Brawl Minus 4.0b Bug Report Thread

Mariosonicman1

strange.... so i go to co-op home run contest. i hit the sandbag with two warlock punches. and get myself a high score. but for some reason after it ended and the buttons showed it. the game froze.
now i have no idea if its because of my wii, disc. or the fact i did a co-op home run contest.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
strange.... so i go to co-op home run contest. i hit the sandbag with two warlock punches. and get myself a high score. but for some reason after it ended and the buttons showed it. the game froze.
now i have no idea if its because of my wii, disc. or the fact i did a co-op home run contest.
The game freezes if you do too well. I can testify with my score that's probably higher than yours since I use a different strat.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
Not sure if this is confirmed or not, but DK's barrels have been spawning items even with items turned off.

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
I never recalled him canceling grounded quickdraw into specials either. It was indeed jump cancel-able and normal cancel-able, but im not recalling special cancelling while still on the ground. Regardless, it's probably that 2.x never had it, but that it was added later and forgotten to be reimplemented. (that is if it was intentional to begin with, it could have been a bug or oversight)

In 3.Q Ike could chain his QD into just about anything EXCEPT for jumps. I remember proposing that it be jump-cancellable in another thread and being told that it has enough potential as is, which I accepted. Though I'll gladly take a JC as well.

Also, found a weird bug:

Was Ike charging an Eruption on Final Destination against Ivysaur. Ivysaur uairs from above and onto Ragnell's hilt, upon which I hear the sound of Ragnell hitting a target, and Ivysaur dies instantly while I'm still charging the Eruption.

Lucis Perficio

I've seen this happen a lot where after a game, certain players' icons will have moved over to another character and selected them. I noticed it happened often on the Wii in 3.Q where it would usually highlight Toon Link, but now on Dolphin as I'm fighting CPUs they'll have my character selected upon exitting the results.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I've seen this happen a lot where after a game, certain players' icons will have moved over to another character and selected them. I noticed it happened often on the Wii in 3.Q where it would usually highlight Toon Link, but now on Dolphin as I'm fighting CPUs they'll have my character selected upon exitting the results.
This is known, and only occurs to Pokemon Trainer.

Lucis Perficio

Well it's been happening to literally every character I've used tonight. After a match with Ike it highlights Ike, after I use Ganondorf it highlights Ganondorf, and so on.

Cheetaboy

Sometimes when i start the game, 3 roy icons appear, taking up the space of random, pichu, and roy. usually it will crash the game if i go near the roys.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Was Ike charging an Eruption on Final Destination against Ivysaur. Ivysaur uairs from above and onto Ragnell's hilt, upon which I hear the sound of Ragnell hitting a target, and Ivysaur dies instantly while I'm still charging the Eruption.
When beginning to charge Eruption in midair, Ike has a 22% damage hitbox on Ragnell for the first few frames after it ignites, after Ike has brought the blade to a full stop.

Perhaps this is intentional, and not a bug? If so, I'd suggest adding in a burst of "full charge" flame GFX, appearing only at the moment of ignition, to illustrate that the hitbox is only active for those first few frames. As-is, the frames in which the hitbox is active look the same as the frames in which they aren't active. Also add this brief hitbox and extra GFX to the grounded version of Eruption. Perhaps the hitbox could stay active constantly while Eruption is fully charged?

Last edited by a moderator:

Junior_Z

The Blazing Star
if you read the changelog, you would see it was. the only bug here is the stage select still uses the other stage picture.
I read it, but 'reverted to vBrawl' is ambiguous if you havent played vBrawl before. That coupled with the fact the it was a vBrawl version and not vanilla Temple, which is appeared to be, led me to believe that it was unintentionally loading the default Temple. My apologies!

Jackpot

some angry little twerp
I read it, but 'reverted to vBrawl' is ambiguous if you havent played vBrawl before. That coupled with the fact the it was a vBrawl version and not vanilla Temple, which is appeared to be, led me to believe that it was unintentionally loading the default Temple. My apologies!

vBrawl is literally just Super Smash Bros. Brawl without any modifications made to it. The v stands for vanilla.

Mariosonicman1

im not sure if this counts as a bug or was intentional... but its possible to litterally fly forever with pits up B. especially when you mash it at the right times.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Training mode registers MKs downthrow to do ten damage, where it only does five.
Interesting, minor, but still noteworthy.

im not sure if this counts as a bug or was intentional... but its possible to litterally fly forever with pits up B. especially when you mash it at the right times.
This was a bug we were certain we had eliminated through testing, but it seems we have to give it another look...

