easy to hit with, and how easy it is to camp with it behind a Rock Smash shield.

I'll be really surprised if it's current ability is buffed without being nerfed or changed in any other way.

NEWB

Most people in the cast have projectiles. That's probably why some people can't really see what's been lost. Many of us are long time members and experienced. I deal with his lunch same way Thor described, but I still try rushing in and go for a mixup, which didn't work out for me since I play to reckless.

Trying to cope with that now T_T

Gold_TSG

You win, Tybis.

NEWB

Eh....... What?

You bring up an interesting point bent. Is blast burn a normal projectile or does it go through things and not get reflected?

Gold_TSG

It can be absorbed by Ness, so I assume it acts like a normal projectile.

Gold_TSG

Since it's a piercing projectile, I'm not sure it can.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
BTW, just wondering: Is the official Minus slogan still "If it's Broken, Break it until it's Fixed"?

Or is it more along the lines of just "Break the Limits" now?

How does everyone explain Minus to people unfamiliar with it in a short period of time?

Smilindeth

"Think Brawl, except everyone is stronger, it is easier to get back to the stage, and crazy things happen."
Been trying to also emphasize that it is heading towards a place where competitive play can be done, it just has a different focus than PM as the players are there to kill you rather than the mechanics. (Hate the accidental air dodge deaths on PM so much)

NEWB

Yeah that one is, right? I don't quite remember....

That being said, it fits more now then break it untill it's fixed. I like that slogan better though cuz of the pun. Minus can still be said to be doing that, but it doesn't sound as professional. Minus is also really leaning towards more balancing things. I do kinda miss the brokenness of old minus though. Once minus comes closer to completion, there should be a legacy patch with all of the most broken incarnations of minus characters in there. It wouldn't be balanced really, just fun. I'm sure other characters could also just get really simple buffs that would break them like beta sonic.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Since you fixed Pikachu's recovery not working near walls, would you do the same for Zelda? I haven't tested this in MAX 3.3 yet, but in MAX 1.01, her Up B wouldn't go anywhere if she was too close to a wall.

GoldenJoe

Long time player and infrequent poster at the old forums here. First, let me say thanks for making a fantastic mod. BMM 1.0 is my favorite version of any Smash, and I really must commend the amazing work you've done to make it happen. That said, I want to offer some quick feedback. Two main points:

1) I'm still on 1.0. The main reason is because the nerfs in the changelog don't look very fun, and many of the characters my group enjoys like Mario, Lucario, and Ike keep getting nerfs while problem characters like Falcon, Falco, and Zelda can wreck shop harder than ever. This isn't the place to go into specifics; I just want you to know that selective nerfing is turning some players like us away from newer versions of the mod.

2) Bugs that crash the game are a sure fire way to ensure that as few people as possible upgrade. I don't like getting frustrated configuring XML files and trying to get BMM to work with my carefully selected custom music. I'm one of the people who will wait for another release as a result. Please consider accounting for custom music and SDHC cards.

?0123456789?

Does the Minus team plan on releasing a patch in the near future to address the last few remaining freezing issues and other small stuff or are you guys waiting for the next big release to do so? I'm curious because I've been checking in daily to see if anything has been resolved but honestly I don't know what to expect. Also, I remember at one point hearing that 3.3 was the first half or transition to another upcoming big release later this year? Is there an estimated time of completion on that as well? I don't expect another big release for at least a few months but at least I can have some idea and something to look forward to. :D

Thor

Long time player and infrequent poster at the old forums here. First, let me say thanks for making a fantastic mod. BMM 1.0 is my favorite version of any Smash, and I really must commend the amazing work you've done to make it happen. That said, I want to offer some quick feedback. Two main points:

1) I'm still on 1.0. The main reason is because the nerfs in the changelog don't look very fun, and many of the characters my group enjoys like Mario, Lucario, and Ike keep getting nerfs while problem characters like Falcon, Falco, and Zelda can wreck shop harder than ever. This isn't the place to go into specifics; I just want you to know that selective nerfing is turning some players like us away from newer versions of the mod.

2) Bugs that crash the game are a sure fire way to ensure that as few people as possible upgrade. I don't like getting frustrated configuring XML files and trying to get BMM to work with my carefully selected custom music. I'm one of the people who will wait for another release as a result. Please consider accounting for custom music and SDHC cards.

1. Falco is bad [while bad is an exaggeration, I wrote a lengthy post on it elsewhere - he has to camp, and is one of like 2 characters who must do so, because his approach is mediocre at best, and reliant on lase walls - this admittedly makes his camping super strong in FFAs though], Falcon's buff in 1.01 is really minor (I think just the Raptor Boost buff), and I don't know if Zelda got a buff to 1.01, but she takes a lot of practice to play against, but then fighting her isn't that bad. Many people are with you on the Ike nerf, but Lucario's nerfs are probably rather necessary (he was almost unarguably the best in 1.00, while now many still think he's the best). Unless you refer to Metal Mario nerfs (where the buffed version promotes running away), I don't know how Mario got nerfed. Just some input from someone who's played all 3 versions (I'd have to go to 3.3 changelogs to comment on those changes relative to 1.00, but I assure you the 1.01 was balancing in a positive direction).

2. This mod got delayed and rushed a bit at the end as far as I know, I don't have much else to say on this because I use the default music and I haven't had too many issues (more or less).

Also, we'd appreciate your feedback, but don't necessarily expect it put in the game.

GoldenJoe

Wow. Someone moderated my politely worded feedback, but that cat fight was allowed to go on for several pages?

That's fine; you just saved me a lot of time and effort. Like I said, if you want smashboards, have fun being smashboards. I'm out.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
To clarify, i did not modify your post to remove feedback. For anyone who noticed, i removed all traces of the previous argument because it was bad for people to see who are coming to these forums

I completely agreed with you GoldenJoe. Please understand that i only took out that last part to remove any evidence of the confrontation between bent and kien ever happening