Community Request Thread for the version after 4.2

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I'm just going to use the format from the 4.0BC Community Request Thread for now.

During my time on the forums, I've seen plenty of good ideas proposed by our small but passionate community. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that many of those requests end up getting lost or forgotten about due to a lack of organization -- especially those posted on the Minus Discord. So here's a new idea: Let's keep track of Community Requests in this thread! Simply post your requests for the next version, and I or a Mod can update the second post as Requests are Approved, Rejected, etc. by the Dev Team.

Requesters: Don't get your hopes up, since the vast majority of Requests will most likely be Rejected. The purpose of this thread is simply to organize all the Community Requests into one place. Please take your Requests seriously; only make suggestions that sound reasonable, would make Minus better as a whole, and are actually possible to implement without too much difficulty. A good example would be Requesting very specific fixes for existing characters' moves to make them work better. A bad example would be Requesting things like completely new characters, modes, or features that would have to be created from scratch. Dumb Requests will be Ignored.

Making new characters (even clones) specifically for Minus is very hard, time-consuming work, and this close to the end of Brawl Minus, the Devs already know who is getting in and who isn't. Any "New Fighter" Requests made by our community will most likely not make any difference at this point.

Pin Clock: "We can still take requests for costumes but we already have plans for most of them."

About POLLs: Rather than have a bunch of anti-Requests, I will add a (POLL) link to the end of controversial Pending Requests.

See a Pending Request that you like? Click the (POLL) link and vote "For".
See a Pending Request that you dislike? Click the (POLL) link and vote "Against".
See a Pending Request you don't have a strong opinion on either way? Click the (POLL) link and vote "Neutral".

If you see a Request that you would like me to add a POLL for, just ask.
POLLs allow you to voice your approval or disapproval of existing Requests, without cluttering up the thread.

REQUEST GUIDELINES: PLEASE BE VERY SPECIFIC WITH YOUR REQUESTS, AND EXPLAIN THE REASONING BEHIND THEM.

INCLUDE A SHORT AND SIMPLE FORM OF YOUR REQUESTS THAT CAN BE USED AS POLL QUESTIONS IF NECESSARY.

SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION THAT HELPS DEMONSTRATE YOUR REQUESTS (SUCH AS LINKED PICTURES, VIDEOS, EXPLANATORY THREADS, ETC.) WILL HELP MAKE YOUR REQUESTS MORE CLEAR. INCLUDE SUCH INFO IF POSSIBLE!

Recommended Request Format
---
Short Version of your Request that could be used as a Poll Title in question form.
For example: Move A should do X instead of Y / Should Move A do X instead of Y?
---
Explanation of the logic behind your Request.
For example: Why you want Move A to do X instead of Y. Why should Move A be changed?
Is there a problem with it as-is? How would your solution help? Be very specific.
---
Reference material like Pictures, Videos, Explanatory Threads, Etc.
---

Last of all, please do not post Bug Reports in here, or Request specific bug fixes,
except for bugs which the Devs do not plan on fixing, but have not yet addressed.

Bug Reports should be posted in the Brawl Minus 4.2 Bug Report Thread.

Some examples of bugs are graphical / audio glitches, things that do not load properly,
freeze the game, make the game lag, and anything that does not work as the Devs intended.

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Community Requests for Brawl Minus 4.3

=================================================================

APPROVED

General

NONE

Fighter

NONE

Stage

NONE

Misc.

NONE

UNDER CONSIDERATION

General

NONE

Fighter

NONE

Stage

NONE

Misc.

NONE

PENDING

General

NONE

Fighter

:pichu: Pichu:

---
Please update Pichu's Back-Air landing animation to suit the new aerial animation. [unrelatedisme123]
Pichu's 4.2 Back-Air still has the landing animation from pre-4.0, when the move was like Pikachu's Back-Air.
---

Stage

NONE

Misc.

NONE

REJECTED

General

NONE

Fighter

NONE

Stage

NONE

Misc.

NONE

IGNORED

General

NONE

Fighter

NONE

Stage

NONE

Misc.

NONE

Regarding Costume Requests

Please check the list below before Requesting a new alternate costume for official Minus.

====================================================================
Finalized Costumes - Requests for these characters will be IGNORED.

----------------------------------
Already included in 4.0BC
----------------------------------

Alternate Models:

Ike
Link
Lucas
Luigi
Marth
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Ness
Olimar
Pichu
Pit
R.O.B.
Roy
Sheik
Snake
Sonic
Waluigi
Wario
Zelda

Mostly Recolors:

Bowser
Charizard
Ivysaur
Kirby
Lucario
Mr. Game and Watch
Squirtle
Yoshi

-------------------------------------
Finalized for a future release
-------------------------------------

Alternate Models:

None confirmed yet...

Mostly Recolors:

None confirmed yet...

Nothing Finalized - Request away!

None confirmed yet...

Status Unknown

Captain Falcon

Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Mario
Peach
Pikachu
Samus
Toon Link
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus

Thanks to Darxmarx for updated list info.

Any Requests for new costumes that are for characters whose new costumes have already been finalized will be listed as IGNORED. Costume Requests for fighters whose new costumes have not been finalized will be listed as PENDING until a Minus Developer comments on them -- then they may be marked as APPROVED, UNDER CONSIDERATION, or REJECTED. Costume Requests for characters listed under "Status Unknown" will stay under PENDING until a Minus Developer comments on them.

Community Costume Requests for the next version of Brawl Minus (after 4.2)

APPROVED
NONE

UNDER CONSIDERATION
NONE

PENDING
:falcon: Gold Captain Falcon (link) [Thor]
:fox: Melee Fox (link) [Malkasaur]
:mario: Dr. Mario (link) [WarioMasterDK]
:samus: Dark Samus recolor (#9 in this pic) [ALLCAPS]
:samus: Light Suit Samus recolor (#8 in this pic) [ALLCAPS]
:samus: Melee Black Samus (link) [ALLCAPS]
:samus: Most of these Samus recolors (link) [ALLCAPS]
:samus: PED Suit Samus (link) [ALLCAPS]
::zss: SJS Zero Suit Samus (link) [Malkasaur]

REJECTED
:lucario:Maid Lucario [Longbottom]

IGNORED
:metaknight: Red Retro Meta Knight [MLCrafter]

Last edited on 01-06-2018 at 12:03 AM EST.

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I plan to update and merge the Community Request Lists from 4.0BC and 4.1, but this will take some time.
Until this is done, please refer to the two threads linked below to see past Requests.

https://forums.brawlminus.net/threa...thread-for-the-next-version-after-4-0bc.1212/
https://forums.brawlminus.net/threads/request-thread-for-brawl-minus-4-2.1514/

This thread is now open for new Requests for the version after 4.2, tentatively called 4.3.

You don't need to re-Request any Requests you already made in either of the two previous threads. They will show up in here eventually.

Moderators and I will update this thread as more Community Requests are posted. Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I approve of this thread, and would like to request The Beatles riding a Minusaur as a playable character.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Kirby should be able to copy Pichu, Waluigi, Roy, and Mewtwo, and all copy abilities should be exactly the same as the character copied (other than hitbox placement due to Kirby's proportions; and Olimar)

Kirby should have his Smash 64 up tilt, as right now he is low tier, and this would be a good way to buff him.

Ganondorf's moveset should better match the Zelda games. Perhaps he could shoot a golden orb thing like in Ocarina of time.

Bugs:
GCN ROB crashes the game when he crouches.

Mario Bros. stage causes flashes when someone dies. This one time crashed the game.

We have already responded to Kirby's uTilt and copy ability requests in other threads, and have declined the uTIlt but are working on copy abilities. Kirby's uTilt is already amazing in Minus.
Hold B while using Warlock Punc

Bugs do not belong in the Request Thread.

Brosiyeah

Talentless
Since the stages are organized into 4 groups now, I think it would be nice if one of the clusters was the tournament legal stages. Not sure if that is the case now, since I am not sure what the official tournament rules are, but if not, that would be really nice.

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
I'd like to request that snake's down b doesn't stick. I doubt this will be accepted since it was just changed, but I really don't understand why it was changed again.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Since the stages are organized into 4 groups now, I think it would be nice if one of the clusters was the tournament legal stages. Not sure if that is the case now, since I am not sure what the official tournament rules are, but if not, that would be really nice.
The bottom section of Page 1 is the tournament legal stages.

I'd like to request that snake's down b doesn't stick. I doubt this will be accepted since it was just changed, but I really don't understand why it was changed again.
It made Snake's combos fairly braindead since it removed all strategy involving C4.

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player

It made Snake's combos fairly braindead since it removed all strategy involving C4.
I guess, but landing the sticky isn't even that easy. One thing that would make me really enjoy snake is if he could place the sticky on himself though

unrelatedisme123

Minusaur
Playtester
I know its probably not a priority at all which is why I didn't request it last version. I would like for pichu to use a different landing lag animation on Back Air, because it seems that it currently just uses the landing lag animation from pichu before the 4.0 rework. I have attached a gfycat.
I am requesting this change because the landing lag animation does not logically match the animation of the move and looks odd.

Survivian

The Rando-Est of Brandos
Minus Backroom
I know its probably not a priority at all which is why I didn't request it last version. I would like for pichu to use a different landing lag animation on Back Air, because it seems that it currently just uses the landing lag animation from pichu before the 4.0 rework. I have attached a gfycat.
I am requesting this change because the landing lag animation does not logically match the animation of the move and looks odd.

Oh yeah.
That’s on me.
When I made the new B-Air animation using the Smash 2 Model, I didn’t think about the landing lag animation.
My bad.
I’ll keep that in mind for 4.f.

unrelatedisme123

Minusaur
Playtester
Oh yeah.
That’s on me.
When I made the new B-Air animation using the Smash 2 Model, I didn’t think about the landing lag animation.
My bad.
I’ll keep that in mind for 4.f.
Actually I don't think it was on you. It had the same landing lag animation in 4.0b, 4.0bc, and 4.1

Coepe

I feel that Bowser's grounded neutral B too safe (especially on FD.) I know that it has quite a bit of endlag, making it punishable, but it can't be beaten by any attack (due to super armor) or most grabs. It also can't be blocked due to the grab property. The only moves that I have found to beat it are tether grabs and Ganondorf's side B.

Perhaps it could have heavy armor instead of super armor, so strong attacks (attacks that are strong, not the official name for tilts) could beat it, or its range could be reduced, so that more grabs could beat it.

I know that this is really Bowser's only good approach, but I don't think that it should be this good.

Survivian

The Rando-Est of Brandos
Minus Backroom
I feel that Bowser's grounded neutral B too safe (especially on FD.) I know that it has quite a bit of endlag, making it punishable, but it can't be beaten by any attack (due to super armor) or most grabs. It also can't be blocked due to the grab property. The only moves that I have found to beat it are tether grabs and Ganondorf's side B.

Perhaps it could have heavy armor instead of super armor, so strong attacks (attacks that are strong, not the official name for tilts) could beat it, or its range could be reduced, so that more grabs could beat it.

I know that this is really Bowser's only good approach, but I don't think that it should be this good.
Lemme go ahead and educate you really quick.
Thanks to player_03 for labbing this.

Basically, no Bowser’s Royal Rampage is not really safe. It’s easy to avoid and if someone you know is spamming it in neutral, just jump above them or you a command grab that beats it out. Any nerf to Royal Rampage would just make it unusable in it’s current state unless we got a creative nerf to it.

Since I made that GIF, Royal Rampage got a slight buff, in that it can grab aerial opponents if they're very close to the ground and attacking Bowser. It's most reliable when they're attacking towards the ground. So Peach would definitely have been grabbed, and Meta Knight probably would have. (Peach, of course, can just float a bit higher or use a different aerial and be safe.)

That said, the move also deals slight but continuous damage to anyone near the flames. This means you'll have to hit Bowser harder in order to make the trade worthwhile.

