Brawl Minus 4.0b is here!

Mariosonicman1

so they are gonna stop working on it after 4.0?
do we discuss what should be added to the final update or discuss a possible different team on it?

Valravn

I think both subjects are relevant. I have some ideas for this version but will need to spend more time actually playing the game to ruminate on them.

I'd be willing to help out with a future Minus Backroom, but first I'll have to familiarize myself with ASM and so forth. My roommate recently joined the PMDT, so he might be able to give a few pointers. Depends on if my upcoming job will leave me time to spare. If nothing else, I can certainly do playtesting and promoting/art assets/etc as needed.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
While ASM is certainly a nice skill to have, it's incredibly time consuming to work in and isn't necessary or even useful for most of the things you do in Brawl modding. If what you want is general modding skills it's much better to have PSA skills first and foremost and then maybe art and animation skills after that.

Momurderer

Bazooka Koopa
I hope it's not too disrespectful to the current Minus team to already be fantasizing about how to change the game when they quit. Although any of those Dorfs from Project Ganon look like they would fit right in with the Minus philosophy. I can understand not wanting to completely change characters at this point in time but that Project Ganon really upped the game for custom movesets and starts the brain gears turning for other characters. But all in all, I do hope Minus gets more attention in the tournament scene. Lots of smash players are just too hooked to Melee mechanics.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Please fix the CPU AI before you quit. They don't deal with the higher gravity well at all.

Also, IIRC, there was some "big secret" you all made a show of not talking about publicly on one of your dev streams a while back.

Since 4.0 will be the final version, it seems unlikely that you would introduce something really big right at the end -- if there's problems with it, too bad, Minus is finished. So did that "Top Secret" get canned, or what? If so, what was it?

It's too bad Sammi didn't get around to fully adapting the SubSpace Emissary for Minus, or doing anything with Bosses...

Can we expect any major additions to 4.0 other than the Stage Expansion Pack? No more character additions, I assume?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Please fix the CPU AI before you quit. They don't deal with the higher gravity well at all.
We'll do what we can

Also, IIRC, there was some "big secret" you all made a show of not talking about publicly on one of your dev streams a while back.

Since 4.0 will be the final version, it seems unlikely that you would introduce something really big right at the end -- if there's problems with it, too bad, Minus is finished. So did that "Top Secret" get canned, or what? If so, what was it?
It wasn't ready yet

It's too bad Sammi didn't get around to fully adapting the SubSpace Emissary for Minus, or doing anything with Bosses...
If BrawlEX issues with Subspace can get resolved (and we're working on eliminating any crash we can find, so we will try our hardest to fix SSE and Classic) then we will consider it, but it's not high priority

Can we expect any major additions to 4.0 other than the Stage Expansion Pack? No more character additions, I assume?
Yes you can!

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
Yes you can!

inb4: shai le bouf's "DO IT!" reference XD

also i cannot stress enough how difficult it is to actually read through EVERYTHING after leaving for as long as i do.. yet another example of how damn esoteric these conversations get if you haven't been following, but i digress xP

anyway, one thing i was really looking forward to in minus was minus including more characters or different characters than other games and mods, yet the only character here that isn't in PM and S4 is pichu :( and don't get me wrong, pichu has gotten a lot better than before, but he's still so gimmicky and different to play against/with that i still personally don't find him to be my fit (maybe its just me) xP ... anyway, i still hope to see more characters included to set minus apart, and hopefully some fun or creative characters, or characters that deserve to be in the game will be among those.. ... ... ...please visit my character ideas page...

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
Sad to see that Minus will be finishing almost as soon as it's started back up. I mean, all the character intros are gonna come out and a whole new fanbase will be attracted only to see that the game is no longer growing.

Either way, I'm glad to help make this last version the best it can be. I'm willing to wait as long as possible for it. Nonetheless I'm grateful for all the team's done so far.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Sad to see that Minus will be finishing almost as soon as it's started back up. I mean, all the character intros are gonna come out and a whole new fanbase will be attracted only to see that the game is no longer growing.

Either way, I'm glad to help make this last version the best it can be. I'm willing to wait as long as possible for it. Nonetheless I'm grateful for all the team's done so far.

It's the last version, but who knows, maybe if the demand became loud enough...
What if we changed our minds?

Glyph

It would feel like a huge cop out, considering how long its been to even get the beta version out

Mariosonicman1

is it even possible to mod the wii in such a way for that to even happen? i dout it. but if it was possible op villager would need to be even more op

Momurderer

Bazooka Koopa
I'm amazed at the modding that has gone into Brawl over the years and hope the popularity rises and keeps up. An ever evolving fighting game is something that takes big companies and lots of money to churn out and yet Brawl has changed more than any Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat game has and has done it in a relatively short amount of time. Now if people could only do the same for real world problems. Change things without waiting for the man to start the change. What a beautiful world this would be says Donald Fagen.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I'm amazed at the modding that has gone into Brawl over the years and hope the popularity rises and keeps up. An ever evolving fighting game is something that takes big companies and lots of money to churn out and yet Brawl has changed more than any Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat game has and has done it in a relatively short amount of time. Now if people could only do the same for real world problems. Change things without waiting for the man to start the change. What a beautiful world this would be says Donald Fagen.

Give me the PSA that lets me mod life, please.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
It's the last version, but who knows, maybe if the demand became loud enough... What if we changed our minds?
The idea that the current Minus Dev Team would actually change their minds about a major issue...

...only because of "demand" from their fans?

Thor

Well, I guess I can give up any hope of a Smash 4 Minus happening :/

Yes, they're leaving Smash 4 alone [and Project M is as well]. The games are significantly harder to hack [given the patch system being able to patch bugs out] and breaking/balancing a roster of 50+ would take SIGNIFICANTLY more time than what Minus has already down... keep in mind when the project started back up, it didn't re-break from scratch, it just took what was broken and adjusted it [RIP 2.X.6 Firefox...].

It is amazing that a creature comprised entirely of salt is so capable with a keyboard.

Uncalled for.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
is it even possible to mod the wii in such a way for that to even happen? i dout it. but if it was possible op villager would need to be even more op
Yes it is but the tools are not publicly available since they're buggy. Once the tools are out, I expect that someone will start a Sm4sh Minus.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Even when Smash 4 becomes fully moddable, I doubt they'll Minusify it the same way they did Brawl. The game is fairly balanced as is, save for a few chars that stick out for either OP or UP reasons. I think the better thing would be to finish balancing the roster out, then focus on playing around with custom specials to make them much more varied/less useless.

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames

Yes, they're leaving Smash 4 alone [and Project M is as well]. The games are significantly harder to hack [given the patch system being able to patch bugs out] and breaking/balancing a roster of 50+ would take SIGNIFICANTLY more time than what Minus has already down... keep in mind when the project started back up, it didn't re-break from scratch, it just took what was broken and adjusted it [RIP 2.X.6 Firefox...].

I read an article that the PM team is working on a Smash 4 one, or at least thinking about one. Unfortunately I don't remember what site I read this on. I read it over the summer, though.

Thor

The PMDT has explicitly stated they won't make PM for Smash 4 unless they are compensated fiscally. Unless someone has offered to do that or they're rescinding on previous statements, it's not happening.