Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
4.0 Isn't going to randomly release one day. We will announce the date it hits when we're able to determine when everything will be ready.

Thor

So how far along is 4.0, actually? Is this even gonna be out by the end of April? I know devs are busy and all, but how far along were people before the Kien/Pin thing, and did that set things back, or was the beginning of March deadline just impossibly unrealistic?

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
So how far along is 4.0, actually? Is this even gonna be out by the end of April? I know devs are busy and all, but how far along were people before the Kien/Pin thing, and did that set things back, or was the beginning of March deadline just impossibly unrealistic?
I think that the Pin/Kien issue made the dev team realize they want a full release with no bugs or freezes and a completely full update with changes. Basically they don't want another 3.3.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
It's fairly far along, there are just a few major roadblocks in the way before we can have a true release ready. Whenever we get closer, someone comes up with an awesome idea that we feel like we need to implement (for example, the coming Ike rework), so it will take a little longer to release.

I think that the Pin/Kien issue made the dev team realize they want a full release with no bugs or freezes and a completely full update with changes. Basically they don't want another 3.3.
It actually did nothing except for involve the community more in our development process. We always aim for releases to be as bugless as we can, but 3.3 was an accident with the unstable build being uploaded instead of the more stable one.

Thor

It's fairly far along, there are just a few major roadblocks in the way before we can have a true release ready. Whenever we get closer, someone comes up with an awesome idea that we feel like we need to implement (for example, the coming Ike rework), so it will take a little longer to release.

...By major roadblocks do you mean "We need to figure out how to code this" or "It's gonna take us a long time to code and test this"?

Jackpot

some angry little twerp
Were Ganondorf's up-tilt and down-smash in 3.Q really that bad? I really liked them since they made him even more different from Captain Falcon.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
They took away from important aspects, such as roll catching.

Jackpot

some angry little twerp
Huh. The electric uppercut was always my best combo starter. Guess it's time for me to learn the new meta.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Old utilt was a stage-wide attack hitbox with a killer sweet spot. Dsmash controlled where Dorf hit people and caught rolls. While the magic-y utilt and changed dsmash had a couple uses, they simply aren't as good as the original.

Jackpot

some angry little twerp
Old utilt was a stage-wide attack hitbox with a killer sweet spot. Dsmash controlled where Dorf hit people and caught rolls. While the magic-y utilt and changed dsmash had a couple uses, they simply aren't as good as the original.
A stage-wide hitbox?? That sounds a little ridiculous, even for Minus. Guess I'll be doing some PSA work for my personal build once 4.0 comes out (ordinarily I'd just keep 3.Q Ganondorf but that new Gerudo Dragon dash attack sounds so sexy).

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
A stage-wide hitbox?? That sounds a little ridiculous, even for Minus. Guess I'll be doing some PSA work for my personal build once 4.0 comes out (ordinarily I'd just keep 3.Q Ganondorf but that new Gerudo Dragon dash attack sounds so sexy).
Said stage-wide hitbox only hits grounded foes. It's actually not that bad.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i personally thought it would have been better if it just tripped grounded foes with a really small zone where it did that hit, and the sweetspot on his kick being the explosion

Valravn

The old earthquake hitbox sounds ridiculous, but it's actually pretty easy to avoid with a short hop. It's a really good option for covering particular escapes, though. If someone with high enough friction to pull it off wants to crouch cancel your forward smash, they'll be on the ground long enough to get leg-dropped. That kind of thing.