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Bugs found:

Ganondorf can Cancel aerial Warlock Punch on-hit, but aerial Reverse Warlock Punch cannot be Cancelled on-hit like it should be able to.
Gandouken needs to have its Y Offsets adjusted; it does not line up with 'Dorf's arm properly, most noticeably when fired aerially.

Not a bug, but making 'Dorf Invincible during the 2 frames the 666% hitbox is active would prevent foes from trading with it via grabs.

EDIT: Looks like aerial Reverse Warlock Punch wasn't Cancellable on-hit in 3.Q, either.

I can't seem to figure this one out...
VY7UPKA.jpg

Comparing what's in SpecialAirN to SpecialAirNTurn, you'd think the aerial Reverse WP OHC would work. What am I missing here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucis Perficio

Pichu has some difficulty using his up-b when angled diagonally upward if he is on a wall. I find that strange considering he's a bit slippery otherwise (like when using his uSmash after a dash or using nair after a running short hop). Basically I've seen others (and have experienced this myself) try to recover up-left or up-right while below the ledge, and they'll generally up-b in-place, being stopped by the wall. I've known this to be the case if an up-b is directed sideways like with Pikachu's, Fox's, Falco's, or Wolf's, but when angling those diagonally towards the staged they generally scale whatever wall there may be with a slight amount of friction (Falco's can be done so that he either sweetspots the ledge or flies over it with the final part of his up-B).

Overall it seems odd for Pichu.

And though Pichu may feel heavy, I feel like it compliments his speed and slipperiness very well.

Lucis Perficio

If you release Ike's Eruption as soon as it's fully charged and not a moment after, he'll say "Prepare yourself!" and perform a basic uncharged Eruption instead of the fully charged variant.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Ganondorf can Cancel aerial Warlock Punch on-hit, but aerial Reverse Warlock Punch cannot be Cancelled on-hit like it should be able to.
Gandouken needs to have its Y Offsets adjusted; it does not line up with 'Dorf's arm properly, most noticeably when fired aerially.
If you release Ike's Eruption as soon as it's fully charged and not a moment after, he'll say "Prepare yourself!" and perform a basic uncharged Eruption instead of the fully charged variant.
Noted!

Lucis Perficio

How is it that DACUS is performed in Minus? Is it really just down to timing an uSmash during a dash? I mainly know the Melee/PM method of pressing down on C-stick during dash for the dash attack, and then hitting up-Z shortly after. I ask bc it could be a potential bug as to why this is different though ik it may be unlikely.

Are jump-cancelled grabs not a thing in Minus? I was wondering as to why I could do things like Jump-cancel uSmash out of Falco's side-b and Captain Falcon's down-b, but not jump-cancel grab them. I'm guessing this pertains to the physics, though.

Also, is Bowser supposed to be incapable of jumping onto the stage from the ledge? There's really no difference in one attempting to jump from a ledge as Bowser and getting up normally without attacking besides slight animation differences like wind being created (not windboxes from what I can tell) when he lands after jumping from the ledge.

Valravn

Jump cancelled grabs are definitely still a thing. You can't DACUS in Melee, but you can in Brawl, PM, and Minus. If you simply do an up smash while running, that's called a sliding up-smash. For some characters, like Charizard in Brawl (who has a great run speed) that's better than their DACUS. I've always done it with the z-up method you describe, and as far as I know it still works in Minus. Some timings might be wildly different if a character has a new dash attack.

On that note, has anyone successfully done a DACUS with Ganondorf's new extended dash? I'm not sure it's actually possible, but I have a feeling it would go crazy far, or at least a different distance from his regular dash attack.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
Also, is Bowser supposed to be incapable of jumping onto the stage from the ledge? There's really no difference in one attempting to jump from a ledge as Bowser and getting up normally without attacking besides slight animation differences like wind being created (not windboxes from what I can tell) when he lands after jumping from the ledge.
You should be able to jump from ledge to stage with Bowser; there are several characters who have a very difficult time jumping onto the stage from the ledge, but only Ganondorf is incapable of doing so (and that one of unintentional). If you're talking about jumping while holding the edge (as opposed to ledge release to air jump) that one is also probably intentional - Bowser was designed to only be able to use a get up attack from the ledge IIRC.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Bowser can't ledge jump because he is too heavy (design choice). As such, if you want to jump back on, you need to drop back off the ledge and jump up that way.