How to play Minus on Dolphin

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
Step 1: Download the Minus v4.0b SD.raw (make sure you have a Brawl save already existing)
Step 2: Place SD.raw in your Dolphin's Wii NAND directory. (Dolphin Emulator/Wii/SD.raw)
Step 3: Insert SD Card.
8jHNa.png

Step 4: IMPORTANT IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLE GAMES: On your games list, right click Brawl and select 'Set as default ISO'
Step 5: File > Open on Dolphin
Step 6: Navigate to MinimaLauncher boot.elf/dol
Step 7: Minus should automagically start.

SunderStorm

Edit: Things are somewhat finicky but confirmed for working, in one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrL

Whenever I try this I get an error:
Nrm9Uor.png

When I click ok, it takes me to the same error and if I clock ok again it takes me to a black screen. Any ideas?

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Yes. I. Did.
Gecko will work, just remember the extra files like gameconfig and such

MrL

Thanks for the quick responses, but I tried gecko and got this screen. I looked up tutorials for getting Project M with the Gecko method and tried installing a IOS36 wad into Dolphin but it still happens. Any ideas, again?
O75KMFg.png

rescgaming

I got the same problems, when loading from MinimaLauncher boot.elf/dol, it tells me Game has tried reload a title that is not in your NAND dump". I tried loading the boot.elf from the root, and I get a blue screen on startup after a couple seconds I get in game, but when I move my cursor to the characters in character select, it crashes. The character select screen also has 3 or 4 random buttons. Any help?

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Minima will not work on Dolphin without a NAND dump. Sorry, Glitch....
rescgaming, your issue is BrawlEX not loading correctly. Check if Gecko's Hooktype is AxNextFrame, in the Gecko loading options.

rescgaming

I fixed it, turns out I wasn't using 4.0.2 of Dolphin. Is there a way to play netplay with this method? If not, how would I go about creating a modified iso?

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
I really want to do Netplay with this. Is it possible? How can we create a custom brawl ISO?
There is literally zero need for a hacked ISO if you use the method in the tutorial. If your sole intention is playing online, you'll have better luck in the WFC community.

einsteinsci

My understanding is that an ISO builder is not really an option because Minus uses BrawlEx characters, which the builder that Project M uses is not compatible with.

I tried to load minus through GeckoOS's boot.elf, and the Minus launcher showed up, but it said no DVD was found. I have brawl set to be the default ISO. Is there something else I need to do?

EDIT: Reinstalling the IOS36 WAD file didn't help either.

Isolex

I was able to get to the Brawl minus gecko screen, but after i click launch game it just takes me to the base brawl game. any advice?

Isolex

I don't get it :(. I put the SD.raw into the dolphin wii folder in my doccuments where my other sd.raw was, brawl is my default iso, and it shows the brawl minus screen. It just won't launch as brawl minus :(

Valravn

Looking forward to it. I'm hoping to play back some replays on Dolphin so that I can get 60fps footage.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
If you want one faster you can use the netplay tutorial I made (in the tutorials section of the forums), it has all of the steps to set up Dolphin on 4.0b.

Valravn

Nice! I'll check it out.

EDIT: Trying to solve some problems with replays not playing back properly in Dolpin. I suspect it has to do with the external frame buffer. If I figure it out I'll pass it on. Things are fine at first, then the characters will get off of their proper courses just a bit. (Which makes them both SD pretty quickly, naturally.)