Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait til it comes out instead of playing the guessing game?

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
This topic is no longer about minus 4

GaMeZ

I don't see how this is an issue. More stages. Throw them both in, and if someone doesn't like Lavaville, nobody is making them choose it.
If the creator was adamant about it staying in, then keep it in, honor his simple request, and lets get 4.0 going. Like, if your enjoyment of this mod is somehow hampered by a stage's presence you don't have to pick, I suggest going outside and rethinking some priorities. It's not even justified in a way like say, a character choice in Smash 4. You could argue it took dev time, but this stage is already made, and its not hard including them through coding.

Put it in, lets go, go, go!

Ph0x3h

I don't see how this is an issue. More stages. Throw them both in, and if someone doesn't like Lavaville, nobody is making them choose it.
If the creator was adamant about it staying in, then keep it in, honor his simple request, and lets get 4.0 going. Like, if your enjoyment of this mod is somehow hampered by a stage's presence you don't have to pick, I suggest going outside and rethinking some priorities. It's not even justified in a way like say, a character choice in Smash 4. You could argue it took dev time, but this stage is already made, and its not hard including them through coding.

Put it in, lets go, go, go!
I dunno about you, but I code my own Stage select every time you guys make a new Minus version. I code out the stages I don't like and leave the ones I like untouched. Has worked flawlessly until 3.Q where all the codes that I had previously been using perfectly fine were suddenly unusable (broke the game when I got to stage select).

Thor

Maybe I'm just being greedy, but @Pin Clock could you list some more of the changes that will occur in 4.0? And was there any decision on Norfair 3.3 [yay or nay or something in between]?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I'll be announcing something soon. In our last group call, we saw that the build wasn't strong enough, so we're going back and further increasing the power of the cast, to make everyone feel at least 2.x.6 powerful, while still maintaining the sense of balance we've been having from MAX beta onwards.

The announcement will be coming this weekend, so stay tuned!

Thor

I'll be announcing something soon. In our last group call, we saw that the build wasn't strong enough, so we're going back and further increasing the power of the cast, to make everyone feel at least 2.x.6 powerful, while still maintaining the sense of balance we've been having from MAX beta onwards.

The announcement will be coming this weekend, so stay tuned!

I hope this means Fox gets 2.X.6 Firefox startup back - one of my favorite troll tactics was side+B -> up+b to try to get the flames to hit and do the full 50+% : )

But I used to push for it and nothing happened, so I'd guess not... : [

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I hope this means Fox gets 2.X.6 Firefox startup back - one of my favorite troll tactics was side+B -> up+b to try to get the flames to hit and do the full 50+% : )

But I used to push for it and nothing happened, so I'd guess not... : [

That won't be coming back, no, but there are things that will be. I'm testing out some things that will be announced soon! The announcement will be tomorrow at the very latest.

NEWB

2.6 was designed to be the last installment of minus I think. From what I remember, it was very well polished with some builds that everyone liked and other builds that most didn't like. It was pretty different with how things are now, wise anyway. I suggest checking it out if you have time.

Ph0x3h

I don't know what 2.X.6 was like, but it sounds exciting
2.x.6 was the last "fun" centered installment of Minus (imo, don't get your jimmies in a bunch). The version that came out after it feel like competition and balance was a bigger priority. You can tell because there were a ton of nerfs in MAX onwards and now everything is a bit more balanced.

But yeah, 2.X.6 is gold.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Hello again, Brawl Minus!

Let me start off by saying once again, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! Today is a special day, courting that special someone, declaring your love for that person extra special to you....but that's not all! Why, on this very day just last year, Brawl Minus MAX v1.01 (Also known as Brawl Minus 3.01) was released. This version of Minus responded to certain quirks in MAX that were overpowered, even for Brawl Minus standards, and toned them down to a more appropriate and fun level. This seems to have also started the trend of nerfs to follow in later versions, taking away certain aspects of characters that were loved and putting focus on balance rather than raw, unrestricted power.

In Brawl Minus 4.0, however, things are about to change. While in December we provided a small taste of things that were to come, here's some more news on what's to come!

Brawl Minus 4.0 Preview changelog V2

GLOBAL
Character Icons on the CSS will be re-organized, to fix mistakes such as Marth not being with Ike and Roy, among other things
In addition to this, the character icons themselves will be completely new.
New Minus artwork for certain characters
Characters that could use attacks out of specialfall animation, such as Meta Knight and Pichu, will no longer go into SpecialFall in the first place, but will still have a limited amount of uses on said moves in the air.
The vBrawl version of the game will no longer have Minus Battle Portraits
The Minus version of the game will now have Minus portraits on the results screen
The Minus version of the game will now have the silly win/loss animations from 2.x.6, where as the vBrawl version will not.

Characters

Ganondorf
uTilt
Reverted to Brawl Minus 3.5
What's some weak thunder magic compared to a STAGE-WIDE GROUND HITBOX

dSmash
Reverted to Brawl Minus 3.5
The dSmash in 3.Q not only reduced a lot of Ganon's tech game, and was an awkward adjustment for Ganon to make. This reversion fixes to birds with one stone.

