Brawl Minus 3.Q is all Qued up and ready to go!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
@Pin Clock: What's going on? Don't just let Minus stagnate and die. Please hand the reins over to someone who's willing to put in the time and effort to move Minus forward, if you no longer can or just don't want to. You've done a great job so far, but maybe it's time to put someone else in charge.

Minus has no plans to die quietly. In fact, all of us have been busy with matters such as school lately, and because of such there's no time for development. Trust me when I say I won't let this project end without a bang. And a bang is coming, whether it's Minus' last big bang or not!

There are many more devs working on minus then we know. Gold told me once how many there were in the BR, though not who, and I was surprised since we don't see them.

We actually only have around 5 people working on the game. The other reason updates are so slow is because we have so little manpower it's kind of depressing. Me Kien Sammi Tybis are then only ones who have been able to do anything for Minus in the last few months or so. Ellipsis did some things back in August but he hasn't really been around lately either, neither has Mech.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
We need more BRs. Soon this will turn out how BB did and we'll only have 2 people working on it. And I REALLY don't want that.

Other Aether

Mediator
The latest release of Brawl Minus, 3.Q, has arrived! In this Quintessential version of our Quixotic game, we work only harder to take Brawl and Quintuple the Quirky! (while still maintaining the balance Quota). Everyone's been Quacking for it, and I hope you enjoy it without Quarrels (but feel free to ask Questions!). Coming up with Q words pretty Quarrelsome, I Quit. You can Quote this Quotable passage but prepare for a Quiz that'll be Quizzical!
Those are some Quality Q-words, I see you're feeling Quasi-intelligent. You have not Quite Quenched my thirst for Q-words, so I will have to set off on a Quest to find some more. I see you are Quailing, Quaking and Quavering, so I will Quell this Quagmire of Quibbling immediately. I have just about run out of Quips, but my Q sense is Quivering, telling me that there are a Quintet of Queer Q words right around the corner. If you have any Qualms with my Quick wit, put them in the complaint box to be added to the Queue. In the meantime, I will return to my Quaint Quarters, wrap myself in a Quilt, take a hearty Quaff of tea, and stuff myself on Quark while reading Don Quixote.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Those are some Quality Q-words, I see you're feeling Quasi-intelligent. You have not Quite Quenched my thirst for Q-words, so I will have to set off on a Quest to find some more. I see you are Quailing, Quaking and Quavering, so I will Quell this Quagmire of Quibbling immediately. I have just about run out of Quips, but my Q sense is Quivering, telling me that there are a Quintet of Queer Q words right around the corner. If you have any Qualms with my Quick wit, put them in the complaint box to be added to the Queue. In the meantime, I will return to my Quaint Quarters, wrap myself in a Quilt, take a hearty Quaff of tea, and stuff myself on Quark while reading Don Quixote.

Thor

I feel like these boards are kind of dying... we need to spice it up somehow...

I PROPOSE MAKING PICHU NOT SUCK!

Oh wait never mind we don't want to do something truly crazy, that would just be wrong.

How about giving Pichu some sort of healing mechanic then?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I assume that everyone who's capable of making significant changes are still busy with school or other things.

I don't expect any major news until winter break, at the earliest...

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Winter break? That late? I mean, I understand that there's a serious lack of manpower and work and school and such get in the way of devolpment, but it's been fucking MONTHS since the last update. I think that by the end of this month, the update will be released. Of course, it's all just a theroy (a Game Theroy!) since we know nothing at all about the updates and the release dates.

Also Thor, that did sound interesting. Did you have any ideas as to what would heal Pichu?

Windego

Pew Pew Pew Buster
Believe me, if I knew anything about coding I'd be more than happy to help make Brawl Minus keep living or go out with a bang. I like you guys ;__; And I'd rather not go to Smashboards for my Smash needs, I've heard enough stories of how bad the site is :(

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
I'd join, but I couldn't do much coding, which leaves playtester and even then, I couldn't join because I have no Skype. How bad is Smashboards? Is it just a Miiverse clone (off-topicness and trolls as far as the eye can see) or is it going to things like bullying or something?

Valravn

The subforums on Smashboards have a tendency to be a bit elitist, but they're not a bad crowd.

I've personally been ridiculously swamped with school the past 6 weeks or so. I'm hoping that within a month I can get back to streaming and whatnot. I've tried Smash 4, I didn't really like it, and Minus is still my favorite smash game.

Thor

Winter break? That late? I mean, I understand that there's a serious lack of manpower and work and school and such get in the way of devolpment, but it's been fucking MONTHS since the last update. I think that by the end of this month, the update will be released. Of course, it's all just a theroy (a Game Theroy!) since we know nothing at all about the updates and the release dates.

Also Thor, that did sound interesting. Did you have any ideas as to what would heal Pichu?

- Crouching would heal Pichu 1% per second - not only avoid those lasers, but get health back too! Disclaimer - does not work on Kirby's final cutter.
- Fair changes from dealing damage to Pichu to healing damage to Pichu (1% per hit) - the rocket effect can be applied but removes the healing factor.
- Thunder still doesn't hit Pichu, BUT hitting yourself with a Thunder (jump up to it I guess) heals 3%. Feels good to recharge!
- Pichu's taunts each heal between 5 and 10% (no idea as to numbers, would need testing).
- Pummel heals 1%. Volt Absorb!
- I don't know if other moves would still do self-damage or have it removed or what... I don't think Pichu would need more healing methods besides these though (definitely not smash attacks, and I don't think dair or specials should heal either, but I don't know if dair and smash attacks should still hurt Pichu...) [I would guess they still do self-damage, to be honest].

