How to install a Brawl Mod

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
original writer: Glitch

With the Release of Brawl Minus, I want to make sure everyone is good to go.

Step 1: Make sure you have the extracted .zip looking like this
8jk8W.png

An Explanation of each file:
codes: contains the codeset and the .gct file to launch the game.
private: contains all the Brawl files and the smashstack exploit.
*background.png: What you see when you load GeckoOS.
**boot.elf: the executable for GeckoOS.
*config.dat: contains the GeckoOS configuration ready for Brawl- (hooktype: AXNextFrame)
gameconfig.txt: file which allows GeckoOS to run over 8000 lines of cheat codes. (Minus WILL NOT work if you delete this)

*Deletable but not suggested.
**Changeble to whatever homebrew you desire, suggested to leave alone. Delete if you are NOT a smashstack (hackless) user.

Step 2: Place all of the folders from the image in step 1 onto the root of your sd card.

Step 3: After the transfer is complete, you can now proceed to your Wii/WiiU console.

Homebrew users:
Step 4: Turn on Wii/WiiU with SD Card plugged in and launch the Homebrew Channel.
Step 5: Launch GeckoOS and click Launch Game (assuming the Brawl disc is inserted)
5b: The Hooktype setting should automatically be AXNextFrame because of the config.dat on the root of your SD card, but if it is not, make it that!
Hackless users:
Step 4: Turn on Wii/WiiU with SD Card plugged in and launch Brawl regularly (from Disc Channel)
Step 5: Go to the Stage Builder
Step 6: Your screen should now be black and doing hacky things
Step 7: Your Wii should now be booting the boot.elf file from the root of your SD meaning GeckoOS.
Step 8: Launch Game!
Step 8b:The Hooktype setting should automatically be AXNextFrame because of the config.dat on the root of your SD card, but if it is not, make it that!
*P.SThe Smashstack Exploit ONLY works with a regular SD card, not SDHC. If you want to play with an SD card OVER 2Gb you must launch smashstack from the regular SD card, then perform the switcheroo after GeckoOS loads.

Last edited:

NEWB

What is wrong? Where does it mess up? Make sure your wii is up to date. 4.3U I believe.

Doqk, you should include methods for using the minima launcher or pm launcher for homebrew users.

Crash

It is at 4.3U and I am a hackless user.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,096
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,051

Lukas99

My question is, does it works on the 4.3E version as well, because I have got some problems to start the game

Turk Injaydii

Brawl Zeus Bandwagon-Rider
Is this thread still relevant? I've got some friends that are having troubles and I'm looking for resources to refer them to.

snidbert63

Certified n00b
Um... I'm trying to do this, but it keeps on going to the normal stage builder screen. I have the whole thing on the root of the SD card. What am I doing wrong?

snidbert63

Certified n00b
What kind of SD card are you using? If its an SDHC card or more than 2gb, it won't work.
It's a normal SD, 1 GB. Would it help if I rename the card "FAT32"?

snidbert63

Certified n00b
Have you deleted all the custom stages, including thr pre-made ones? And are you a PAL user?
Yes, I have deleted all custom stages, and I am in the US, which I think makes me an NTSC user.

HYYYAAAAH

Hmm...I am not sure then. Have you made sure that your SD-card is recognized as an SD-card? At stage builder, you can check this by checking the "save to SD-card option" at stage builder, which is the yellow circle if I recall correctly. If it says "device in SD-card slot", your SD-card is incompatible. Could you also tell me what SD-card you are using (manufacturer)?

snidbert63

Certified n00b
Hmm...I am not sure then. Have you made sure that your SD-card is recognized as an SD-card? At stage builder, you can check this by checking the "save to SD-card option" at stage builder, which is the yellow circle if I recall correctly. If it says "device in SD-card slot", your SD-card is incompatible. Could you also tell me what SD-card you are using (manufacturer)?
Yes, the SD card is recognized, and Brawl says it has zero custom stages, on it. The SD card's manufacturer is SanDisk.

HYYYAAAAH

The only advice I could give is to format your SD-card, which is done by inserting it into your computer, opening "My Computer" and then rightclick the drive that is the SD-card, and choose "Format". Make sure that "file system" is "FAT" and then click "Start". All the files will be deleted, so you will need to add all the files again.

snidbert63

Certified n00b
1gb cards can be funny. If you buy five 2gb cards and five 1gb cards, all the 2gb will work everytime, and only half the 1gbs will. Idk why, but that's how it goes.
So you're saying that two and a half 1gb sds will work?