sonics FoxTrot is weird.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
I cant seem to make him DD in one direction. He can on DD back and forth. I think it has something to do with him always having that dash lag.

Or is it just human error?

Other Aether

Mediator
It's not Dash Dancing if you just go in one direction. But that's probably either human error or weirdness with Sonic being fast.

Thor

Are you trying to Foxtrot? Or are you trying to long initial dash animation one way -> short initial dash opposite way -> long initial dash so that you move while dash-dancing in a direction over time (sort of like how Marth can DD across FD in Melee because he has an awesome dash animation - turn super fast when going backwards and turn at the end of dash when going forwards)? If the former or the latter, practice [I don't think it's lag]. You could also do initial dash -> crawl -> initial dash.

I'm still waiting for them to make dash-dancing with side+B a thing, unless it is and I'm bad at it.

Other Aether

Mediator
Are you trying to Foxtrot? Or are you trying to long dash animation one way -> short dash -> long dash so that you move while dash-dancing in a direction over time (sort of like how Marth can DD across FD in Melee because he has an awesome dash animation - turn super fast when going backwards and turn at the end of dash when going forwards)? If the former or the latter, practice.

I'm still waiting for them to make dash-dancing with side+B a thing, unless it is and I'm bad at it.
He is talking about Foxtrotting, yes. You can dash-dance with side-b but it's extremely difficult. Unless you mean you want the start-up of side-b to have a period where you can reverse the direction.

Thor

^^^

Yeah that so you can like side+B back and forth really rapidly. Or else dash-dance with the side+b speed and not slow down.

Other Aether

Mediator
^^^

Yeah that so you can like side+B back and forth really rapidly. Or else dash-dance with the side+b speed and not slow down.
Theoretically it's possible, since there are 0 frames of ending lag on side-b, you can start a new one. It is literally impossible to move the control stick from side to side in one frame, though.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Whatever initial dash animation -> control stick neutral -> initial dash animation in same or opposite direction is called, thats what Im trying to do. We call it dash dance because marth looks like hes figure skating when he does it.

I was just screwing with every character and I noticed either sonics initial dash animation is short as hell or it doesn't exist. Squirtle has the same kind of thing but his inital dash is a bit longer so you can (DD?, FT?) But you have almost no time and will usually end up in dashlag

Other Aether

Mediator
Repeatedly doing it forwards is called foxtrotting.

Dashing back-and-forth during the start-up animation is dash-dancing, a melee-age mindgame tactic to make it impossible to tell what you're going to do next.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Which would make it impossible to foxtrot as nobody can move a control stick that fast without it combusting from air friction