CPU Tourneys - Tourney #1 Complete!

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
Hello, everyone! Darx here, with a small, yet fun proposal.

Fellow forum member BC created a thread regarding CPU tournaments quite a while ago, but it didn't receive much feedback, so we decided to bring this topic to light yet again.
All of you, readers, determine who shows up to these tourneys! Choose 1 or 2 characters (found by default in the current Minus version), and give each a specific costume and a tag. If a good number of people happen to show up, then we shall permit one CPU per person. If not too many people are interested, then 2 CPUs per person shall be allowed.
Brackets use the official Minus tourney rules, with some exceptions.​
  • 1v1 Tournament, Brawl Minus 4.0b
  • Items are set to Off and None.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches. The semi-finals (winners and losers), finals (winners and losers), and Grand Finals sets will be in best of 5 format. Less than 10 entrants, however, and more sets will be added. Gotta get a fair share of hype!
  • Chaingrabs are limited to 3 of the same throw in a row. (EX: Pichu dThrow)
  • Suicide Rule: If a match ends by both remaining players losing their last stock at the same time due to a suicide move (EX: Flame Choke, Galactic Crusher) then the initiator of the suicide move is considered the winner of the match regardless of what the results screen says, and no tiebreaker is played.
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match with one life and 3 minutes of time, using the same characters on the same stage. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
  • If a transforming character(Zelda/Sheik, Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard) changes during a match, the match must be redone. If this repeatedly happens, the transforming character will forfeit a game, and possibly the set if it continues.
Stages
Every match, one of these legal stages is randomly chosen. A stage cannot be played on twice in a row.
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Spear Pillar
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Lavander Town
  • Castle Siege
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Warioware
CPU matches, contrary to what one might expect, are usually pretty hype. While some AI tend to be smarter in comparison to others, matches always have at least some hype moments.

Please, let us know about how you feel about this idea. Feedback is appreciated and relevant questions shall be answered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you to everyone who participated in the tourney. Check here for the final results. We will be continuing this little series in the future, so look forward to that ~
Big thanks to Joeybeta for streaming the first CPU Tourney! Check out his stream regarding Minus things here! We apologize for the technical issues that those who attended the stream experienced.
Leave any feedback here on this thread. Just as before, comments are appreciated and relevant questions shall be answered.

Last edited:

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
If you like it, and you want to participate, just message one of us about it. We're trying to set these up on a bi-weekly basis. Maybe monthly, if we can't find someone who can upload the sets.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
If possible, try to pm me on skype or discord, as I don't check the forums as much. Forgot to mention that. XD

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
Oh, completely forgot to mention this to Darx when he was making this. XD

The deadline for entries for the first CPU tournament will be at 11:59 PM on Sunday, July 31 EST.

Please make your entries by then by either posting your CPU here, or messaging me on Skype or Discord.

And while I'm here, I'll make my entry.

PKJolt, the green Pikachu

Last edited:

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
Another quick update. For all of you that want a Mario CPU, I have added the code for CPU Mario's double Up B to my game. He can actually recover now. XD

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
If I had a stream setup, I would. XD

Once the deadline hits, I'll play out the matches, saving every replay. Then have someone upload every set for everyone to enjoy. Sorry if it's not what everyone wants, but it's all I can do. I'm poor... ;.;

Unless someone offers to stream every replay, that is. I'll gladly send it to them.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
14 entrants already... this is a lot more than I expected. And there's still a whole week left!

Come on, people. Let's try for at least a 16 man bracket! XD

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
Updated the OP in case anyone didn't know. Get the word out about the stream date! We want a good audience for the series debut!

Ludacario

Resident of the blastzone
Playtester

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Might as well...

If I can enter only one:
Martinet (Green & White Luigi)

If I can enter two, add:
Hayter (Red & Black Snake)

Named after their voice actors. :)

Note: Names edited into full last names instead of abbreviations.

Last edited:

AGentleStar

Video Editor
Just so you know, you can't give nicknames to CPUs. I made the same mistake, thinking there was a mod for it. You are allowed to put in longer names. There's a green Samus CPU that someone entered called EXTENNNDDDURRRRR.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
In case no one's checked recently, we have a stream day and time set. Please check it, and spread the news around! We want as many participants watching as possible! XD