Keep in mind, most people KO Pichu at like 70% [or something silly low like that] so I don't know how much this actually helps... I think, realistically with these buffs, if Pichu gets a star KO it gets back like 16% (triple taunt and crouch for a second), which would then only extend its survival 16% or so - that's like one two-hit combo (everyone does those with ease, or else they are hitting like a truck anyway, so they do that with a single move) - and if someone can manage to heal 15% with well-timed crouches and some fairs, Pichu will gain back about 30% but still dies early, yet skillful play and use of healing can make Pichu live longer (At the same time, an opponent careful to die off the sides, or kill you first, removes 16% of the healing I counted right there, and if you don't get the space to do more than try to hit them with fair, you might be looking at only 5% healed or something...).

ALSO, limit Pichu to two (2) neutral+b mines in the air [or even just one (1)], but they have no expiration timer on them - they will last forever (or until Pichu is KO'd - if it isn't possible to make them only ever expire due to death, then just make them like TL arrows where they never expire, since they don't HAVE to go away on death, but I think it would be a good idea to).

I think this would make a more interesting character - has one heck of a KO move in the air and a healing factor, but generally deals below-average damage and is rather light - how well can you heal mid-match to extend your survivability enough to compensate for Pichu's relative weakness?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I'll fill you guys in on a little development secret: We're taking a few things our coders have already done and will be adding them to the next version of Minus! This is referring to some of Kien's custom build ideas and some of Ellipsis' Pichu ideas!

We're managing to pick up a little steam again, and have managed to get some bugfixes done over the last few days. Development still exists!

Oh, and don't think Nintendo's plans will do anything to our plans unless they tell us directly. We owe you guys some things and you're still getting those things.

Thor

I'll fill you guys in on a little development secret: We're taking a few things our coders have already done and will be adding them to the next version of Minus! This is referring to some of Kien's custom build ideas and some of Ellipsis' Pichu ideas!

We're managing to pick up a little steam again, and have managed to get some bugfixes done over the last few days. Development still exists!

Oh, and don't think Nintendo's plans will do anything to our plans unless they tell us directly. We owe you guys some things and you're still getting those things.

RIP Falco's decent close-range neutral game...

Guess I learn to run away better and camp harder.

Or is reflector keeping the attack cancel, which is literally his only good long-ish range poke (since ftilt is like zero on hit at low percents and his other options are very low range (or fsmash is laggy)? I still say it's fairly predictable and shielding from afar allows one to rush in and beat it out, but I do get it if it's nerfed... since most other top-tiers have gotten more nerfed than he has... still would be saddening though...

Also inb4 Bent is like "Adding mods but not SWP? NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I was about to say just use Ellipsis's Pichu...but...Pin Clock got to it first.

Thor

Ok random idea for a Minus character I may have said before but if not I'll say it now.

@various devs since y'all are the ones who'd implement it [someone want to tag them for me? I know @Sammi-husky and @Pin Clock but I don't know who else is in the backroom except for...] @Kienamaru since this might be valuable for a custom build idea too maybe. @Bent 00 since I think his input would be valuable. @SunderStorm since you also main Falcon, although you aren't as active on here.

I know people have discussed how Captain Falcon's usmash is... well, weird. It used to have a HUGE disjoint, and now it's kinda sorta hard to land sometimes, and can be SDI'd so that you don't always get a followup.

So how about... we replace his current usmash with his Smash 64 usmash!

Think about it - he gets a cool launcher that's clearly a reference to 64, AND it's more consistent than his current usmash since you can't SDI it to escape the second hit.

I think this could make Captain Falcon even cooler to play, with another tool to launch your opponent and start going ham!

I can understand that Falcon is generally considered in need of no changes, but I don't think this would break him, only make one of his options slightly more useful. And just because he's in a good spot doesn't mean we couldn't offer him an improvement! If this makes him too strong, it could always be removed (or we could just buff the rest of the cast a little to catch them back up). Since I rarely see his usmash used, I can't think of what he'd be losing in giving this move up.

Thoughts and opinions on this idea are welcome and encouraged.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
What was is old Usmash?
It was a 17% damage uppercut.

"An upwards punch. This is Captain Falcon's main combo starter outside of forward throw or aerials. The attack sends the opponent straight up, but with low knockback and high hitstun. It is, however, trifled with unusually short range, for an up smash. It is the weakest up smash in the game, but one of Falcon's most useful moves for its combo potential."

Source

I liked Falcon's pre-Nerf Up Smash really well. Would increasing the size of the hitbox -- to around halfway between its pre-Nerf size and 3.Q size -- help stop foes from D.I.ing out of it?

I'd have to test the 64 Up Smash to say more about it. Sounds like a good combo starter, but Falcon already has other moves that do the job better. Taking away one of his kill moves doesn't sound like a good idea IMO.

Doq K taught me that you can combo Falcon Kick into U-Smash. It's pretty effective. Didn't know that until I played him.