Maximum 1.0 Tier List

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
It had to happen. I've been waiting for a time to make a thread about tier lists for Minus. However I couldn't do it until the cast was completed. So, now that Max is out. What do you guys think the tier list should be looking like? I don't play with or against every fighter so I'm a bit too biased to make it on my own. I'd like to see some lists as well as good reasons behind them.

The Tier list that most people seem to agree on and can back up will be placed in the OP.

S Tier
1. Lucario +/- 0

A Tier
2. D3 +/- 0
3. Zelda/Sheik +1
4. Fox +1
5. ROB +1
6. Link -3
7. Wolf +2

B Tier
8. Ganondorf +3
9. Captain Falcon +10
10. Kirby -2
11. Ivysaur +4
12. Ike -2
13. Mario -5
14. Jigglypuff +2
15. Samus -3
16. Donkey Kong +1
17. Bowser +4
18. Snake -5
19. ZSS +9
20. Pit -6
21. Ness -3
22. Metaknight
23. Sonic -3

C Tier
24. Charizard
25. Falco -3
26. G&W -3
27. Toon Link -3
28. Wario -3

D Tier
29. Marth -3
30. ICs -3
31. Peach -2

Currently unranked
Lucas
Squirtle
Diddy
Luigi
Yoshi
Olimar

Jade_Rock

This should be interesting...how balanced would you consider Max?

I feel it's pretty balanced to the point where the tiers would be very close.

NEWB

Uh..... Guys, Zamus isn't maximized. Or was she and there isn't a changelog? Or did the devs forget to include her?

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Hey everybody :3 what do you y'all think of MAX?

personally i still think that lucario, mario, wolf, and shiek are really up there. maybe we shuold wait until after Some online tourney or something? :p lol

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Jade_Rock said:
This should be interesting...how balanced would you consider Max?

I feel it's pretty balanced to the point where the tiers would be very close.

I think it's pretty balanced. Not TOOOOO balanced but I think it's more balanced than any of the other mods aside of Balanced Brawl.

NEWB said:
Uh..... Guys, Zamus isn't maximized. Or was she and there isn't a changelog? Or did the devs forget to include her?

She isn't but I felt like making one anyway. I appreciate any feedback you guys have of course.

Sammi-husky said:
Hey everybody :3 what do you y'all think of MAX?

personally i still think that lucario, mario, wolf, and shiek are really up there. maybe we shuold wait until after Some online tourney or something? :p lol

And sadly online wouldn't be enough but it could work. Anyway. Gonna post my tier list because I was typing it off and on for like 3 hours.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Like I stated before, I haven't used enough characters in enough situations and matchups to make a truly accurate tier list. So this one is just to get things started.

Max Tier
Link- As a Link main I can say that Link seems to have no true weakness. Some could argue that his boomerang being reflected is dangerous, but he can block it to avoid death. His recovery is amazing and his projectiles can all kill fairly easy or lead into deadly combos.

Captain Falcon- I don't play CF, but his speed, mobility, and power make him extremely deadly. Add his ability to spike and a nearly unblockable Falcon Punch with his high speed long distance combo setup Falcon Kick and anyone slower than him has a Falcon Problem.

Zelda- Zelda's biggest weakness is her light weight and fairly predictable recovery. Her MAGIC DRAGONS however aren't easily avoided and they have no real counter. However, she still suffers from laggy easy to read attacks and her close range is lacking. Being able to combo easily and having teleporting as both a mobility tool and combo extender rids her of nearly all of her faults.

Sheik- Zelda's other side. Though not as strong right off the bat, Sheik has many true combos and hit confirms as well as excellent shield pressure. Her aerial game and fast attacks lets her change the flow of battle in a moments notice. One aerial combo could be all it takes.

ROB- ROB seems to be a character who excels in every area but has to be given time to setup first. Against someone who hasn't fought him, this is all it takes to win. He has power, speed, and effective aerials with good range. Unless you know the openings in his attacks, ROB is very hard to deal with.

Ganondorf- Ganon doesn't suffer from horizontal recovery in the least. His old weakness of lacking speed is more than made up for as he can KO most foes in as little as 5 solid hits. What he lacks are combos but he doesn't truly need them. His Gandouken Can be used as one of his few setups but it's ability to be reflected can backfire on him.

Minus Tier
Fox- Not too sure what to say about Fox. He's very unpredictable and has a fast projectile, many approaches, combos, and good power on his finishers.

Lucario- Lucario would've made Max tier on my list but the removal of his ability to super taunt when already at kill percents hinders him slightly. However, he still has much kill power where it counts, amazing recovery, a strong projectile, combo game, quick grabs, and racks up damage quickly. His speed on smashes is what places him here, as many faster characters can outpace our counter what he has in store.

Snake- Snake is an improvement of his Vbrawl self in every way. More powerful attacks and more tricks than he really needed. His only weakness would be his speed. Although he has great stage control, he can be combod fairly easily and his recovery is easily intercepted.

Luigi- Luigi is basically a walking combo machine. He has great range, good priority and tons of options to surprise foes. His recovery is good but easy to stop, and he has no problem scoring KOs. Good air and land game make him a force to be reckoned with.

Wolf- Wolf has great combo game, great recovery, and some pretty solid KO moves. He's difficult to play with though and I feel like this would stop many people from reaching his full potential.

Ike- Ike out-ranges all of the melee fighters easily enough. His power is already frightening, and the ability to go No Sympathy to nearly double his shield damage output as well as add many other changes makes him a challenge. Blocking his attacks is no longer safe and heatwaves can effectively edge guard from a distance. The amount of damage he receives when attacking can be countered by the fact that his Aether heals him 10% on a successful final hit. As for counters... Ike's NS counter canceling into Eruption makes him even more of a powerhouse.

Peach- Peach is a fast and very technical character. She relies solely on pressure and well timed mixups to get around her opponent. She's hard to counter as her attack speed is higher than most and she has deceptively good range on many of her attacks. Her color coded turnips allows her to spend less time trying to guess the damage output and thus speeds up her pressure game even more.

Olimar- Olimar has good range and very high combo potential. He can attack safely from a distance and his only real weakness seems to be his tether recovery.

King Dedede- D3 has many new features that I feel make him one of the hardest characters to fight in the right hands. He can attack with his minions and swarm you if he has good enough control over them. This can lead into ridiculous combos and sometimes he might even get lucky and throw a Garudo at you.

High Tier
Metaknight- Metaknight has been reworked into a character that's actually very versatile. The ability to give characters a beam sword makes him a somewhat risky choice, but his up throw places him here as he can effectively trade stocks if you're aware of the exact percent in which DI won't save your opponent.

Donkey Kong- DK is an insanely powerful character in Minus. His weakness would have to be his recovery and lack of a good projectile unless you count barrels. However, he is susceptible to being meteor smashed and his horizontal recovery move doesn't aid in that area at all.

Toon Link- TL is one of few trap based characters. If he's able to setup then his stage control is absolute. He has everything he needs to score a KO. His arrows are very powerful but luck of the draw makes him an on the fly fighter. His boomerang pops foes up opening them to his great air game.

Ness- Ness has some great abilities but his recovery is a fatal flaw. If he can keep center stage long enough however, this shouldn't be a problem, as he has powerful aerials and quick hitting ground attacks. Stack on his projectile game and absorption and not many people give him much of a problem.

Mario- Mario seems to be a fairly balanced fighter. He has good speed, an excellent projectile that can rack up damage, approach, and chain into combos. He also has a spike, anti projectile move, and FLUDD which can be used to setup or completely screw with recoveries.

Lucas- Lucas has always been a good spacer and Max Lucas is no different. Being able to move with PK fire gives him a great advantage as he can use the move to approach or retreat. He has powerful combos that are hard to avoid but falls short with his easy to prevent recovery.

Yoshi- Yoshi has some destructive combos and overall seems pretty well balanced. Strong projectiles, ranged grabs, good power, and a crazy combo game puts him near the top of high tier.

Marth- I feel like Marth lost his high tier placement in Minus but I could be wrong. The lack of stale moves lowers his spam game from Vbrawl but his elemental dancing blade gives him a bit of an advantage with its effects. He hasn't received any recovery boost and that is where I would say he suffers.

Wario- Wario has power, mobility, and recovery all in one. His crate spawning ability can sometimes backfire on him though if he isn't careful. He does have great combos on the ground and in the air, but he is somewhat easy to outrange.

Pit- Pit is an all around great character. He can combo with the best of them, he has amazing recovery, and an attack for pretty much any situation. Being able to hit with his wings reduces his biggest vulnerability.

Samus- Max Samus was granted a lot of buffs to her range game. I feel like she can actually stand up to Link in ranged combat now. She has decent close ranged attacks as well but knowing when to use what projectile might hold her back in the hands of less thoughtful players.

Sonic- Sonic users have to increase their risk to gain greater rewards. Meaning that Sonic is difficult to KO with unless you risk your own life going for it. His speed make him hard to counteract if the user is skilled enough and he has high combo potential. He also has among the best recovery in the game. However, some of his KO moves have trouble landing and he often has to KO from the top or bottom of the screen.

Pokemon Trainer- Pokemon trainer assuming all 3 pokemon are used, has little weakness that I'm aware of. The ability to change characters into someone with a completely different focus makes their learning curve higher than some characters but if you can learn to use them to their advantages, they are pretty solid.

Zero Suit Samus- not sure what to say about ZSS. Her paralyzer is insane as it travels really far and fast. She's also capable of locking opponents for up to two smashes from what I've seen. Her combos are pretty good so I'm placing her here as her light weight and bad recovery hinder her.

Mid Tier
Falco- Not sure if this is proper or not, Falco is supposed to Pillar but I have no idea how to use him. I've seen that he has great approach and powerful aerials. However, he's relatively slow even though he has okay combos assuming his initial strike connects.

Diddy Kong- Diddy Kong looks to be a simple improvement over his Vbrawl self. He had no real problems on there so he doesn't really have any here. However, everyone else being able to keep up with him has him placed lower on my list.

Ice Climbers- Ice Climbers are a powerful fighter if you know how to use them. From what I've heard though, most people haven't yet gotten the hang of them. They have amazing combo potential and are good at spacing as well. If they do have a weakness it's probably the same as Vbrawl. Nana getting KO'd.

Pikachu- Pikachu feels very good in Max and has a few really powerful tricks up his sleeve. However, he's always been fairly easy to predict and I would say that his Thunder being a spike stops many of his KOs. His air game is great and his specials grant him an advantage over a lot of other characters, but if you can see it coming you can avoid it.

Jigglypuff- This could be completely wrong. I think Jiggly is supposed to have a wall of pain or something with all of her jumps, and I know Sing has increased range. I don't think that's enough to make her tier higher though. She's pretty lightweight and has slowish attacks that are easy to avoid.

Kirby- I'm not sure where Kirby stands so I placed him at the bottom. He doesn't seem much more powerful than Vbrawl Kirby but he has better specials than the actual cast. Other than this I can't really say much about him as I don't play or face any skilled Kirby players.

Glyph

I've updated my previous list based off the experiences I've had playing online with a number of players. I am much more confident that this list captures the current state of minus, but of course there's still a lot of room for improvement. Several characters STILL have not been placed at all as I just don't know enough about them to do it myself. Any and all critique or suggestions are welcomed.

Here we go, previous version in black and recent edits in blue:

S Tier
1. Lucario - Hands down, Lucario is THE best character in the game. This almost exclusively comes from the fact that Lucario is actually rewarded for losing via his passive. A game against a good Lucario is not won until you finish off that last stock, regardless of how many you might have stockpiled yourself because whoops he is a suddenly strong enough to kill you in four hits. On top of that, Lucario's mobility coupled with his instant and on demand invulnerability make this a choice I have a very hard time seeing displaced. These were simpler times. Now we know Lucario can do all that mess, but also jump cancel the end of his double team and immediately go into a second one. And then a third. Or maybe he's rush at you with up-b. Maybe not. It doesn't really matter, Lucario can be outputting damage close to 100% of the match when played correctly. Hope you can space well.

