A Suggestion for the Future of Brawl Minus

Glyph

Open the back room content to the playerbase entirely.

Look, the notion of a back room has accomplished nothing lately save for alienating new content from the few people who are truly dedicated to the mod and its success. As someone who's been part of said room, I get it. It feels really cool to be in the secret ruling class type thing, but at this point what is it REALLY accomplishing? I don't want to dig up when this version was supposed to be released, but we're on a time scale of literal years.

YEARS. Brawl Minus 4.0 was announced in late 2014. 4.0b dropped just under a year after in 2015, and 4.0bc a year after that in 2016. Looking over the announcement threads, you can find lots of lots of teasing of what neat things are coming in the 4.0 build, but good god its borderline insulting to your fans to announce a version and then take the route that's been taken.

Even then, you -still- have posters waiting patiently for new content that's, in quite a few cases, already playable. Is it done? No, but god good I can remember being one of those people waiting for that next new build and all the cool stuff that comes with it. Its time for a little realism here. Yes it would be amazing to see a competitive scene emerge for minus, or have it featured on anther's and see the playerbase grow. Keeping the releases in neat bundles as has been done in past keeps everything standardized and prevents people from needing constant updates, and would be a necessity to make any of those goals a reality.

But even with the most amazing, well polished, innovative build you guys can dream up... the clock has kinda just ticked on. I know that sounds super cynical and I'm not saying it to belittle all the hard work that's gone into this, but brawl and all of its subsets are largely novelties now. The people who care about minus are already here.

So come on. Show some kindness to the people who really do still love this mod, and let them in from the cold they've been stuck in for an obscene amount of time. Let the theorycrafting and superiority complexes end. You're all minus fans at heart, and I think its time the perspective shift from a back room to a community of fans.

Food for thought from someone who used to feel the same as how I imagine the posters these days must.

PS: unnerf ROB

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Open the back room content to the playerbase entirely.

Look, the notion of a back room has accomplished nothing lately save for alienating new content from the few people who are truly dedicated to the mod and its success. As someone who's been part of said room, I get it. It feels really cool to be in the secret ruling class type thing, but at this point what is it REALLY accomplishing? I don't want to dig up when this version was supposed to be released, but we're on a time scale of literal years.

YEARS. Brawl Minus 4.0 was announced in late 2014. 4.0b dropped just under a year after in 2015, and 4.0bc a year after that in 2016. Looking over the announcement threads, you can find lots of lots of teasing of what neat things are coming in the 4.0 build, but good god its borderline insulting to your fans to announce a version and then take the route that's been taken.

Even then, you -still- have posters waiting patiently for new content that's, in quite a few cases, already playable. Is it done? No, but god good I can remember being one of those people waiting for that next new build and all the cool stuff that comes with it. Its time for a little realism here. Yes it would be amazing to see a competitive scene emerge for minus, or have it featured on anther's and see the playerbase grow. Keeping the releases in neat bundles as has been done in past keeps everything standardized and prevents people from needing constant updates, and would be a necessity to make any of those goals a reality.

But even with the most amazing, well polished, innovative build you guys can dream up... the clock has kinda just ticked on. I know that sounds super cynical and I'm not saying it to belittle all the hard work that's gone into this, but brawl and all of its subsets are largely novelties now. The people who care about minus are already here.

So come on. Show some kindness to the people who really do still love this mod, and let them in from the cold they've been stuck in for an obscene amount of time. Let the theorycrafting and superiority complexes end. You're all minus fans at heart, and I think its time the perspective shift from a back room to a community of fans.

Food for thought from someone who used to feel the same as how I imagine the posters these days must.

PS: unnerf ROB
A lot of the better players in our Discord are playtesting the game right now and we're planning on having shorter intervals between releases. Not quite what you're asking but a huge improvement. Also ROB isn't bad hush.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
^ was just about to mention what Neville said. I certainly understand your point though, Glyph, don't get me wrong.
Also Glyph never leave me again

Glyph

Let me clarify, its great that so many talented players are getting into the play testing. I'm saying that those builds, after THIS much time, may as well be available to anyone who wants to play minus instead of leaving them in limbo forever waiting for a 4.0 that frankly might never come at this rate. Planning shorter intervals after, again, literal years of waiting is too little too late. The content is there, the demand from the playerbase is there, the only thing that keeps them separate is the idea that the backroom is either more responsible or that the public isn't competent enough to handle it in a more free flow style opposed to big single drops.

Edit: I'm trying to say the current system enforces a 'you must be _____ skilled to play with the new toys' which is out of place for a mod thats never been about the competitive viability and focuses on on fun side of smash

_DX_

Technical Wolf Main
The Future of Brawl Minus will be the exact same thing to Project M. This is why I am posting unobserved techniques, skills, and combos to this particular forum.

Forget this garbage

Pay attention to this

EpicNonBread

Malfunctioning Machinery
Minus Backroom
Playtester
Necroing in case Glyph lurks again

I wanted to address something with a piece I came across while researching the origins of Minus.

which is out of place for a mod thats never been about the competitive viability and focuses on on fun side of smash

From the official smashmods Brawl- homepage. The very first question on the FAQ written by Cadet...

Q: Is Brawl- competitive, or just for casual scrubs with too much time on their hands?

A: No! Brawl- is incredibly competitively valid! Despite claiming to be "broken", Brawl- is amazingly well-balanced within itself, and we take pride in making everything just stupid enough so that there are no overpowering tactics, one-trick-ponies, or anything that would make game balance suffer as a result. Brawl- is incredibly competitive, and anyone claiming otherwise either has had negative experiences with an older build, or has no idea what they're talking about.

Source

Last edited: