Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
I personally feel that Norfair 3.3 should only be included if the SEP returns or if people agree on replacing a certain stage with it. I'm really not a fan of Frigate Orpheon
Also, maybe you could make the lava colored differently to at least visually break the redundancy, like blue or purple. I don't know how difficult it is to do that, though.

NEWB

I'd replace norfair 3.3 with a legal stage or counterpick that no one likes or just add it back with sep if that is possible. I would say replace onett but I also feel that each character should have their own stage in there..

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
haha, why not replace a custom stage slot? i know you guys do that sometimes, and with a .rel you could give a custom stage properties like water or lava or scrolling or whatever.. i've seen some stages like that before on the vault, like the namek stage that replaced fire emblem's castle siege and had water at the bottom on one sequence of it, even though castle siege never has water... speaking of which, why not make that third sequence of castle siege themed to play like the norfair stage you guys are talking about, and make it separate from the other two so there's a stage for each sequence, or maybe theme it to look like a bowser's castle thing if you really want the lava to be a stage hazard part of it?

Thor

I'll clarify a little here:

Kien had no involvement in Norfair 3.3 discussion, that was entirely between Tybis and myself. There is no "It's not happening", but I have concerns. If anyone goes around spreading misinformation like that, ask the dev team and we'll clarify.

At the request of Budget Player_Cadet (the founder of Brawl Minus), Lavaville will always be a part of Brawl Minus, unaltered. This understandably upset Tybis, since he felt it was in the way of Norfair 3.3, but I have concerns about including Norfair 3.3 alongside Lavaville since I feel having two stages having the same lava would be a dab redundant.

But if you guys are okay with that then I'm all for it, so feel free to voice your thoughts on the matter!

I don't care that there are two stages that have lava-y backgrounds. I really want that stage layout, so two lava stages are totally cool with me. If having two lava stages is seriously a concern for you, is there no way to take the layout and reskin it? That isn't, couldn't you make that stage layout and blastzones with a distant planet background, a New Pork City background, a Mute City background, a Shadow Moses Island background [that could be cool-looking actually], or whatever [that would probably mean replacing one of those stages, but we never kept default distant planet or New Pork City anyway, and I don't know how popular original mute city and shadow moses are, which is why I bring them up as well]? Heck, it could be reskinned to look like a custom stage [like with the background one of the three original Brawl custom stages had], that'd be cool with me too.

Stage backgrounds are cool and all, and understandably devs take pride in providing not only a great game experience but a great aesthetic experience as well, but the entire reason I kept calling for Norfair 3.3 wasn't because I loved the lava in the background or whatever, it's because I love the layout of two pretty big platforms and one pretty big base with no hazards and pretty generously-sized blastzones [more often than not, I like big blastzones (and I cannot lie?)].

Also if the founder of Minus wants Lavaville in forever, I'll never ever ask for it to be removed again. I think did that earlier - sorry 'bout that.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
They should bring back one of the other melee chars that weren't in brawl like doc, Mewtwo, or Young Link.
I agree.
I really dislike Project M.
And I can't seem to destroy Pichu and put Mewtwo in it's place.

I pray they finally put in Mewtwo.

I like Roy and Mewtwo.
It would be BETTER if I could keep Pichu and have Roy and Mewtwo added in.

I always feel project M misses the point of "Easy." Mode.
See... Easy is meant to be Easy.
Not bring a bunch big enemies, that take so much damage to beat and stage hazards that mess you over so hard.
Plus, the fact it's so hard to attack. The whole buffer thing is so annoying.
As in. It doesn't feel Fluent. In Brawl Minus, vBrawl and things, I never felt like my attacks weren't regestering.
I really hoped they would take that out of 3.5. But apparently not.

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on about why I hate Project M. But I think control is the most reason.
Plus they took out the ONE thing I liked the most.
Turbo Mode.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
I agree.
I really dislike Project M.
And I can't seem to destroy Pichu and put Mewtwo in it's place.

I pray they finally put in Mewtwo.

I like Roy and Mewtwo.
It would be BETTER if I could keep Pichu and have Roy and Mewtwo added in.

I always feel project M misses the point of "Easy." Mode.
See... Easy is meant to be Easy.
Not bring a bunch big enemies, that take so much damage to beat and stage hazards that mess you over so hard.
Plus, the fact it's so hard to attack. The whole buffer thing is so annoying.
As in. It doesn't feel Fluent. In Brawl Minus, vBrawl and things, I never felt like my attacks weren't regestering.
I really hoped they would take that out of 3.5. But apparently not.

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on about why I hate Project M. But I think control is the most reason.
Plus they took out the ONE thing I liked the most.
Turbo Mode.
I personally like PM, but I only play casually. Is that a bad thing?

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
I personally like PM, but I only play casually. Is that a bad thing?
Of course not. My message was never meant to be towards people who enjoy it.
If you like it, then like it till it no longer lives.

It's merely my personal opinion.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I may be a bit out of the loop -- do we currently have both Smashville and Lavaville in the Stage Roster? If so, and if I recall correctly that Lavaville is just Smashville plus that annoying lava, then ONE of them needs to go.

Personally, I think Lavaville should be switched with Norfair 3.3 if Smashville is included.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Even though it's possible, we can't really do that. The person who started Minus said that when he stepped down, he wanted Lavaville to stay in Minus forever.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I may be a bit out of the loop -- do we currently have both Smashville and Lavaville in the Stage Roster? If so, and if I recall correctly that Lavaville is just Smashville plus that annoying lava, then ONE of them needs to go.

Personally, I think Lavaville should be switched with Norfair 3.3 if Smashville is included.

At the request of Budget Player_Cadet (the founder of Brawl Minus), Lavaville will always be a part of Brawl Minus, unaltered.

Thor

Based on what everyone's said here, has any decision been reached? Lavaville + Norfair 3.3, Norfair 3.3 reskinned as another stage [like Distant Planet or something], or no Norfair 3.3?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
@Pin Clock: I saw your post, I was posting my opinion: Norfair 3.3 is a better stage to include if Smashville is also included. We don't have to agree.
I don't see why the founder of Minus's request is so important if he's not active in development anymore, but that's just me. I think stage variety is more important.
It's a moot point, anyway; it's easy enough to just switch in whatever levels we want.

Norfair 3.3 is just norfair with three plats instead of five but they are larger, right?
I forget the specifics, but my point is that at least Norfair 3.3 is unique. It's redundant to have the same stage take up two slots in the limited space our roster has. The Smashville platform should only appear in one slot.

Here's an idea: Put Lavaville over Smashville, and add Norfair 3.3 back in. The downside is that you have the same lava gimmick and background in two slots, but the upside is that it's easier to delete Lavaville and get the roster the way it should be. If you don't want to delete it outright, you can pop out the SD card at the Stage Select Screen, pick Lavaville, then pop the SD card back in -- you'll load up vanilla Smashville that way.

Since we're not officially using the Stage Expansion code, every stage slot should be unique.

That's my take on it. Not that it matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
@Pin Clock: I saw your post, I was posting my opinion: Norfair 3.3 is a better stage to include if Smashville is also included. We don't have to agree.
I don't see why the founder of Minus's request is so important if he's not active in development anymore, but that's just me. I think stage variety is more important.

Because regardless of if he's currently involved in the game's development or not, if it weren't for him starting the project, there wouldn't be a Brawl Minus to debate the stagelist of to begin with.

If he founded a game that plenty of people such as myself have played and enjoyed over the years, keeping one stage on the stagelist unaltered isn't too much of a request to honor.

Nothing stopping you from putting Norfair 3.3 over it in your personal build, though.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Because regardless of if he's currently involved in the game's development or not, if it weren't for him starting the project, there wouldn't be a Brawl Minus to debate the stagelist of to begin with.

If he founded a game that plenty of people such as myself have played and enjoyed over the years, keeping one stage on the stagelist unaltered isn't too much of a request to honor.
I agree. Where is BPC anyway? I know he's active on Smashboards. Did he get bored of the project or what?

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom

Kien had no involvement in Norfair 3.3 discussion, that was entirely between Tybis and myself. There is no "It's not happening", but I have concerns. If anyone goes around spreading misinformation like that, ask the dev team and we'll clarify.

At the request of Budget Player_Cadet (the founder of Brawl Minus), Lavaville will always be a part of Brawl Minus, unaltered. This understandably upset Tybis, since he felt it was in the way of Norfair 3.3, but I have concerns about including Norfair 3.3 alongside Lavaville since I feel having two stages having the same lava would be a dab redundant.

But if you guys are okay with that then I'm all for it, so feel free to voice your thoughts on the matter!

It was pretty obvious to begin with that people like Norfair 3.3, yet I haven't really heard much noise about Lavaville. Megasaturn, I didn't say it wasn't happening. I stated that there was a stupid explosion of a debate over simply moving a stage over another slot. If I'm not mistaken, Norfair 3.3 was actually using an FD rel so that the Lava wasn't actually a hazard. That said, it may be possible to give it a Brinstar texture and make something cool of it.