A Tier
2. D3 - I love, love, LOVE the new D3. For the first time, I'm seeing a truly maximized version of a defensive character build. And played right, it is an absolute terror to face. D3's goon squad flat out wins against almost every other projectile, meaning 90% of the time he can give you no other option but to approach. If you're so foolish as to slam into his shield, its a free shield grab, which in turn is a free 18% plus whatever followup he can pull off. Not to mention the intangibility during his grab frames, meaning you physically cannot win that trade if D3 times it correctly. But the Dedede fun is only just beginning. Did you know his minions taunt when he does too????? You can ignore anything else about him, but no one can look the other way knowing THAT. Oh, and I guess turns out a smart D3 uses both Dededecree and his tilts/aerials to slam minions into you at mach 4. They hit so much harder than you'll expect, I promise. Have fun playing the game D3 wants you to, because unless you can outmaneuver a constant stream of hurt you'll never even reach him.

AND WHEN YOU DO HE'LL JUST SHIELD GRAB YOU FOR A FREE 18%.

3. Zelda/Sheik - I really think if ever there was a version of smash where you could benefit from learning both Zelda and Sheik, it would be Minus. Both characters deserve a spot in A tier on their own, much less with the support they give each other. Zelda's ability to space with her aerials/fsmash/ftilt is just disheartening at best, and while I absolutely suck with the teleport mechanic I'm sure mastering that would give Zelda a whole new level of power (plus max out the style meter doing it). A whole side of Zelda I never really expected was how potent her offstage game is.... while she's on the stage. Double din's fire, down tilt, down air, all super deadly and extremely safe for Zelda. Until you've played a Zelda who knows how to position these, you do not know true frustration. Sheik is, and always will be, just a combo machine. Things are going pretty well and suddenly you're getting batted around the stage with tears falling on your controller because damnit how did you lose control like this. I haven't played against a ton of Sheik (and so I am less confident in this particular placement) but I would never write off a Sheik player in tournament. And then my brother started playing sheik more seriously, and I ran into a good one or two online. It is not fun. Sheik can juggle damn near all of the cast by just walking across the stage and ftilting, OR should the mood strike she can jump cancel that tilt into pretty much whatever else. If ever there were any doubt Sheik sat up top, it is gone now. For the record here, I'd put Sheik above Zelda but still maintain that the best way to play is to learn both. It won't come in handy outside of game 1, but just having that option at all is a huge advantage.

4. Fox - Fox I have never really seen played how I would define as 'correctly'. This is because to be a great Fox player you have to not only be good at Minus, you also have to be just as good at melee mechanics. I won't pretend I know much of anything about Fox, but I think Fox has potential to be one of the scariest characters in the game. Where are you, good Fox players???

5. ROB - Stupid good. ROB's neutral air is quite possibly the best aerial in the entire game, hitting hard, all around him, for an extended period of time. A gyro used properly can completely shut down characters that depend on running in at you on the ground, and oh god that laser. A ROB that can consistently land a charged laser will have a hard time losing. Ignoring all of that, ROB has an incredibly aggressive approach in his side-b that can cancel into any aerial (which can be used in the air as well for a recovery aid) as well. Oh yeah and his up-b gives you enough time to safely recover from any distance or chase damn near anywhere without fear. OH WAIT and it also will cancel almost every spike that hits you. Seriously, try to spike ROB and just mash up-b, see how long it takes to actually kill him. I told you so.

6. Link - Its hard to see a character do (I think) 37% in a F-tilt and not put them near the top of the list. Oh and it hits incredibly far away, and moves forward. Best part is, that's just the start of Link's ridiculousness. Strong projectiles, range out the ass, massive damage output, and a straight forward recovery that covers an obscene amount of distance. But Link is slow. Too slow to keep up with some of the more devastating characters in the game, unless you play very very intelligently. Link's recovery also DOES go on for years and years, but its also plain as day where you're going to try to get to and how you're going to do it. It's not easy to hit Link out of it, but it certainly can be done.

7. Wolf - I actually started working on where I thought everyone would be about a week ago, and when I started I actually had Wolf at somewhere like high C Tier. I have since realized Wolf is really really stupid good, once he stops dying incredibly early from how janky his recovery can be at least. I've heard people talk about Wolf having the best recovery in the game, but I wouldn't even come CLOSE to saying that. It travels insanely far, hits hard, and moves really quickly, sure. But the margin for error in the entire process is next to zero. Something seemingly insignificant like cancelling into the wrong aerial out of side-b can put you out of placement for your up-b, meaning you have to correct your course at the last second and whoops sorry that wasn't -quite- where the ledge was looks like you're not going to make it back this time. Wolf's onstage game more than makes up for any shortcomings off though. With a jab combo -> you can reliably dish out I think around 25% at will. I feel Wolf's d-smash leaves a little to be desired in the power department, but as long as his bair kills as reliably as it currently is then Wolf will manage to survive. Wolf ain't no B tier character. Wolf is not easy, but a tier list is not meant to be evaluated at a low or even mid level of skill. A tier list is a representation of competitive play, and a competitive Wolf will chew you up and spit you out before you even realize that first side-b connected. Wolf's ability to walk an opponent across the stage with his jabs (which combo into his lasers), and COMPLETELY shut down a massive amount of approaches against him (again with his dumb lasers) make Wolf someone you'll likely find hiding under your bed late at night, just waiting for you to slumber off so he can shoot you in your face again with HIS LASERS am I communicating enough how good his lasers are because they are great.

Lets recap: 1. Jab combo into laser = bunch of easy free damage (and looks sexy as hell) 2. Side-b into aerials provides tons of mobility fairly safely (you're only really open BEFORE the move actually starts) 3. When you do your howl taunt the crowd automatically cheers. A tier.

B Tier
8. Ganon - Not a whole lot to say about Ganon that's not immediately apparent at a glance. Well above average recovery. Super hard hitting, with moves that come out quickly like u-air and wizard's foot. A big fatty who takes a while to kill. An unblockable projectile. Ganon is good. I knew Ganon was good going into this, but not the extent of it. Funny thing is, the things I knew made Ganon good are still the same, they just can be applied so much more effectively than I previously did. Thats not to say there's not new things to consider here either though! I've seen a Ganon catch me offstage with flame choke, decide 'nah wait I have low damage, I don't want to lose this stock yet', press A to cancel out of it, and then proceed to catch me with his up-b, spiking me to my death while he lazily floated back onto the stage.

9. Captain Falcon - I am very biased with this placement as a ROB main. Gyro and laser ruin all of falcon's approaches. Fair beats all of falcon's appoaches. ROB's approach beats falcon's defense. I do not know where to even start to put him so here he is in the middle somewhere. I still stand by what I've said before, but even with ROB's ability to shut down a lot of Falcon's approaches all he needs is that one falcon kick to get things rolling. I did not know that Falcon players would be able to land two knees sequentially, and that it meant death at even modest percentages. The short hop at the end of falcon kick comboing into aerials is crazy strong. Falcon players, I am sorry, and have seen the light.

Or maybe that was his nipples, I'm not really sure.

10. Kirby - I am hovering between putting Kirby at the bottom of A tier or the top of B tier, but either way I think Kirby is a goddamn monster. Kirby has enough mixups in his game with stuff like the inhale -> grab or secondary d-tilt that you never feel like there's a set move you should be doing, its just up to your whims. Kirby's air game is short ranged, but once you get something going everything tends to just fall right into place very organically. I personally believe Kirby has possibly the strongest gimping game available as well with his down air, especially considering how little a factor the opponent's percentage is when you land it against a character with a predictable or low vertical movement recovery. Funnily enough, my opinion of Kirby has only gotten better since I first posted this list. Kirby hits hard, combos fluidly, and inhale/grab catches a lot of people off guard. Not only that, but inhale offstage is incredibly lethal. BUT, Kirby's not an A Tier character. His NEED to be close to his opponent (wow clingy much) really hinders him in the heat of battle, when you have to really work hard to catch your opponent slipping up while they can just wait for you to approach and react from there.

11. Ivysaur - Ain't no one space quite like Ivysaur. Her bair is stupid good, hitting far enough away to keep almost any character at bay and hitting often enough to make it difficult to time if you want to get through it. I personally feel Ivysaur's excels most while an opponent is above her though. Uair hits with a range that you just don't see in any very many other moves, in fact it might be the single largest attack in the game (its at least up there). It will seem like its not doing much damage at a glance (outside of the sweetspot, which is a fantastic finishing move as d-throw often combos into it) but the sheer size of the attack with the flower effect mean you'll likely land at least two while an enemy is above you, and possibly more if you can abuse a platform. Razor leaf's critical hit is amazing. At random you'll just get a free kill, and even when its not a crit it at least does 10 damage and can wreck havoc on a shield. And then we got Ivy's new down-b in the air. I was almost giving up on the ol' girl before that, but its given her new life in the form of an edgeguarding technique that's surprisingly safe and MASSIVE. When positioned right, you'll not only cover the entire ledge but also the part of the ledge they would be able to land on to punish you. This means they can either - eat the hit or - somehow recover around it if they have a good recovery. Once Ivysaur gets a little bit of steam, its too easy to suddenly realize you've done 80% and have no plans of slowing down.

12. Ike - If you make it into no sympathy mode, any counter is a guaranteed full charge eruption hit. Eruption kills at like, what, 50% on most stages/characters? Maybe a little bit more? Ike is very much not quite mobile enough to be A Tier (tons of horizontal but very little vertical), which in my opinion makes this a very matchup dependent character. Anyone that has a solid answer to Ike's 'rush in and whack you with my sword' strategy can more often than not control the pace of the game at will. Especially when something as easy as Falco's lasers mean Ike has to resort to his fairly slow air movement/running animation, it makes it difficult to get any steam built up. But then there's the guys who just don't really have anything to keep Ike away, and its a bloodbath. Side-b -> jab combo puts so much pressure on the shield so safely that its practically all you need some games. See above. Ike doesn't have a ton of depth to him, but that doesn't mean he's not one of the best.

13. Mario - This placement is almost 100% on faith. I have heard people talk a LOT about how good Mario is, and I don't know enough about Mario to disprove it so here he is in A Tier congrats Mario you did it! Thankfully now I've had the pleasure of playing a handful of pretty good Marios and finally get the idea of the hype. I believe Mario's viability stems from his dair, almost entirely really. Without that being such a massive tool in linking together combos at will and allowing you MASSIVE windows to finish, Mario wouldn't honestly be that much of a terror. Fireball approach is ok, but nothing backing up and getting in the air doesn't beat out. Dash attack suffers from the same problems, just get above him and its nothing to be concerned about at all.

One thing I'd like to say to all those Mario players out there too, make sure you REALLY want your opponent offstage with you before you use your down-b. Just because you can pull that Ganon out there doesn't mean he's not waiting for you to start it up so he can smack you in the face.

14. Jigglypuff - Jigglypuff is a character I can see doing very well, but I feel is just too light to really excel in a world where most characters only need a few hits to KO her. Her aerials are great, but still will lose to anyone with a decent spacing ability if they know what to watch for. Rest is a great move, healing and killing pretty reliably... if you land it. Even the best jigglypuff player in the world will not land 100% of the rests they attempt, meaning every blue moon you're going to whiff and that's a death sentence against someone as light as her. I have seen exactly one good Jigglypuff, but the things I've seen are enough to make me wonder what that pink ball can do. Thunderpunch hits crazy hard, but what's really caught my eye is the gravity taunt. You're mobile during it, AND it affects people offstage recovering, AND it cancels into sing meaning it combos into rest. I am watching for a Jigglypuff to make waves.

15. Samus - Not really confident on this placement. Used to love Samus, haven't liked her since the Max update where she lost her Fair. Not sure exactly what changed but she just felt different. Based on how good the old Samus was, I'd be shocked to see her fall any lower than this.

