Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

Valravn

I imagine that's something you could talk about in the smash 4 threads. I don't think that fits too well with the brawl minus release thread. ;)

Mariosonicman1

im just asking because of roy mostly. wondering if they would change roy slightly to reflect it. a.k.a. idle animation.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Already made a random thread about the leaked videos

Thor

I feel like the hype train got started and then instantly died.

My HOPE is that Brawl Minus 4.0 somehow makes it out before EVO, but I'll not be super disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Valravn

In the interest of saying something: here is a guide to setting up PM on a Wii U; just use the Brawl Minus files instead.

Thor

Hype is building, for EVO and Brawl Minus. Do you have a favorite player of another smash game that inspires your current main in Brawl Minus? Is it possible that changes to a character cause you to pick them up or drop them? I think if Samus is as I hope, I will once again play her, and I can imagine a lot of new Pichu mains if the buffs go well! I am a huge fan of PPMD, although that's not why I play Minus Falco [that's a different story entirely, and relates to how I first chose my main in other smash games].

I can guess MegaSaturn's motivation for playing Peach, or at least his inspiration, but I want to hear why you main who you main, and if you think 4.0 could change that. Feel free to discuss!

RetroStation

If it moves, SMASH IT.
I've always had a thing for villains, so that's partially why I main Ganon and Bowser in all things Smash. However, throughout sessions with my girlfriend and a few good friends of mine, I've picked up several other mains that I rotate through whenever I feel I need a change of pace (or counterpicks, because I'm a playful dick). I'm fuzzy with future changes in 4.0, but if Kien's tweaked build is of any indication, I will definitely be staying with good old 'Dorf. But, yeah, here's my list of mains, and why (in no particular order, reasons are in reference to Kien build):

Ganon- I've mained him since Melee. Also, because I've put a fair amount of work into him NOT to keep playing him.
Falcon- Falcon Kick jump cancels and his sheer speed.
Luigi- Thunderbrand is satisfying to connect with, and Nair is just funny to play around with.
Bowser- Armor and raw power. Making him a grappler somehow works really well for him.
Samus- Dash attack > Uair > Uair and Missile > UpB are really fun to pull off.

Some of these reasons might be a little silly, but I've dabbled with the whole roster, and these five have a certain fun factor to them that makes them worth investing time in.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
Thor Obviously, I main Kirby. He's adorable, he's small, he's a combo machine, he can copy the PAWNCH and the Gandouken and Shield Breaker and etc., and he was my childhood. Pretty much every other Kirby I see in Smash motivates me to get better. I just wish I had more time to play both Minus and Smash 4, but patience is a virtue, I suppose.

Kirby is the only character that I'm particularly skilled with, I'd say. I still love to mess around with the entire cast, though. Marth feels very smooth for me, and although I'm not the best Marth player by quite a bit, I have a ton of fun using him. Falcon also feels very nice to just pick up every now and then (mainly because his finishers always feel satisfying). Roy, ever since I started picking him for the MMMs, has become a personal favorite of mine. I also like to try Falco every now and then, mainly because of Thor and owo. I kinda suck, but I still enjoy using him.

As for when 4.0 is released, I'll be trying out MK and Pichu right off the bat. I'm hoping that Pichu's rework will influence at least some people to play him more otherwise he'll be back with a vengeance... maybe
Also Thor nice job helping to spring some activity back into the site <3

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
Mind as well put my input in for this.(Though no one probably cares. XP) My favorite character's always been Yoshi. I can't really explain why, but I've always found him to be a cute character, and his cuteness level made me fall in love with him. I've mained him since Smash 64(excluding Melee/PM), and I don't ever plan on dropping him.

I would never say I'm the best Yoshi in Minus, I just feel like I'm the only one that puts time into him on the forums. To me, my Yoshi is subpar at best, considering his steep learning curve. I've also found myself loving Ivysaur a lot recently, as she's very fun to play as. I also play Dedede a bit, but all I find myself doing is spamming Waddle Toss into combos(which is honestly his entire strategy.) Finally, I enjoy playing Snake a lot(even though he's probably the cheapest character in this game...) as he has literally hundreds of different setups with the amount of tools he has at his disposal.

