Brawl Minus's Hitstun Explanation (Part 2)

_DX_

Technical Wolf Main
If you haven't already, I highly suggest that you go to this thread first before reading this one http://forums.brawlminus.net/threads/brawl-minuss-hitstun-explanation-part-1.1443/

To Pin Clock and other administrators:
"If you have a point to make and you already hit the post button, don't make another post. if you've made a mistake or have more you wish to say, simply edit your previous post. Exceptions can be made if you are creating something and have an update, but this may not always be the case."

The media selection only allows me to post 5 videos/gifs. I followed everything in the Forum Rules.

Here are some other stuff that you can do with the removal of AOOH (Airdodging Out Of Hitlag)

Credit to Mimsy/@ncmimsy for gifs

Donkey Kong Chain Grabs

Jigglypuff's Zero To Death Combo

Fox's Waveshine

Luigi's Zero To Death Combo

Yoshi's Zero To Death Combo

Hitstun Jank
A user named MelonKeepR made a thread talking about Hitstun Jank (HSJ). During your hitstun animation, if you jump out of your tumbling animation and add it with a move, it will cancel the tumbling animation and flings you into the air. I will be testing this for some characters. This is different from AOOH/Hitstun Cancelling.

Hitstun Jank and Hitstun Cancelling difference

Hitstun Cancelling - reduces the amount of actual hitstun characters have to sustain upon being hit, especially at higher knockback. For example, while a character sustaining 100 units of knockback in Melee will be in hitstun for 40 frames, that character will be in actual hitstun for only 13 frames in Brawl if they air dodge or 25 frames if they attack, and if that knockback value is doubled, the Melee character would sustain an inescapable 80 frames of hitstun, while the Brawl character will still only sustain 13 or 25 frames of hitstun.

Hitstun Jank - similar to Momentum Cancelling, the damage will no longer be at higher percents (160%-200%) due to early KOs. Hitstun Jank is less fast than Momentum Cancelling
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Momentum_canceling

P.S.
The next things I will be talking about will be about Infinite Recoveries and how to do or react to them.

~_DX_ signing out :cmarth:

Last edited:
Note that Headbutt, Transform, Wolf Flash, and "Fire Fart" can instantly be canceled into an airdodge, meaning DK, Zelda, Sheik, Wolf, and Roy can airdodge directly out of hitstun. It takes one extra frame to input an airdodge this way, meaning four frames of vulnerability.

Then there are moves that make the user intangible starting frame 1. These save three frames, making combos that much harder to pull off. Here's how long each one lasts:

:sonic: Nair - 1 frame
:fox: Reflector - 1 frame
:wolf: Reflector - 1 frame
:jigglypuff: Rest - 1 frame
:gnw: Fire - 2 frames
:marth: Dolphin Slash - 5 frames
:zss: Flip Jump - 12 frames
:lucario: Double Team - until Lucario reappears​

Finally, Yoshi's midair jump has frame 1 heavy armor and Bowser's dair has frame 1 super armor.