16. Donkey Kong - I used to think DK was an easy, easy lock for A Tier. In a time before my friends could understand how to approach, you just needed to swat at everyone with your tilts that hit half a world away and finish with one of your stupid strong smashes. But once you learn how to approach a DK, the battle is already over. Barrels are a neat touch, but have very little place in a competitive match. Thats not to say they NEVER have a use, but considering how broadcast the attack is and the problem that simply attacking it sends it right back into DK's face make its reliability less than stellar. Which is why a good DK will never throw a barrel at you in game. He'll rely on his fast and combo-starting jab, and then follow up with whatever he feels like. This jab makes DK much harder to approach, but not THAT much harder. Enough to make me feel he's not high enough on the list at least.

17. Bowser - Heavy, hard hitting, and coated in a nougaty layer of super armor to keep him safe on most attacks. Bowser on paper is a beast to be reckoned with, but in execution I feel he falls apart. He's just too big of a target, and not all that tricky to space against. Super armor is great when an opponent doesn't expect it, but once you're well versed in his moveset you just wait it out and win. Bowser's neutral b is brimming with power, but its just not too difficult to be on the ground while he's on the air or in the air while he's on the ground. Bowser's a big slow fatty. Just keep his moves in mind and things should go pretty ok. On paper, yes what I said makes sense. In execution, its far from simple to dodge all of Bowser's B grabs as goddamnit they're going to be coming at you at every chance he gets. Not to mention Bowser is just a big fatty. Killing him is a CHORE, and gimping him is surprisingly difficult when he can catch any attacks that don't come from directly above or below with his aerial B.

18. Snake - Snake's greatest strength lies in his obscene weight coupled with his often frustrating-to-defend recovery. A smart snake simply recovers as high as he can and airdodges or slams through opponents with his heavy hitting aerials. You know what, actually forget that. Snake's recovery is a great part of his kit, but his true power comes from his ability to fight an opponent at any given distance. If snake is given a few moments to set up, you could have to contend with 1. motion sensor bombs 2. grenades 3. missiles fired straight up and coming back down 4. missiles fired right at your big ugly face 5. snake's down b 6. snake's d-smash 7. snake's f-smash. Snake's close range is not much safer either, with terrifying tilts and the option of grenade shielding to punish anyone who manages to navigate your minefield.

19. Zero Suit Samus - There is a reason people are clamoring for a Max update. She is not a very reliable character to play as, and I think a lot of that falls on just how weak tether recoveries are when almost every character has some means of knocking you down and away from the stage. BZZZZZT! Wrong Answer! Despite not having a Max update, ZSS is by no means someone to be dismissed. She is all over the place, all the time, with a fast projectile that is a combo starter and disjointed hitboxes that kill fairly reliably. A good Zamus is not easy to gimp, as I would have assumed. I can recall a specific instance where I managed to hit her down with Kirby's Dair, and was rushing back to the ledge just to be EXTRA sure she wouldn't be able to grapple onto it. From the bottom of the blast line, she STILL managed to beat me to it and get back safely. She moves FAST. Then her Bair hit me offstage, and turns out she has POWER too. Still in the end a very light character with a grapple recovery, which is why she's not higher on the list but most certainly not deserving of as low of a placement as she previously had.

20. Pit - Maybe not after recent nerfs????

21. Ness - Ness is a good character. Not great, good. Gone are the days of a single PK fire meaning you had pretty much free reign, as is the era of a fair that would eat through anything in front of it. Ness is still very much a powerhouse character, with a stupid good stomp and interesting aerial mobility with his jump cancels (not sure what its actually called when you cancel your double jump into an aerial). Outside of Ness' air game, he really doesn't do much to impress me though. His ground game seems mediocre at best, with both his up and down smashes being slow as molasses to actually start hitting (excluding the charge hitbox on the yo-yo but if you're hitting that your opponent doesn't know how to play against Ness) and a F-smash thats only good when spaced correctly. I think.

22. MK - MK is a much better character than I anticipated, with a damn near unlimited recovery thanks to full access to all 4 of his B moves. Not only that, but he combos well, and kills moderately early on. But as long as he's as light as he is and minus characters have such ridiculous knockback across the board, he'll never be much of a real threat. I welcome the day someone proves me wrong on this, but I don't see it coming any time soon.

23. Sonic - Sonic I see as a worse version of Fox. You can be anywhere you want at a millisecond's notice, but I just never really feel afraid playing a Sonic. He's fast, but still fairly predictable with his options. Show me a good Sonic player who can fully control where he is using his side-b and I'll show you someone I am scared shitless to play against. One day a true Sonic master will show up and we'll all be too slow and he'll laugh and laugh and we'll just lose and lose. But til then he's staying put down here.

C Tier
24. Charizard - I really struggled with where to place our favorite fire dragon, but honestly as much as I'd like to put him into B Tier I just don't see it there. He's so slow on both the ground and in the air outside of his glide (which if you get hit by you deserve to lose to Charizard, just block and try to roll when he comes in hot) that even with the crazy range on his Fair you'll just eat the 3% you get at max range and then rush in during the endlag since there's no hitstun at a distance. Rocks are a really cool tool, but cancelled out by smashing them. The one thing I will say Charizard has that is just GREAT is his down throw. Awesome knockback angle, good damage, great grab range and speed, its all there. Charizard also has a really nifty nair that can combo into itself when done correctly, for a pleasant 15% a pop. The fact that the hitbox starts behind you coupled with the grab out front make Charizard one of the better OoS characters in the game.

25. Falco - Falco is not a bad character. I am bad with Falco, and really REALLY have a hard time seeing how he is supposed to land kills. Against some characters its easy, but against others (see: ROB) you will struggle to kill him before 200% every single stock. I still think his new reflector is terrible compared to his old one as well, as by the time the actual hits start you can just throw up your shield or even just jab falco and the whole move is a moot point. Before, it was a powerful poke tool that hit up to start combos or even extend a combo as an opponent slipped away. All in all he just lacks the moveset to make him a truly scary minus character.

26. G&W - Hits hard, dies early. Not great range. Same as any minus character, he could be played very well and be a real threat but on the whole he just isn't quite on par.

27. Toon Link - Worse version of the big Link imo. Using arrows for stage control is really cool, but also very easy to avoid and even easier to remove with a d-tilt or most anything that would hit it.

28. Wario - Perhaps the character that feels the most like vBrawl, outside of Squirtle. He's good, honestly probably better than I have him right now. But I just don't see it yet. One day I'm sure I'll see a good Wario and it'll all come together but until then I'm pretty content with him here.

D Tier
29. Marth - This is a choice I expect to see some backlash from. 'Marth is great! Look at how easy it is to land a tipper! His dair is insane!' And yeah, both those statements are right on the money. But in the great big world of minus, ask yourself if a tipper is really that scary of a move. I'd be much more afraid of a TON of other attacks, attacks that hit harder without requiring you to space it at all. Not to mention that Marth's aerial game is good, but one dimensional. You can either approach with fair/nair, or cancel a neutral b into some other aerial. Marth juggles well, but no where near as well as some other characters thanks to his limited mobility in the air. Marth also suffers from a very predictable recovery and innate weakness to any ranged character.

30. Ice Climbers - I don't get what they do without chain throws that any other character doesn't do significantly better. Desync's are neat but also tend to get Nana murdered and then gosh don't you look a fool all alone out there.

31. Peach - I think Peach is just awful. I think she loses a lot on the ground. I think she loses a lot in the air. I think she has a lackluster projectile that now broadcasts when its actually dangerous, making it even easier to avoid or even catch and toss back. Peach also has a distinct lack of a resounding kill move outside of her U-Smash and Nair/Fair (unless I'm mistaken). Peach has some really cool mix-ups with cancelling her side-b into aerials. Makes her very erratic and difficult to catch... but she still just doesn't quite have that killing power she needs.

List format

S Tier
1. Lucario +/- 0

A Tier
2. D3 +/- 0
3. Zelda/Sheik +1
4. Fox +1
5. ROB +1
6. Link -3
7. Wolf +2

B Tier
8. Ganon +3
9. Captain Falcon +10
10. Kirby -2
11. Ivysaur +4
12. Ike -2
13. Mario -5
14. Jigglypuff +2
15. Samus -3
16. Donkey Kong +1
17. Bowser +4
18. Snake -5
19. ZSS +9
20. Pit -6
21. Ness -3
22. MK (previously unranked)
23. Sonic -3

C Tier
24. Charizard (Previously unranked)
25. Falco -3
26. G&W -3
27. Toon Link -3
28. Wario -3

D Tier
29. Marth -3
30. ICs -3
31. Peach -2

Currently unranked
Lucas
Squirtly
Diddy
Luigi
Yoshi
Olimar

Ph0x3h

Oh boy! Opinion time? Yippee! Well as you can probably already know, Minus is a great deal more balanced than vbrawl, NOT BECAUSE every character gets a significant buff to offenses, but the increased mobility allows for more players to play with more characters without the clunkiness. Like some charcaters like Ganondorf in vbrawl were god awful in literally every single way because they were just so god damn clunky and hard to move around. In minus, it was fixed with greater mobility tools and now Ganon is a fucking beast. But anyways, here's my list with a few reasons why they should be in said spot.

God tier

Lucario: Pros include incredible mobility, an instant changeable dodge in the form of downb, aura mechanics, ultrataunt, aerials grabs, nasty combos both on the ground and in the air, throws that are highly useful, easy setups, chargeable AND spammable projectile and finishers that are more than reliable. This guy's got it all in terms of offensive prowess. Cons include lightweight? He really doesn't have a lot bad going for him other than a spammy Lucario is an easy lucario. Mix things up a bit and you'll be golden.

Mario: I don't see anyone else putting this guy up here, but I sure as hell with because I believe it. He's the epitome of balance and should be the MASCOT of MAX as he rightfully is the main guy after all. Pros include FIREBALLS for pressure and keepaway, FLUDD for "get the heck over here" and various off stage shenanigans, tilts are ALL useful for combos, smashes are powerful, grabs are DEADLY, reflector cape for edge-guarding, aerial game is disgustingly good, recovery is fan-flipping-tastic what with the jump+dair AND two upbs, dash attack makes mobility incredibly fast on ground, meteor's like a boss and the piece de la resistance is his dair cancels into literally any of his aerials INCLUDING footstool. Cons include absolutely nothing. I cannot fathom a negative on Mario (except maybe his metal is easily exploitable)... EVEN HIS MUSTACHE IS PERFECT.

Marth: Pros include sword, disjointed hitboxes, excellent approach tool in his neutral b, side b is hella useful and mostly reliable, counter, excellent recovery (thought not perfect), nice combos, powerful spike, dangerous tippers that aren't very hard to land, great mobility. Cons include weight and size kind of make him a little easy to deal with/combo and has slight difficulty with characters with great keepaway game.

Captain Falcon: This guy... Literally EVERYTHING combos into SOMETHING ELSE that combos into KNEE OF JUSTICE. That is literally the best pro of this guy. Just to amuse you though, I'll go through a list of other things that make this mofo a piece of the shining sun that you hope never touches you. He's incredibly fast, incredibly powerful, his grabs allow for many followups, beautiful metoer in a couple forms, people say his recovery is bad, but I will disagree and say that he has a fantastic recovery depending on where he is, he says screw you to projectiles with his sideb. Cons, but not really cons are his vulnerability to projectiles. He can often just weave around them anyways.

Toon Link: Toon link's keepaway game make him so incredibly deadly when used in the right hands that I give him a spot in god tier. He's fast, mobile, has a good recovery, insane keepaway game, excellent stage control, unbelievable grab range AND duration, his upthrow is a good kill move, dthrow destroys most characters at 80% or more on the edge of the stage, bombs can be thrown upwards to force the opponent to have one more thing to think about, boomerang makes it hard to approach TL, aerial hookshot is great for continuing combos that would otherwise be just out of reach, smash attacks deal a respectable amount of damage and all kill at 100+% (which is very easy to rack up on bombs and arrows alone), has great ground potential for a character with such use for projectiles and is adorable. Cons include not much. Maybe easy to gimp, performs far better at a distance and then coming close for the finish. Other than that, he's awesome and deserves to be here.

Pikachu: This little rodent... This LITTLE rodent... Unbelievable. He haunts my dreams. Notable for being so incredibly mobile, he can be anywhere and rain thunder wherever he pleases. Overrunning opponents is his specialty. Pros include deadly fast speed, small size, an adorably annoying jab, tilts that are good for giving the little guy space/starting combos, combos very easily, grabs are so versatile I don't know where to start, arguably the best neutral b projectile of any character with its knockback and unpredictability, aerial combos are a cinch with uair/bair/nair, upb is so good and cancels into anything when landing, a chargable death cannon for those times when fsmash owns a shield into breaking, excellent smashes with high priority, a spike that isn't too bad, and thunder which is the most deadly move on the set if used properly. Can control where and when characters do anything offstage and predict everything else accordingly. neutral b is good for cutting off options too. The ppossibilities are endless and lightnning fast with this thing. Cons include light and that's about it.

MAX tier
As I move down the tiers I'll have less to describe as they usually don't anyways.

Link: Very close to God tier but not quite there. Still has a slight bit of heavy character syndrome and feels slightly weighted. But overall he's got similar pros to TL with slightly less viable recovery.

Luigi: ANNOYING AS HELL. All his attacks have nasty priority and his aerial mobility just makes him a nightmare.

Ike: Guy's a powerhouse. And with the inclusion of canceling quick draw into basically anything, he's a monster at approaching and running right through you like a truck if you're not ready. Great priority, nice range, excellent recovery and a counter eruption combo that will make a button-masher think twice, he's quite high on the list.

Snake: With about 100 different explosives to choose from, he's got the stage covered from ledge to ledge with stage control. DACUS allows him to spit out mortars everywhere and move extremely fast. Grabs are amazing and apart from that, he's got a nice recovery if you know what you're doing.

Meta Knight: Doesn't deserve his top spot like vbrawl. Sorry bro, but you're sitting down on the MAX bench for now. He's a pretty balanced character as it is. A lot of options makes a player need to know what they're doing.

Wolf: He's a monster on the offense and a poor little puppy when he's being easily juggled and destroyed. He's literally the two sides of the spectrum.

Ganon: This monster's offensive prowess MORE than makes up for his shortcomings. Instant kill move, good approaches in downb and sideb, dirty combos that are 60% plus if done right, amazingly good recovery, crazy grabs and even a projectile, this guy's awesome. Only thing is he's big, bulky and easy to combo. If you're good with handling a little weight, you'll be a legend with Ganondorf.

Bowser: I think bowser deserves his own tier inbetween Minus and MAX tier because honestly, he's on the border of both of them for me. The tools he has puts him WAAAAY high in my mind but his sheer size in a largely offensive game bring him down quite a bit. Double edged sword really. All his attacks are fucking amazing and his combos can easily go from 0 to 80 or even death, but the same can be said in reverse.

Minus Tier
This one's a little bit more watered down with characters that are pretty good, but not super great. Again, all personal experience.

Samus: She's got a lot of good stuff, it's just a little hard to piece it together sometimes. The synergy between her moves makes it a tiny bit difficult to comfortably make things happen. A good player would make it shine though. Lots of keepaway.

DDD: Amazing character. Awesome mechanics, great body, super sexy voice, he's got it all. It's just he's too easy to approach and doesn't have a huge repitoire of options to deal with close combat aside from throws, jabs and tilts. His smashes feel useless as they are now, but come on... the DDDecree is seriously awesome.

Fox: Great options, good combo potential, excellent mobility and powerful finishers. Also very fragile and dies if anything breathes on him. Great trade off imo.

Falco: You guys tried, but as he is now, he feels incomplete. His combo power is great, but his killing power is pathetic. Side smash, upsmash are the only high percentage killing moves he's got. Gimping is definitely his specialty though. Don't want to be caught offstage with this guy... Still a very deadly character.

DK: Kickass. Powerful, good combo potential, amazing range for melee attacks, charging b is so easy and fast, barrels make things hella interesting, very good edge gameand a whopping 3 meteors make him terrifying when trying to get back on stage. He's just a big target and gets thrown around pretty easy.

Everyone else Tier

Yeah, everyone else I feel is too gimmicky or annoying to put into great detail about them.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Liking Glyph's tier list so far. I don't 100% agree with it though. I think it might be the closest to accurate in some ways.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Really liking your tier list now Glyph. I'm gonna post it in the OP. I think MK might be a bit more deadly than you say, but high B tier seems fitting for him.

my input for unranked characters:

Diddy- is high B tier at least. bananas are still bananas and as useful as ever. a trip in vbrawl could lead to a solid three-four hit combo, diddy's increased speed and lack of lag after aerials (namely down and forward) can make for a nice string of moves leading to what has become a much easier to land meteor or a very powerful fair gimp. his power might be a little below average but his speed, trips, strong throws and reliable gimps make him pretty dangerous. high B/low A.

Olimar- still a very powerful character. lots of moves that combo into themselves, and eventually create a nice vertical or horizontal chase. lack of the old pikmin throw offset by a ridiculous fsmash (that also combos into itself and can be tech-chased for even more followup) and the sudden ability to recover with a spammable up-b!, cancellable side-b leap, or the seventh neutral b which gives olimar quite a lot of lift, and is pretty powerful an attack.. for a whistle. olimar can control a lot of the screen still, adding offstage prowess gives him even more potential. low A tier.

Luigi- powerful, great combo potential. useful, spammable fireballs. effective recovery options. great speed on the ground. no reach in his moveset. can have serious problems against disjointed characters (link and ike come to mind). but one landed move can lead to a lot of damage. good mobility in the air but a little slow. sliding in shield makes it difficult to punish. still a pretty good character and capable of taking stocks quickly. low B/high C.

Yoshi- endurance, super armor, good keepaway game with effective projectiles. i hear he's been nerfed and, not having played the older version of yoshi, i would say that's probably a good thing. kills in what feels like very few moves, while taking forever to die himself. extremely difficult to gimp with the armored jumps. not a great yoshi player, but can win with him against most characters. side b cancels probably have some serious potential. so much power, good speed. that shield will always cause problems but.. very uneducated projection of high A tier.

Squirtle- aerial down b addition sure is useful. still easy to combo with, overwhelming speed. great grab range and good throws. can really mix it up and move a character off the stage with little effort. kills way better than vbrawl. still an extreme lightweight. somewhere in B tier.