Ice Climbers
Hammer Squal
Grab Cancel Changed to Jump Cancel

Solo Belay
Now grants you as much height as it did in 2.x.6

Ike
No Sympathy Mode is once again being taken back to the drawing board. From how to achieve NSM to its primary functions, Ike in Brawl Minus 4.0 is going to be a completely different monster. Look forward to learning more about him soon. Oh, and for one more Ike related bonus...

Eruption
Ike will once again be able to store his charge for Eruption.

Kirby
As mentioned earlier, Kirby's copy abilities are going to have their powers made stronger than ever! Here's a few examples:

Diddy: Peanut Popgun Explosion is now much more powerful
Fox: Kirby can now airdodge anytime during this move
Falco: Jump Cancel Added
Jigglypuff: Start-up speed increased to match Jigglypuff's
Ice Climbers: Kirby now launches 2 Icicles instead of just one.
Meta Knight: Tornado is now cancellable into aerials.
Samus: Uncharged shots now stun foes
Sheik: Kirby's needles now explode like hers does
Toon Link: Kirby can now use all Elemental Arrows, rather than just Fire
Wario: Kirby can now hold his mouth open for as long as Wario can. (That is to say, 1 minute)
Zelda: Kirby can now move while using Nyaru's Love the same way Zelda can.

Meta Knight
Meta Knight in Minus 4.0 will be based on Meta Knight in Brawl Minus MAX, who dishes out moves that don't deal much damage, but have much more notable knockback. He has also had his power adjusted in certain places, so he won't be "dAir the character" like he was in MAX. More to come soon.

Mr. Game & Watch
Chef
Chef has been reworked. Rather than mashing to shoot projectiles endlessly, he can now shoot out several projectiles in a single burst. These projectiles also retain more momentum when moving with Game & Watch.
Chef projectiles no longer hurt Mr. Game & Watch
Mr. Game & Watch can no longer absorb Chef projectiles

Taunt
At the end of each of his taunts, Mr. Game & Watch adds one projectile to his Oil Panic Bucket, as indicated by a flash.

Pichu
Almost all of pichu's moves have been changed in some way or form, giving Pichu a lot of brand new tricks up his metaphorical sleeve. He now has a side special that functions much like MAX Olimar's self toss, as well as having his up special changed to a single dash that's shorter, but much much faster to execute and can be used multiple times in the air without leaving Pichu in special fall, giving Pichu the approaches and chasing ability he was sorely in need of. By far the biggest change is that Pichu can hold the attack or special button for his aerials, smashes, and specials, taking self damage to gain new, powerful abilities. For instance, if Pichu uses his down-special and quickly releases the b-button he'll generate a fast thunderbolt that launches foes upwards, does fairly low damage, and can be cancelled into other moves. But if Pichu holds the b-button he'll instead generate a massive explosion with a small but incredibly powerful sweetspot, taking heavy self damage in the process. Overall we think the new Pichu offers a ton of room for creative and skillful play, and we're really excited to for people to experiment and see what the new Pichu can do! More to come soon!

Pikachu
bAir
You can now cancel bAir 4 frames earlier (from frame 12-8)

Charizard
fAir
fAir will now always knock foes away in the direction Charizard is facing.

R.O.B.
nAir
The hold nAir will be returning in MAX 4.0, but with modified properties
Out of all of the overpowered tools R.O.B. has lost over the last several versions, when looking back this one feels like it would have benefited more from a revision and rebalancing rather than an outright removal.

SideB (Arm Rotor)
R.O.B.Dash removed
While silly, the ROB Dash had some major problems within: Doing it accidentally got you killed when you didn't want to die, and doing it on purpose would usually mean ROB doesn't die but bounce from one side of the screen to the other, giving him a free recovery and completely preventing ROB from being chased.

Samus
Samus has been redesigned to take advantage of features from 2.x.6 and Brawl Minus 3.Q. More details to come!

Sonic
Boost
Boost is being redesigned to function similarly to Palutena's Super Speed in Smash 4, but faster. Much faster.
The hitbox will be restored on the move
Boost will have a 3 second cooldown period where Sonic cannot use Boost again.

Toon Link
Arrows
Arrows now have a 15 second timer
This does two things: Encourages TL to focus on hitting foes more than scattering arrows, and allow foes without much of an answer to eternal arrows get around them. All in all, this change should speed up the pace a little

Wolf
Special Fall now has a little more horizontal momentum, aiding in your recovery

STAGES
Norfair has been readded as an alternate stage to Lavaville. Hold shield while choosing Lavaville to go to Norfair instead!

Rumble Falls

Platforms WAAAAAAAAY DOWN BELOW the stage have been removed to fix an error involving the Ice Climbers

Hope you enjoy your day of love as we from Brawl Minus spread some love to you!

Last edited by a moderator: