Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

NEWB

The comments aren't that mixed. Generally, everyone that said something liked it, a couple have never heard of it, and only two people complained about nerfs in the recent patches.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
Here is ultimately what I think of 4.0 so far:
Ganondorf
Dash Attack
Ganondorf now has a new attack if you hold A whle dash attacking, called the Gerudo Dragon, named after his side special in Melee.
It comes out the same speed as his normal dash attack, but works better for ground-to-air combos than his normal dash attack. However, this attack doesn't have the Super Armor his normal dash attack does, so be careful when using it!

Jigglypuff

uAir
Reverted to 2.x.6 with a slight change in angle
This is to restore the move's upwards knockback while preventing the key flaw of 2.x.6 Jigglypuff: uAir uAir uAir Rest

dAir
Reverted to 2.x.6
citizen_kane_clapping_2.gif

Jigglypuff
Amount of jumps restored to 6

Thor

The reason it was changed back to six was because Jiggs had no risk in her air game.

I have successfully gimped Jiggs before, but that was as Falco (dair is good), so yeah there's basically no risk against like everyone else in the cast.

NEWB

It's not simply about being able to gimp her. When the opponent is offstage, she can apply constant pressure without risking her life very much.

Pikmin1211

Pikmin Sergeant.
Exciting, but no new stage news of course.
Also lol @ the Dedede sm4sh reference. RIP Jiggly's jumps.
And plz fix Roy's announcer call. It sounds so bad.

Thor

I would like an answer to just one question: Brawl Minus 4.0 to be released in 2014 or 2015?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
omj ded yu guuyze sea teh nyoo sooper smach bruthurz fore wee yoo?? O.O SEW AMAYSYNG

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I would like an answer to just one question: Brawl Minus 4.0 to be released in 2014 or 2015?

Definitely 2015.

Main reason there's no date as of yet is because we don't have a few important things done yet, and don't want to rush the game out without making sure everything works properly.

Jade_Rock

Came here after like 2-3 months and find 4.0 announced cool!
Definitely 2015.

Main reason there's no date as of yet is because we don't have a few important things done yet, and don't want to rush the game out without making sure everything works properly.
:( Was hoping to play before school starts up again.

NEWB

Meh. Can't be helped. In the meantime, check out kien's custom build. It has some of these changes already.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I'm not quite sure, since it does technically serve a function. It's one way you can exit NS mode as ike. Thing is, you technicaly shouldn't ever have to exit NS mode. It's technically possible to play as normal and not get hit. And quite frankly it should be simple enough to use it with counter or aether as they are easy to land. Heck, you could even just taunt to ditch NS mode.

The weird thing with NS mode is that it rewards you for doing well. NS mode is a reward in and of itself but we have people who would rather have no reward that gives self damage to ike, so ike was given super attacks to end NS mode.

But now that I think about it, NS mode kinda seems all wrong to me. It takes 75% damage dealt by his sword to enter NS mode. Ike has basically just did a zero to death combo and then gets rewarded handsomely. Doesn't that concept seem completely off to you? The reward should be that you are now up a stock for playing well, like with every other character.

Edit: Can everyone get a NS mode? It's doesn't have to be ike exclusive but that would be a cooler thing to do than to remove it on ike.

Ike won't get 75% on a good DIing player. And most Ike's who can actually land 75% combos do so with crouch canceled jabs, meaning not sword attacks. There was a time where Mech and I wanted to give everyone in Minus supers. Pin wasn't okay with that so we dropped the idea. Although I still did think of a lot of supers... I never got around to coding them.

1) I got bored of how easy it was to kill people with the ridiculous hitstun when it became far more noticeable after having gotten used to Smash 4. It's nothing but artificial combos to me, since some chars take advantage of it better than others. It devolves into something less skillful; first to get hit reaches 60+% or death, depending on the char's abilities. That, to me, is no longer fun.

2) Lucario is the strongest still, and the only reason ROB took the most spotlight is because he was easier to abuse. ROB was toned down many times, whereas Lucario was only really given a few, leaving some of the more bullshit things still in place, like the self-damage to gain power easily, the AMOUNT of power he gets through his aura, and his ridiculous combo potential through his "weak" quick attacks like utilt and fair. I personally prefer him being a comeback char like he was, not the "reach this threshold to annihilate" nonsense. Out of all his cheapness, nothing is worse than jump cancel double team, something that is easy as hell to spam and near impossible to predict or react to. I hated playing AS him, and I hated playing AGAINST him. Despite me not being amazing at him, or my opponent using him to his max potential, he is simply infuriating to fight because his matchups are so specific. You either master his counters and pray you don't get hit, or you die miserably. There really is no in-between. I love him to death in smash 4 cause he plays really well, and he's just fun.

I'm still experimenting with lowering hitstun in my build. So far it's down .4 from normal minus. Feels pretty good. If I lower it anymore I might put it around .48 which would be a little more hitstun than Vbrawl's .45. Honestly with lower hitstun many of the cheap 0 death combos would fix themselves.
I was the only Lucario you fought wasn't I? I still think Lucario gets TOO good with his aura enhancements, but I did fix fair in my build. I'd like to fix utilt in my build as well but it's hard to convince people otherwise. In my opinion it's the speed that makes it broken, nearly all of his tilt attacks are unpunishable and DTJC needs to go. I don't think self damage by taunts or aura sphere is an issue.

Edit by Pin: The latter half of Kien's post was talking about his build in specific, not Minus 4.0. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaMeZ

I hope the power curve really does increase. I'm always for everyone becoming a machine of death in someway, and don't feel like many have really reached that potential yet.

Though I do have on suggestion. Rip the "MAX AURA!" line from Smash 4, and put it in when Lucario does his ultra taunt. :D

Thor

I wish, even as Lucario gets balanced, that he gets some buffs...

Maybe as a nerf compensated with a lesser buff, counter doesn't activate instantly until 100%, but multi-hit fsmash activates at 50% (and close combat still starts at 75%)? Then Lucario's aura could be seen to be powering him up as he goes [and it would make the ultra-taunt more rewarding since counter would be harder to normally access in a stock].

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Or he could just not get such ridiculously strong power multipliers so quickly.