Lucas- awkward, laggy. bad recovery. powerful as heck. great aerials. i know very little about playing as him, but know he can be beaten fairly easily if you can avoid a few moves (usmash of course, dsmash/dair as well), stay at/approach from an angle (he's very linear outside of short-reach aerials), and gimp him. high C.

and just one more thing: am i the only person who thinks Peach looks very out of place at the BOTTOM OF THE LIST?

Peach- side b cancels are better for mind games than attacks, but dash attack cancel is extremely useful. turnips are all about timing, luck, and proximity, but even a weak one can lead to a nice series of attacks. buff to floating, excellent air mobility and fast, slightly disjointed aerial poke moves make for good approach and gimping options, dmash as a triptrap, actual finishers unlike vbrawl, a good counter, surprising endurance. come on. she's at least a C.

more to come. i mean, seriously Link IS slow but his arsenal of super-powered projectiles isn't. try escaping him without four stories of platforms. top tier.

yeah, more later.

Glyph

I can see where you're coming from with pretty much all of those, except actually Olimar. I STILL just don't really know what a good Olimar does. Is there a video floating around out there that might enlighten me some?

The Peach stuff is a tricky subject, because technically yes she IS a good character. But Peach will always have to work harder than her opponent to win a game. You have to be dancing around the screen constantly, crossing your fingers that you pull a decent item, AND you won't even be able to consistently kill even mid-weight opponents until 150% or so. For a character her weight and lower end damage output, thats just not good.

Link I think is just about exactly where he deserves to be. He absolutely without a doubt is an A Tier character, but he's not at the top of A Tier either. I can see him maybe a place or two higher, but nothing more than that.

if peach keeps moving, keeps spacing, poking, retreating she can pressure and rack damage pretty well. difficulty KOing is an issue, but fair and fsmash, even sweetspotted usmash can get a KO before 150. she does have to work, but i think that's pretty fun and there's a lot of potential in her new attack speed, and i think the ceiling for potential is the basis for tier placement. i really think she's at least mid-tier. B or C.
and unlike the IC's, and to a lesser extent, Marth, she actually feels pretty minusy and somewhat maxed.

no videos of olimar, yet. but.. if he lands an upsmash, he can just chase them to the roof with up airs, whistle, up b. he can also hit multiple times with fsmash and take advantage of the stun, chasing them off the stage. similar to luigi, he's hard to escape. but unlike luigi, he has good reach. his ability to get around in the air is something he didn't have in vbrawl. it aids in defense and recovery (which is amazing now). and it can help keep combos going for a long time.. cancelling sideb to catch a flying opponent, nair, fair, fair, uair, and/or landing an offstage upb or dair, upsmash with a white pikmin (a meteor) at the ledge.... oh, and that grab range, with armor now. increased range on dash grabs. great throws, easily followed.
i was confused by him at first (not like 2.x, what was that?), but i think he has amazing potential. getting the feel for what each pikmin does is essential.

yeah..
i hope what i just typed makes some sort of sense.

more input to come. mainly, my arguments for ROB and Link being in S tier with Lucario.
seriously.
ROB edges Link who edges Lucario who edges ROB.
no one else is quite at their level.

Ph0x3h

Whaaaaat? Marth is seriously in the lowest tier? What Marths have you played recently man? That's disgusting. His mobility with the cancelable B into anything is more than enough to do some serious damage. He's arguably one of the more powerful characters. His side b is deadly, recovery is astounding and has amazing kill and combo potential. He deserves higher than that. Absolutely.

Glyph

You just described every character in minus though. They ALL do that, and marth really just doesn't do it as well as other people. His approach is obvious and takes a second to start up (making it very easy to just block or roll out of the way). His aerials are great, but none have the 'wow' kill power you'll see on a lot of other characters.

Remember, SOMEONE's gotta be at the bottom. Everyone in minus is viable, but I would argue that Marth and Peach are just some of the harder ones to use at a competitive level.

Following up on that, I'm curious to hear who you guys -would- put into D Tier if not them.

Ph0x3h

God I wish I could online play... I'd show you just how crazy Marth can be. My bro absolutely hates when I play marth (And my bro is good enough to keep up with my Mario (Number one fan right here)) and that says something. The projectiles aren't much of a problem because marth can transition in and out of range with little effort. His ability to place himself where he wants VERY FAST is nearly unrivaled by the other characters (Sonic and fox being faster, but harder to control). Being able to jump cancel a neutral b in the air can provide mixups and mindgames galore. Tips are for killing, the rest is for racking up damage as they have little knockback.

It blows my mind that you'd put the entire cast above him. Talk about opinions... Jeez.

Glyph

If you disagree I'd love to be proven wrong. Get your buns online mayne, or just get a capture card and record locally.

Ph0x3h

Sadly, I moved out and am no longer in possession of the Wii to use. I realize this makes me all bark and seemingly no bite, but when I one day am indeed able to capture something or go online, things will be proven. I'll try to visit my bro and record some matches for you to see.

NEWB

I myself am not an amazingly good Marth, but I know two marth players that are frighteningly good and are pretty good at juggling me to death. And that fsmash! You know how tilting it can move Marth forward or backwards, right? It's a terror! Tipping with that move is easy, and his specials are really good. That guy is at least b tier.

I also think that having four tier levels is rediculous. Minus is not that imbalanced. What the hell have are devs been doing if that was truly the case? We are in desperate need of more players. 10 or so people aren't enough to construct a tier list, but what do I know? It does have to start somewhere.

Glyph

I've noticed that the only character not getting any complaints about being in D Tier is the Ice Climbers. What should be done to make them feel a bit more ... minus-y?

NEWB

They have a good moveset, but no one has figured out how to use them effectively. There recovery is also terrible because it leaves them open and is a kind of a tether recovery. They are also separated easily in the environment of minus. I don't think there is any help for them. Nana and popo need to become combined or something. Or nana needs to always spawn with a taunt.

Ph0x3h

I remember suggesting that we use the up b as a range tool. Canceling it into aerials for some serious range and even allowing a shield cancel to essentially "Summon" Nana back to popo's side.

Is that really hard to do?