Jigglypuff Shield and Shield break

Turk Injaydii

Brawl Zeus Bandwagon-Rider
I get Minus is meant to be fun, and it is. You all have got a good game here and I've got high hopes for 4.0f...so can we lose the outright stupid JP shield shenanigans? Lol...Double the shield of other characters and she explodes..
Why? Just why, lol...

Double the shield I can see as a justification for the death when the puffs shield breaks...but the fact that the opponent who achieved the shield break is punished with the explosion is just not right for competitive play.

I would be BEYOND salty if I was on last stock at 100% and a stock down against a JP and trying to make a comeback..broke her shield ...and lost..
That's not going to be a good feeling for either player. Very lame way for a match to end; and all the bracket players I spoke with last night agreed..

Hope yall will consider removing it for the benefit of competitive play.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Jiggs suicide shielding is a strategy that has relatively simple counterplay: If you think she is going to try and make you break her shield, go for a grab. You'll be able to tell when she goes for it when she starts shielding while in neutral to deplete it rather than playing in the air.

Since your main is Captain Falcon, it's worth nothing that he won't die from breaking Jiggs' shield if he Falcon Punches it due to him being invulnerable when the attack comes out. Other armored moves in the game like Ganon's dash attack can also safely break her shield.

Turk Injaydii

Jiggs suicide shielding is a strategy that has relatively simple counterplay: If you think she is going to try and make you break her shield, go for a grab. You'll be able to tell when she goes for it when she starts shielding while in neutral to deplete it rather than playing in the air.

Since your main is Captain Falcon, it's worth nothing that he won't die from breaking Jiggs' shield if he Falcon Punches it due to him being invulnerable when the attack comes out. Other armored moves in the game like Ganon's dash attack can also safely break her shield.

Hmmmmm...interesting...I'll definitely take all of this into account when playing against a a JP and discussing the point with other players. When you explain it that way, I suppose it does add an interesting dynamic to the Jigg's MU like other unique character aspects. This is more conversation ammo I'll have when defending the decisions of this game that look jank on the surface, but are actually still cool for competitive play. Thanks for sharing your perspective on this :)

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
If I was a rational person, I'd say that they should keep the size of the shield or the explosion, not both.

But I am not a rational person.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Keeping both Huge Shield and Explosion = OK. A 'Puff trying to 'splode you is easy to counterplay.

Keeping only Explosion, Shield reduced to Regular Size = NOT OK, too many Explosions!

Keeping only Huge Shield, removing Explosion (Jiggs just flies off-screen) = OK, but boring. Not very Minus-y.

Thor

If you aren't playing around the shieldbreak explosion, you're not playing the MU.

If they remove the insta-death, they're removing a flavor from every other smash game that, while admittedly dubious in terms of achieving balance, feels anti-Minusy.

If they remove the explosion, with all the added (shield) damage on moves, Jigglypuff has unreasonable risk shielding [and things like Marth aerial shenanigans and Falcon's Fast Falcon Punch become significantly more dangerous].

If they reduce shield size, then yeah tons of explosions as Bent said. I wouldn't mind that but it seems silly since Puff should still have a functional shield.

It's not that hard to avoid, and anyone serious about competition [like actually trying to win a tournament and know relevant MUs and stuff] will know about the shieldbreak and know to avoid it. Dying to it can be annoying, but it's hard to set up anyway unless you can get them to play into your hands, and for setting up an intentional self-shield break, that's really hard to do in nearly every MU [except maybe Marth as mentioned above, and even then they can just not neutral B when not offstage].

Turk Injaydii

If you aren't playing around the shieldbreak explosion, you're not playing the MU.

It's not that hard to avoid, and anyone serious about competition ...

...again...Pin Clock and Bent already covered everything you said...in a much less condescending matter...maybe you're not meaning to and this is just how you talk and I need to adjust to it. If you're genuinely trying to help w/o coming across as condescending, thank you. Hard to read it any other way though.

Thor

...again...Pin Clock and Bent already covered everything you said...in a much less condescending matter...maybe you're not meaning to and this is just how you talk and I need to adjust to it. If you're genuinely trying to help w/o coming across as condescending, thank you. Hard to read it any other way though.

I made a bigger apology in the other thread, but yeah didn't really read this whole thread before commenting. Sorry.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but I suppose it comes across that way. I'll try to be more careful/polite.

Turk Injaydii

I made a bigger apology in the other thread, but yeah didn't really read this whole thread before commenting. Sorry.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but I suppose it comes across that way. I'll try to be more careful/polite.

No problem. I'll admit I was primarily ruffled about the comment in the Roy thread. Definitely don't want to be ill toward anyone here, too few of us for us to not try to get along :)