But even so, it isn't broken. If you don't have a convenient command grab, you can run just outside his maximum range and then punish at your leisure. Bowser has no way to cancel the move early, so it's easy to predict where he'll end up. Or you can jump over him and dair to rack up damage. You'll take damage too, but usually Bowser will take more.

Roy loses speed when doing Side-B in the opposite direction after the first one”
Roy’s Side-B builds up momentum instead of just a sudden speed burst type thing. Side-B in the opposite direction understandably kills a lot of that momentum.

^From the bug report thread. Since apparently it isn't a bug, I'm bringing it up here instead.

I've seen new Roy players try to recover with this move after being flung offstage, but they fail and die because they didn't B-reverse it. And it feels really unfair because usually that move works so much better; it just failed for no apparent reason when they needed it most.

This is bad design and unfriendly to new players.

Request: When Roy turns around using side-B, preserve his existing speed.

This is easy to implement and won't interfere with the "building up momentum" concept: use the same formula but take the absolute value of his speed. Roy can already do this using B-reversals, so it clearly won't break the game. And since (AFAIK) there's no tactical advantage to this move stopping you cold, this change won't interfere with Roy's playstyle.

Last edited:

Brosiyeah

Talentless

I think it would make more sense to have Halbred and Lylat replaced with WarioWare and Spear Pillar.

This is just personal preference, but replacing Pokemon Stadium 1 with Yoshi's Island would also be cool for the future.

Last edited:

Coepe

I'm not sure if it's possible due to hardware and/or software limitations, but 8-player smash would be a very fun addition. I know that this might not be possible, but if possible I think that it should support 4 GCN controllers via the ports on the side of a Wii, and 4 more via the Wii U adapter using the USB ports on the back of the console. If that's impossible, 4 GCN controllers and 4 Wiimotes/classic controllers would be fine too.

Also, I think that stage hazards should be able to be turned off somehow so that hard core players can have more stages to use, but casual players can still enjoy the hazards if they want too.

I'm not sure if it's possible due to hardware and/or software limitations, but 8-player smash would be a very fun addition.

Pretty sure that'll have to wait for the Wii U version.

Also, I think that stage hazards should be able to be turned off somehow so that hard core players can have more stages to use, but casual players can still enjoy the hazards if they want too.

I've heard they're adding even more stages. This should give both types of player more to enjoy.

Brosiyeah

Talentless
Maybe not for whatever update comes next, but a I think it'd be cool if Minus got it's own theme song for the menu eventually. Just hearing the vanilla brawl music is a bit bland. I realize the menu music can be customized, but an original track composed for Minus would be awesome. Project M has an iconic menu theme and I really think Minus' experience would be be improved by this.

Coepe

I know that this probably won't happen, but maybe special fall could be removed entirely to allow for more interesting combos? Mewtwo and Lucario are two of my favorite characters because their up-specials are very fun to use in combos.

Also, I think that ZSS should have her Smash 4 up-special. This could allow for better combo finishers.

Brosiyeah

Talentless
Give Yoshi a tether with his tounge. It's always seemed logical to me for him to be able grab the ledge with his tounge. Neutral Special towards the ledge would grab too. I want this mostly because it'd look hilarious though.

Survivian

The Rando-Est of Brandos
Minus Backroom
Brosiyeah
With current editing tools, it is impossible to give a character a tether grab if the character in vBrawl does not come with one.
This means that Yoshi will not be able to get a tether grab in the future.

Brosiyeah

Talentless
I've been showing Brawl Minus to a lot of people from my smash 4 local scene and while it seems to be universally enjoyed, I get an overwhelming amount of players whining about how when their shield is being attacked, it causes either the attacker to slide back off the ledge or the person defending themselves to fall off.

Would it be possible to reduce or remove this sliding caused by attacking the shield? I think it may have been part of normal brawl, maybe implemented by Nintendo as some form of balance to punish spam, but it's pretty well known you can grab foes out of shield or just roll away from the attacker, so I don't really understand to point in keeping it now.

I'm aware that this possibly could affect competitive play, but please consider it. Thank you