In terms of favorite players, it's a tie between Reflex(the best Pokemon Trainer main in vBrawl by far), and HBox. Just seeing him wreck so many people with a character that light is so satisfying to watch, you know? Plus, his Rest skills are unmatched, so there's that.

For 4.0, whenever it comes out, I'll probably try my hand at Olimar and Samus, as I've never given either a proper chance. I'll also try Pichu just to see if he's actually viable for once. XD

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
My favourite character in all the Smash games is Puff, and I main her in every single game. I remember seeing how rest worked for the first time and thinking, "This is awesome!" and using her to troll people who said she sucked.

I recently picked up Samus and depending on what happens to Peach/Puff I might Pick her up as a main.

My favourite players are Armada, HBox, and Wobbles. It's fun to see Wobbles swag with those Ice Climbers, and he's recently been using a swaggy Scorp-like Mario at our locals.

Mariosonicman1

I just love to main pichu, being so small and quick while being so cute really made me like playing as her. and it love its gimic. makes you think carefully of when is the right time to use that.

A person

Sonic has a surprising lack of changes for such a big update. Does the HA being non clangable mean it outprioritizes other attacks?

Valravn

Well, the update isn't done yet. If they actually change Boost to have a massive cooldown and have a hitbox as discussed, the character will be entirely different.

When something it made to be non-clang-able, that doesn't necessarily mean it will out prioritize attacks. Instead, it means that the attacks might 'trade', where both characters hit each other successfully. (Instead of clanging, where neither attack works and each character undergoes hit-lag.)

Momurderer

Bazooka Koopa
I used to main Bowser cus I love my heavy characters but he was taken from me when I lost 3 mirror matches in a row to yung sack. Bummer. But it caused me to focus on Sonic more and I couldn't be happier. I was a sega genesis kid growing up and Sonic and Knuckles was my favorite game. Minus Sonic is everything I imagined Sonic to be in a fighting game. I was hyped when he was announce for Brawl alongside Snake and then I got the game and was a little underwhelmed. Thank god for minus.
Looking forward to the changes for Sonic in 4.0. The one thing I love about updates is experimenting with a character all over again. I'll admit I do rely on his boost a lot but damn does it feel good to zip across the air back forth, punish attacks from the other side of the stage, chase for combos, and all the gimicks that come with super speed.
I recently picked up King Dedede and am having a blast with him even if I'm getting comboed all to heck. Having an army of waddles on your side always gets wacky. I feel like I've gotten a lot better with him over the past couple of months, I see he's not getting any changes in 4.0 and I can't really think of anything I'd change about him other than his down b inhale seems useless. I've been trying to improve my close quarters game with him, he fast falls like an elephant, forward tilt has crazy range and the waddles it launches pack a punch, and his grab range and speed is super sick. Other than that I just enjoy whacking waddles into airborne opponents with up smash and fair. Gotta say I feel like I get lucky when I hit with one but I think I'm understanding their trajectory a bit more with charged smashes and whatnot. Poor waddles take a beating for the king but dreamland isn't a democracy.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Sheik.
Without her wisdom Link would never have defeated Gannondorf.
A character who appears in canon only once, but has been in almost all smash games.
She fights for Link as well has her forgotten clan. She is the light that lurks in the shadows.
Taught by Impa herself, she carries out the will of the Hylian royal family.
Such discipline. Such honor.
If 4.0 is a success, I may return so that the Sheikah clan's memory is never forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

Another question: Changes you predict and are not looking forward to? Changes you hope will happen and would make you happy? Discuss!

For me: I predict Luigi thunderbrand will lose armor, and I hope it doesn't, because poor Luigi already has it rough enough against Falco and Olimar. Moving it back slightly or making it damage-based [to get around lasers and pikmin but not strong attacks] would certainly alleviate the frustrations I've heard without making things too much harder on Luigi.

I also hope Pikachu gets a single-hit fsmash, because I often see people SDI the multi-hit version and I miss what would have been a sure-fire kill.

I also hope that Sheik's vanish and usmash receive some sort of change, because usmash is currently almost worthless and vanish is insane, both as an out of shield and even just spamming it is incredibly safe given how powerful it is.